Room size, and construction materials for acoustic control?

Folsom

I might be living in a space I get to design that quasi a demonstration piece for the place I work for. I will have a private bedroom and some stuff locked etc, however my living room and counter tops and certain things will be demonstration and remodel pieces. However I am requesting a listening room as a short or showcase that can be converted into anything else when I move out.

What would a decent size be? I am in a like 14x18ish atm and find my speakers tend to load one corner a little. The distance seems to be fine out (they are against the 18' wall). Any suggestions? Different shape than square?

What could I use as far as cheap stuff like trim, 1x material (instead of 2x4 etc), carpet/carpet lining, and any other donated type building material supplies that will be at my disposal. The issue is I can not for example use all the solid maple and things like that for this. I could probably tear apart a lot of interior doors and steal the cardboard, or just remove one side of the door and keep the cardboard and put something over it etc....

(the reason I might live in it is super cheap rent, listening room, sink/bike room, close to work!)