Introducing the mind blowing EVS Ground Enhancers!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Introducing the mind blowing EVS Ground Enhancers!
« Reply #340 on: 31 Jan 2011, 10:42 pm »
Yep..one on each neg. post...I've tried them a few places and currently have a pair on the neg. binding posts terminals on the amp itself.
The other pair I have I'm gonna wire them into some headphones and see what that does.

MWG- Most often with a few exceptions you won't blow stuff up...I was deathly afraid of everything going up in smoke when I first came here. Don't be afraid to ask anything...I already asked the really dumb questions and so far I haven't been laughed off here. :thumb:

Randy

« Reply #341 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:01 pm »
Ah, so that's it. Thanks, Randy.

Not saying you will now definitely find any improvement, but I sure like what mine do for my system.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #342 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:15 pm »
I'll just leave them on for a few days to see. I'm concerned about losing high frequency detail.

shh1234

« Reply #343 on: 25 Feb 2011, 07:20 am »
How much does EVS charge for the spade and banana plug versions of the ground enhancers? What type of spades and banana plugs are used?

I sent an e-mail to Ric but no reply after 3 days wait.

kyrill

« Reply #344 on: 27 Feb 2011, 10:18 pm »
well
it is strange that with some setups, it does not seem to work in a positive way
I have emailed Ric today so I am awaiting his response,

His nice price really invites to explore possibilities

teknikly insane

« Reply #345 on: 10 Mar 2011, 05:21 am »
Hi all, my first AC post here. I'm teknikly insane, but you can call me TI. I'm really just gonna pile on here and say I tried a pair on my passive crossovers (Magnat MSP-120's) and after a few hours was wowed by the results. Everything was a bit cleaner and with a bit more detail, but my moderately well tweaked system already sounded good in those areas. The best thing for me though was the much improved dynamic vividness throughout the mids. The crescendo in a CD of Rhapsody in Blue peaks with a new level of aggressiveness and Al Di Meola's intentionally flared guitar notes on Elegant Gypsy really grab me with a whole new level of cool factor - yet there's no hint of overexaggeration or any downside at all. I didn't have the OMG realization that some have had, but shure didn't feel like I got ripped off either! :D More of 'em are in my near future. These I've had in my system since January.

Also, I've had the pleasure to chat a number of times with Ric by phone and I concur with everybody else here that he's the real thing AND a nice guy and I don't think I've ever found a seller who's more in your corner and with less bias anywhere on the planet. I like to think that rather says a lot.

cheers!

Jon L

« Reply #346 on: 15 Mar 2011, 06:20 pm »
Just a little long-term followup for me.  The 4 GE's continue to provide worthwhile improvements in my system and continues to stay :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #347 on: 15 Mar 2011, 09:19 pm »
I put some in headphones, very cool...sound is just floating all around my head, the ear pieces just disappear.  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

bixby

Not so much for me
« Reply #348 on: 20 Mar 2011, 07:27 pm »
Afraid they did negative things in my system.  Diminished resolution, harmonics, detail, etc.  Used RCA on Dac and speaker planes.  YMMV.  May work in some systems.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Not so much for me
« Reply #349 on: 20 Mar 2011, 08:08 pm »
Afraid they did negative things in my system.  Diminished resolution, harmonics, detail, etc.  Used RCA on Dac and speaker planes.  YMMV.  May work in some systems.

I would say from the large majority of positive user reviews in this thread, you may just be right that Ground Enhancers may work in some systems.  :lol: 

Cheers,
Robin

abanks8

« Reply #350 on: 12 Apr 2011, 04:04 pm »
There has been many positive replies regarding the EVS Ground Enhancers.  Now that some time has passed are they still in your system?  Also, what brand of speakers works best with these enhancers?

djbnh

« Reply #351 on: 12 Apr 2011, 09:40 pm »
There has been many positive replies regarding the EVS Ground Enhancers.  Now that some time has passed are they still in your system?  Also, what brand of speakers works best with these enhancers?
I still have mine in play. I'm using Zu Omen Definitions, but have no idea if the GEs work "best" with them. I also have a GE each on the ground posts of my preamp and CDP respectively.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #352 on: 12 Apr 2011, 09:50 pm »
I still use mine, neg. speaker binding posts on the tube integrated amp I'm currently using. I was using another pair in a set of Grado headphones I was modifying but have since taken them off-a bit too bright for me. I use relatively old JBL speakers if that helps at all.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #353 on: 12 Apr 2011, 10:08 pm »

Every system is different as are each individual's listening preference. There is no "1 answer fits all" solution for the use of the Enhancers ( and that holds true for wire, gear combinations, etc). Sampling & doing demo's is the only real way to get the answers you seek.

I'm still using Enhancers on the negative terminals of my Odyssey Lorelei's & Usher X-616's, my Butler 3150 amps, my ACI Force XL sub and my BPT BP2.5 balanced power conditioner. And I expect I always will.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Eric

« Reply #354 on: 12 Jun 2011, 03:28 am »
Any one have a 6 month report

Wolfman

« Reply #355 on: 12 Jun 2011, 07:05 am »
Eric-good post,
or longer????
Just curious.......
Wanting to try these myself.
Thanks,
Maple flavored?
Excellent Youtube Dog video.
Sorry.....
WM

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #356 on: 12 Jun 2011, 07:36 am »
I removed mine a few weeks back, it wasn't because they made my system sound bad it just seemed to me to be a bit too bright overall and some of the dynamics in my system were lacking. I'll try them again in a few months and see what they do then...money well spent for me buying my two pair, its a way to change the sound of my system and easily change it back. I have no regrets about buying them or using them, I still have both pair and plan on continued use.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #357 on: 12 Jun 2011, 08:23 am »
I have not used the Enhancers, but have reported on a variation of this tweak i called the 'Pigtail' tweak. Both here on Audio Circle and over on Audio Asylum in the Tweaks/DYI asylum.
Similar enough, it is just the wire on the negative terminal, with a ferrite core added to the end of the wire.
Seemed to me the idea was going from an old original idea of just a bit of wire, to a more complex wire, so I just added a lot of metal mass at the end.
The results very similar to the results described with the EVS.
Clarity increase, better dynamics, better mids, and lows.

I added even more mass to the ferrits, so now I have bundles of ferrite (three ferrite bundles at the neg speaker end of just the bass wires.. biwired Magnepan 3.6s) and seven at the amp negative terminal (Bryston 4B-SST2), with bunches of extra wire sticking up out of the ferrite bundles.
(I used stuff on hand: ferrites 1" tall and 1/2 diameter, tubes)
Same increase in clarity, also a nice return of midrange fullness I had lost from using several powerline conditioners.
I made one with three ferrite and a bunch of wire for the Rudistor RPX-33mkII headamp, and connect it at the jack with a ring on the outside of the jack ground. (to Sennheiser HD800 phones)
I have used them like this for several months and am quite happy with the results.
Like icing on the cake.
Many others have tried my sort of tweak, and not many good reports. i have to say my tweak version is very system dependent.
I tried the 'nine volt battery' tweak version on the grounds of RCA at the preamp, and did not like that at all.
I did mention in some of those posts i think the EVA is a great way to try this sort of tweak, and thank them for making it so affordable!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #358 on: 12 Jun 2011, 11:49 am »
Elizabeth when I modded my Grado headphones, the ones John sent me, I put an EVS enhancer in each earpiece where the negative wire was soldered and it sounded great, The good ole EVS Ear Treatment...LOL...I'm not sure why I took them out and might be a project for today....rainy here in Northeast.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #359 on: 12 Jun 2011, 01:32 pm »
  For my system the EVS installed at the negative speaker terminal brightened the sound.
  With so many positive reviews and Elizabeths experiments I had to try options. Having excellent results from Mapleshade products my Buddy who is a Mapleshade dealer informed me Ron Bauman was tinkering with the concept.
  Intriuged as per his suggestion I ran 2 8 ft. ribbon wires connected to both positive and negative terminals of the amp. Gave a listen and was taken back as to the result. More info and no added brightness. Bass was clearly defined and better focused.
  The set up is ugly as sin. The results positive for me. During the experimintation phase a 10ga stranded wire with a bananna attached to the end [ mass a la Elizabeth ] proved positive as well, frankly a beter result than the EVS, go figure.
  It was a fun experience to try with varied results. There is something to this tweak and maybe an overall winner for all will appear. In the mean time if you desire give the Mapleshade idea a whirl ya never know until you try.
 :thumb:

charles