How good a transport do I need.

hmen

« on: 1 Sep 2004, 02:15 pm »
I just bought the P-1A, P-3A and the monolithic power plant. With the jitter reduction in the P-1A how good a transport do I need to get the most out of the system?

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2004, 02:22 pm »
As good as you can afford......

Sean Parque

• http://www.av123.com
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2004, 09:31 pm »
What Marbles said :)

Rocket

perpetual technologies p1a/p3a
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2004, 10:45 am »
Hi Hmen,

I have the pt p3a (modwright)/p1a/monolithic combo and have received good results from a standard marantz cd4000.

Sean,

Have you compared the combo with different transports.  I've been toying with the idea of buying a tentclock which has an upgraded digital coax board.

do you think it would sound better or does the p1a dejitter sufficiently?

regards

rocket

Jay S

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2004, 12:18 pm »
My view is that its best to have no/low jitter at the source than to have to rely on jitter reduction somewhere downstream.   I am now using a non-oversampling DAC, which due to its low sampling rate is less sensitive to jitter than an oversampling DAC.  Well, transport quality still makes a very significant difference.

Greg Marberry

• http://www.av123.com
Re: perpetual technologies p1a/p3a
« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2004, 05:55 pm »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi Hmen,

I have the pt p3a (modwright)/p1a/monolithic combo and have received good results from a standard marantz cd4000.

Sean,

Have you compared the combo with different transports.  I've been toying with the idea of buying a tentclock which has an upgraded digital coax board.

do you think it would sound better or does the p1a dejitter sufficiently?

regards

rocket

Hey Rocket,

It has been our experience that using the P-1A and P-3A can reduce the relevance of the quality of the transport that you use due to their ability to reduce jutter.  That being said, there are definitely instances where there are discernable differences between transports.  Low Jitter outputs are always the best place to start when searching for the best ultimate playback.  As with cables, I often recommend that people try as many as they are able to in order to determine what will work best for them.