Lampizator DSD512 Upgrade?

k6davis

Lampizator DSD512 Upgrade?
« on: 15 Nov 2017, 11:57 pm »
I have a loaded (balanced, pre, Duelund caps) Lampi Gen 4 DSD256 DAC. Sounds fantastic, of course. Keep your Atlantic, Golden & Pacific DAC's away from my ears. :lol: My wallet isn't ready for them yet.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading my DAC to DSD512. Owners of the T+A DAC 8 are over the moon about DSD512. They say that the difference with that DAC is night and day, but I believe that's because at DSD512, most of the internal DSP of T+A DAC is bypassed. From my understanding, Lampi's chipless DSD is inherently "pure" which would suggest that the improvement would be less stark.

I've even read that the necessary clocks for DSD512 have higher jitter which could adversely impact SQ. I have no idea if that is true, or if it applies to the unique Lampi DSD implementation.

Any thoughts, or has anyone experienced upgrading to DSD512 on their Lampizator?

Thanks,
Keith

guf

Re: Lampizator DSD512 Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2017, 12:12 am »
I upgraded my vintage big 7 to the DSD512 with the idea of upsampling everything to the max. I currently only upsample to 128 and would confirm that it sounds better and a worthy upgrade even not using it to its potential.

k6davis

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2017, 12:41 am »
Thanks guf. What level of DSD did you upgrade from?

Is your current server capable of > DSD128? Perhaps with HQP's "-2s" filters?

Shredder

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2017, 10:32 pm »
Due to the recent Amanero firmware update, i have been able to stream 512 with my Microrendu to my Atlantic since early October. IMHO, it  is a huge enhancement. Quieter, richer, with great tone and presence. It is so good that my consideration of new speakers is off the table. I am having trouble imagining things sounding much better.

FWIW, I upsample with HQP using the minringfir-mp filter. Before the firmware permitted playing 512, I up sampled to 128 and used the polisync-xtr-mp-2s. Sounded great with 128, but that filter in 512 gave me a headache (it seems like I could hear the ringing).