Are you thinking about solar?

a.wayne

Re: Are you thinking about solar?
« Reply #60 on: 18 Mar 2015, 12:47 pm »
Where in god's name do you get your information?

You should get out of your little  town more often MacroJack.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/current-events/court-rules-off-the-grid-living-is-illegal/

There are mansions in the Colorado mountains that are 9000 square feet and operate completely off the grid. More common, of course, are home made structures which operate without external power sources. It is not illegal in the U.S. Where are you?

It varies from state to state and best to bet the more who get off the grid will see a backlash from their local power companies . There is a need to know basis that cannot be over looked. 
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2015, 03:31 pm by a.wayne »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #61 on: 18 Mar 2015, 12:57 pm »
The problem for me at this point, is still cost. I think solar is a great idea. I have never looked into panels for my own home, but people that live in my area that I know have paid 25-30K for installation of solar panels.

Combine that with the fact that I would need to replace my roof at the same time (its 15 years old or so), and I am looking at 40-50K to add solar panels to my home.

I don't think I would ever see a return on investment that would be worth it economically. My average electic bill is 250 dollars a month. Assuming I completely eliminated my electric bill, and it cost me 40K to install the panels and roof, it would take me 13.5 years to recoup my investment.

Assuming 25 years maintenance free service, I would have made 35K. Just enough to replace the roof and panels again.

I like the way Phil had the panels integrate with the roof, that is pretty smart. I am wondering as the technology advances, if that would become something that is more prevelant.

Assuming there comes a time when I could replace my roof with solar panels for 20K, well then, that's a no brainer.
Some of your figures may be outdated. Then again, I don't know where you live.

The roof replacement is coming up eventually so that expense is inevitable. You would just be moving it forward. Do you have enough land to put your panels on a rack in the yard? That would skirt the re-roofing concern.
Prices have come down dramatically in the last few years. Perhaps getting a contractor out to the house is your best bet. Even if you decide against the investment, you would then be better aware of the feasibility. And don't forget the 30% tax credit. If you complete the work before 12/31/2016, you can recover almost a third of your investment. With a $3000 per year electric bill, you stand to make up the investment quickly. Also keep the future rate increases in mind when you consider investment recovery. A good solar installer can provide pretty good estimates of recovery time. Be sure to get multiple bids. If you are in or near western Colorado, I can refer you to Craig Carson. My first bid was from Atlanta Solar for $15,500. Then I had High Noon Solar give me a bid which was not in writing because I stopped him immediately when he ballpark it at $28,000. Craig gave me a discount for helping and for fetching all the permits. That saved me about $300. I wound up paying him $11,775 and played out about $330 for my permits and Xcel's engineering charge.
Out here I started by contacting my utility company for an average figure on monthly usage. That number is the basis for everything that follows. I hope you are pleasantly surprised. Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #62 on: 18 Mar 2015, 03:47 pm »
Another inefficiency that central power sources have is needing to produce more power than is needed.  Large power plants don't rev up like a car engine, they can take days to ramp up or down.  So expected peak power (plus a safety cushion) is generated around the clock.  Keep in mind that while the grid is interconnected, the grid is old (a form of infrastructure decay, like the power plants themselves, that doesn't get talked about) and the greater distances for remote sources to support local demands result in even greater transmission losses. 

Local solar sources tied to the grid would be an excellent offset to the typical 3 - 7pm peaks (that correspond to air conditioning demands) and thus reduce the need to replace power plants (that would have to be much cleaner than the grandfathered current plants).  Note that some power utilities do have peaking stations, fueled by natural gas (an abundant and clean fuel) to spin multiple relatively small turbines.  These peaking stations work well with solar, can be sited closer to demand (due to less air, water, and thermal waste), and would also reduce transmission losses.

BTW Jack, seems to me that diesel (for now, fuel cells in the future) produce smaller carbon footprints than battery/battery hybrids when the impact of mining, transportation, manufacturing, fuel production/refining/transportation/transmission, and disposal are all considered (especially small cars in rural areas).  Best of all:  stay at home, shop locally, and travel virtually.

a.wayne

« Reply #63 on: 18 Mar 2015, 03:49 pm »
You like those big oil tax subsidies, eh :duh:? Oil isn't the cheapest way to produce electricity because we aren't charged the real costs at the pump. We need to raise gas taxes now.The indirect costs are picked up by other areas in the economy like health care, pollution, environmental degradation and forwarding costs to future generations

The US should follow the German model. :)
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-08-14/germany-reaches-new-levels-of-greendom-gets-31-percent-of-its-electricity-from-renewables

Not following you , what does pump gas cost has to do with Oil prices at Power production and  with  the population and  GDP per capita of Germany  things can be done differently, ever looked at the taxes ... ? 

Raising gas prices will have a direct increase on the cost of living in relation to everything, best to stop driving and ride bicycles,  like they do in Holland.   Putting  30Million over weight Americans on Bicycles and out of their cars  would make more sense than what you are suggesting .

Improved Health ,  zero pollution ,  win , win ... :) 

a.wayne

« Reply #64 on: 18 Mar 2015, 03:55 pm »
Another inefficiency that central power sources have is needing to produce more power than is needed.  Large power plants don't rev up like a car engine, they can take days to ramp up or down.  So expected peak power (plus a safety cushion) is generated around the clock.  Keep in mind that while the grid is interconnected, the grid is old (a form of infrastructure decay, like the power plants themselves, that doesn't get talked about) and the greater distances for remote sources to support local demands result in even greater transmission losses. 

Local solar sources tied to the grid would be an excellent offset to the typical 3 - 7pm peaks (that correspond to air conditioning demands) and thus reduce the need to replace power plants (that would have to be much cleaner than the grandfathered current plants).  Note that some power utilities do have peaking stations, fueled by natural gas (an abundant and clean fuel) to spin multiple relatively small turbines.  These peaking stations work well with solar, can be sited closer to demand (due to less air, water, and thermal waste), and would also reduce transmission losses.

BTW Jack, seems to me that diesel (for now, fuel cells in the future) produce smaller carbon footprints than battery/battery hybrids when the impact of mining, transportation, manufacturing, fuel production/refining/transportation/transmission, and disposal are all considered (especially small cars in rural areas).  Best of all:  stay at home, shop locally, and travel virtually.

Good Suggestions JLM,

I do favor gas hybrids over diesel hybrids, but both are superior to their batt counterpart, It would be easy during the home construction phase to have these energy saving devices built in , if  Washington really had any intent of saving  us energy, this is where their efforts would  be focused.

A pity , really ..

Regards...

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #65 on: 18 Mar 2015, 04:29 pm »
Moving upstream a bit I urge you to recognize that all of our energy comes from the sun. Whether it is stored in logs or peat, oil or gas deposits, or some other place we haven't found yet. By the same token, all of our food comes from plants which convert it from solar rays. The earth is our battery. What happens once we have extracted and consumed all of our "inexhaustible" supplies is the background question that needs to move forward.

Taking energy directly from the sun rather than using our stored energy is only common sense. And that is what we are really talking about here.

a.wayne

« Reply #66 on: 18 Mar 2015, 04:59 pm »
Waste not , want not   Energy cannot be created  nor destroyed ....

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/energy-can-neither-be-created-nor-destroyed/

Harnessing the conversion  of energy more effectively and efficiently is where our future exist,  I would suggest a bit of reading  on the “Fischer-Tropsch” process or  Thomas Gold's "The Deep Hot Biosphere: The Myth of Fossil Fuels" , also  "renewable crude"  , a fair bit of warning,  this is not for the sky is falling types..

Regards..

Phil A

« Reply #67 on: 18 Mar 2015, 05:10 pm »
When I go short distances I take the hot rod which charges from the wall socket (saves a couple of gallons of gas)

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #68 on: 18 Mar 2015, 05:14 pm »
Phil - Electric vehicle? Good idea.

When all the golf courses are gone we can turn those sites into solar farms and use the thousands of golf carts for local transportation.

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #69 on: 18 Mar 2015, 05:17 pm »
When all the golf courses are gone we can turn those sites into solar farms and use the thousands of golf carts for local transportation.
Right On! :lol:

In California, they will have to close them anyway due to lack of water.

Phil A

« Reply #70 on: 18 Mar 2015, 05:32 pm »
Phil - Electric vehicle? Good idea.

Yes - electric - charging it now as I'll be going down the road later for about 4-5 miles back and forth and coming back late and it has good light - just got the fog lights on.

I did play real golf just once about 20+ years back.  Seriously, I hit more houses than greens.  Pitch and putt or miniature is safer for the houses and businesses that are around when I play (and I haven't done either of those in years either).  I don't want to get up early just to get a tee time and with high end audio I don't have to practice to be good - I only need to buy good gear - much easier hobby (Axiom Audio in-ceiling speakers are going in the main system sometime over the next couple of weeks so whenever I get to Atmos they are there).

I try to get to the gym a few days a week and in the nicer weather take a short 30 minutes bike ride a couple of times a week.  It's a battle when you're older.  I'm 63 and it's not as easy as it was even a half dozen years back. I talked to this guy and his wife I see in Dunkin Donuts from time to time last night and I thought they were in their mid 70s - was shocked when they told me they were only 5 years older than me.  Not that they were obese but they need to do some exercise.  Yes, there are too many obese people in the US.

Phil A

« Reply #71 on: 18 Mar 2015, 05:38 pm »

I don't have much land (0.28 acres) and my development requires you get a well and sprinkler system for the lawn and they take care of yard and sprinkler maintenance (for a fee of course) and check to see that it is not used extensively (they have it on 2 days/week per guidelines).  The house/driveway/pool (which makes its own salt) and landscaping take up most of the land so it is not much water used.  It backs to a wooded preserve (where there are lots of critters like bald eagles) and a lake.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #72 on: 18 Mar 2015, 07:17 pm »

Sorry you feel that way. Most have their own wells. most if not all use organic fertilizers. They also bring major tax revenue to local communities. Golf is for everyone not just the wealthy. The First Tee program has helped more minority people with scholarships and a better way of life.
    Maybe we should eliminate the use of rare earth materials and Mylar for speakers. Which is silly as well. To date the PGA has distributed almost one billion to charities where they have tournaments.

charles

a.wayne

« Reply #73 on: 18 Mar 2015, 07:30 pm »
Enuff  reality Rollo , why interrupt the party .......

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #74 on: 18 Mar 2015, 07:39 pm »
I have never been tempted by golf. Prefer a better class of people than those who are attracted to the course.

I think my lot is a little more than half the size of yours, Phil. My house is probably less than half the size of yours. No pool. So I have a relatively modest electric load to deal with. Gas fired baseboard hot water heat. Gas fired on-demand hot water. Gas cooking. Swamp cooler for AC. No class A amps. No tubes. All we power is light bulbs, common appliances and electronic gizmos like plasma TV (2) and D class amps. We don't even have an irrigation pump.

I think of downsizing but we are in a 1300+ sq.ft. place now and can't get much smaller without undue compromise. There are a couple of financial reasons for staying here as well. So I guess caulking and plugging holes will be my most effective measure at this point. At some point I think I will replace the plasma we use most with some high rez low consumption unit. Even that won't make much diff since we rarely have it on more than 2 hours a day. We do have an upright freezer in the garage I might be able to live without. It's 14 years old and probably an electric glutton. There's my answer.

a.wayne

« Reply #75 on: 18 Mar 2015, 07:48 pm »
Yep, you're a class act ........ :rotflmao:

I have never been tempted by golf. Prefer a better class of people than those who are attracted to the course.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #76 on: 18 Mar 2015, 07:50 pm »

I think my lot is a little more than half the size of yours, Phil. My house is probably less than half the size of yours. No pool. So I have a relatively modest electric load to deal with. Gas fired baseboard hot water heat. Gas fired on-demand hot water. Gas cooking. Swamp cooler for AC. No class A amps. No tubes. All we power is light bulbs, common appliances and electronic gizmos like plasma TV (2) and D class amps. We don't even have an irrigation pump.

I think of downsizing but we are in a 1300+ sq.ft. place now and can't get much smaller without undue compromise. There are a couple of financial reasons for staying here as well. So I guess caulking and plugging holes will be my most effective measure at this point. At some point I think I will replace the plasma we use most with some high rez low consumption unit. Even that won't make much diff since we rarely have it on more than 2 hours a day. We do have an upright freezer in the garage I might be able to live without. It's 14 years old and probably an electric glutton. There's my answer.

Hey my Son is a PGA pro and I a certified instructor. A better class of people is an insult. WTF !Tell that to Arnold Palmer. Just thinking about a better class of people tells me all I want to know about you. Your prejudice is a bit old. At your age one would think you know better than that type of bigotry. I'm done with you buddy. Typical progressive if they do not agree put them down. Is there a moderator present ?

charles

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #77 on: 18 Mar 2015, 07:53 pm »
PV Solar

Pool Solar

And, there is a two panel array on the roof for domestic hot water.

a.wayne

« Reply #78 on: 18 Mar 2015, 07:56 pm »

Help is on the way ......... 

http://www.haarpstatusnetwork.com/2014/12/06/haarp-array-experiment-in-progress-across-california/

rpf

« Reply #79 on: 18 Mar 2015, 07:57 pm »
I agree with Mark Twain that "golf is a good walk ruined".   :lol:  That said, I love golf courses and would not want to see them disappear as long as they're sustainably managed.   :thumb: