Where do I start??

richlo

Where do I start??
« on: 22 Jul 2005, 06:59 pm »
My room conf is 16 x 13, with the front wall partial to a hallway (see front pix). There is also a ledge about 4' up (look at rear pix - dvd sitting on top) that goes aroun the right side and the back side of the HT room. I would like to put some 3" OC703 on the bottom half for bass trapping but not sure if I need to do that up on the top half also at the rear sitting. Also, do I go 1" or 2" OC703 for front of the room above the tv (the panels will probably sit on long side instead of a typical standing position). Any advice?

In addition I have a bedroom adjacent that has a door that looks to be a point of reflection for the front speakers, should I do 2"OC703 on that door??
Please advice

[/img][/url][/list]

ScottMayo

Re: Where do I start??
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2005, 07:28 pm »
Quote from: richlo
My room conf is 16 x 13, with the front wall partial to a hallway (see front pix)....

I don't know if this is feasible, but you might be better off turning the room around - putting the speakers/TV where the seating is, and the seating where the TV is. Having that open hallway right behind one of the speakers is going to give you some oddish echo problems on that side. It might not be enough to bother you, but then it might.

You can probably use 1" OC on the reflection points. If the door is a reflection point, yes you'll want to cover it.

If you've got a subwoofer in there, then yes, bass trapping is going to be important. Ethan will certainly be full of suggestions. You'll want to treat all 8 corners if you can.

You might want to move the front speakers out into the room a little, and move the rear ones closer together, but that's something you have to experiment with.

Invest in popcorn.  :D

richlo

Where do I start??
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2005, 07:35 pm »
actually my setup up front has changed a bit, now I have a pulldown screen setup in front of the tv and I have actually moved the speakers apart and have built a center channel stand to make the speakers sorta in line with each other. I will not be able to change the room setup config (although your suggestion was the 1st option I was going to do prior) - but what I plan to do is do is put a heavy curtain across that pathway...

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Where do I start??
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2005, 09:20 pm »
Watch the curtain.  It will absorb a lot of high frequencies and nothing below.  That will skew the highs toward one side and the overall spectrum throughout the room.

Decide where you want things, then come back and let us help.  If you really want serious bass absorbtion in that space, plan on both rear corners - keeps things balanced left to right, addresses the rear of the room, and will do MUCH better than 3" along a flat wall.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Where do I start??
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2005, 10:49 am »
Don't forget that bass traps are just as effective at the ceiling/wall intersections as in the wall/wall intersections.  For first reflection absorption placing panels on top of the ledge would seem to be a natural.