LS-C issue probably need a miracle

sandbagger

LS-C issue probably need a miracle
« on: 24 Jun 2022, 01:48 am »
Well pretty sure I know why the voices out of my center channel suddenly sounded like CRAP

Before anyone asks, I was watching F1 Practice last weekend at a not even close to loud volume when it suddenly changed

Now the million dollar question
Danny will your GR NEO3 drop in?
Am I on the hunt for an unobtanium tweeter? if so is there a particular version/model that I am looking for

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: LS-C issue probably need a miracle
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2022, 02:31 am »
The model you're on the hunt for is the BG Neo3-PDRW with deep back cup.

Our tweeters are open backed and are also more effecient than the PDR version, they also dont fit the BG backplates.

Most of the models online are the "shallow cup" version or the standard (non-PDRW) version. They are quite tough to find.

But if you can find an open-backed Neo3 PDRW I can 3D print a deep back cup for it. Then you can glue it to the back with silicone adhesive. Not pretty, but effective, and will still fit the stock faceplate.

sandbagger

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2022, 02:44 am »
Hobbs
I dont need a back cup as I already have one, on the smoked tweeter.  I am guessing I need to glue on?   
I havent looked at it since I built it 10yrs ago or something like that
Since I have the right back cup, do the versions even matter?

I am wondering, how much more efficient are they, as you can see from the first graph, in room, a little bit more probably woudnt be a bad thing?
as for 3D printing, I currently have 4 :O 3 FDM (one is 16" cube)  and one resin DLP that I use for smaller high detail stuff

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2022, 02:59 am »
Good point that will wor just fine as well.

The standard Neo3 uses 10 magnets while the PDRW uses 6, so it's a modest bump in effeciency. The standard model will sound bright compared to the PDRW version in the same circuit, by at least 1-3dB
And a smooth slope is actually very normal for an in-room response from a flat-measuring speaker. An in-room response that measures flat will sound bright/fatiguing by comparison.

The PDRW models also use felt to cover the outer holes on the front and back. Adding yarn or felt to the standard model will improve it off axis response and slightly recipe effeciency, but not enough to match the PDRW.

The back cup helps with bottom end extension, and doesn't really affect effeciency in most cases.
So in order to maintain the proper voicing you will need to get a open-backed Neo3 PDRW then glue the back cup onto it

Ours are based on the standard 10-magnet unit, and use yarn in the front to mimic the off-axis measurements of the PDRW models.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2022, 12:42 pm »
Parts Express has the shallow back cup version:
https://www.parts-express.com/Bohlender-Graebener-Neo3-PDRW-Planar-Tweeter-with-Back-Cup-264-7601

I guess its possible to remove the shallow back cup and put the deep one on.  Possible, but not easy and you would have to be very careful while doing it.  They advertise this tweeter as having a "removable back cup", but I have 2 of these tweeters and the back cups are glued on.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2022, 02:55 pm »
You can remove the back cups with an X-acto knife then glue the deep cup to the new tweeter.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2022, 03:21 pm »
A lot of times you can use heat to make glue more soft and pliable, just FYI.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2022, 03:21 pm »
Let me check. I might have a BG unit upstairs.

sandbagger

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2022, 03:52 pm »
Danny
I was able to get a shallow PDRW , will be putting it together tonight I hope with the deep cup from the dead one
I should be good but will call if I need anything
Thanks

Let me check. I might have a BG unit upstairs.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2022, 03:53 pm »
I have some BG Neo3 PDRs but not any PDRWs. You would need to use your back cup snce the ones I have are open back

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2022, 04:16 pm »
What veneer LS-C do you have Sandbagger?

Robert

sandbagger

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2022, 04:46 pm »
I picked up my LS6 and center used, but the center was still in kit form
Since it was going into a dedicated dark theater, I had Jim Salk(local to me )  paint it for me as it wasnt worth the money or headache of doing veneer with all the rounded edges. 
LS6s are Piano Rosewood though

What veneer LS-C do you have Sandbagger?

Robert

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2022, 06:24 pm »
I picked up my LS6 and center used, but the center was still in kit form
Since it was going into a dedicated dark theater, I had Jim Salk(local to me )  paint it for me as it wasnt worth the money or headache of doing veneer with all the rounded edges. 
LS6s are Piano Rosewood though

LS-6's in Piano Rosewood... DROOL....  :)  You've come down and picked up stuff off me before in Columbus, Ohio.  Is Jim in PA or MI, somewhere like that?

Robert

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2022, 07:38 pm »
Danny
I was able to get a shallow PDRW , will be putting it together tonight I hope with the deep cup from the dead one
I should be good but will call if I need anything
Thanks

There is an easy to to remove the cups. Call me and I'll walk you through it.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2022, 07:44 pm »
Or if you want an easy way out, I think I have a pair out in the shelves in the garage...  I doubt the project I'd planned ever comes to fruition. 

sandbagger

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2022, 12:31 am »
got the back cups off both super easy.... cant believe anyone has any real problems with that

waiting for the silicone to set up and back in it goes.

Danny or Hobbs, sent an email, want to check something crossover releated and cant find my diagrams, think you could send them when you have a minute
Thanks