Accoustic Drapes?

hmen

Accoustic Drapes?
« on: 24 Oct 2004, 05:08 am »
My speakers (Newform Research R630's) are in front of a window. Does anybody know of any types of drapes that would help absorb sound.
The room is already very bright. I tried an 8th nerve rompack and it helped a little but the place is way too lively, particalarly the bass. Or am I wrong and the windows aren't my problem. Right now I have vertical blinds that are made out of fabric. BTW, I also have a cathedral ceiling. Any comments on any of this would be appreciated.

warnerwh

Accoustic Drapes?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2004, 07:09 am »
Some heavy draps with that rubber type lining will definitely help. Yes, you're on the right track.  Glass is bad for acoustics.  If you can post a pic of your room it would be helpful.  Some bass traps or other room treatment will help too.  Way to live can and should be tamed. You're not hearing anything what your system is supposed to sound like in a live room like that.

Tonto Yoder

Accoustic Drapes?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2004, 11:42 am »
One soundproofing site lists several used drapes taken from commercial installations.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Accoustic Drapes?
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2004, 03:17 pm »
H,

> Does anybody know of any types of drapes that would help absorb sound. <

Drapes are okay, but the cost per Sabin of absorption is awfully high. The best treatments - for both low and mid/high frequencies - are based on rigid fiberglass.

> I also have a cathedral ceiling. <

Those ceilings have an additional problem: They tend to focus the sound under the center of the peak. This can be solved by placing absorption under the peak.

--Ethan