Sony DVD-S7700 mods completed!

Marbles

« on: 7 Apr 2003, 11:31 pm »
I received my S7700 transport earlier today from Steve.  This had a Modwright level 2 mod (with Bybee) done to it before Steve did his mods.

I normally don't like to say absolutes without A/B'ing, and I could not A/B in this instance.

I could not listen to the transport for 2 weeks prior to today so take my comments for what they are worth.

The rest of the system is:  DAC is a Bolder Mensa, pre is a Bent TX102, amps are Symphonic Line Kraft mono 400's, speakers are nOrh marble 9.0's and all cabling is Bolder Nitro.

The music sounded more relaxed and closer to analog, the soundstage seemed wider and deeper, and there was more air around instruments.  The backround seemed blacker too.

I really can't think of an area that wasn't improved over my memory of a few weeks ago.

The music I used was Jennifer Warnes - The Hunter,  cuts 1,2, 8. and 9.
On track 9, The Hunter, I noticed violens that I hadn't noticed before.

Then I played some Herbie Hancock - Headhunter.  About 2/3's the way through Chameleon I noticed some sharp bass guitar licks that I hadn't noticed before.

With Eric Clapton - Crossroads third CD, it was just more realistic in the presentation, wider deeper, with more of a you are there feeling.

I cannot A/B this modded unit with what it was before, but the results are not subtle.  To me there was a significant upgrade.  I have spent a lot more on audio stuff and gotten a lot less in return than this upgrade.

Highly recomended IMO.

randytsuch

Re: Sony DVD-S7700 mods completed!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2003, 11:54 pm »
Quote from: Marbles

I cannot A/B this modded unit with what it was before, but the results are not subtle.  To me there was a significant upgrade.  I have spent a lot more on audio stuff and gotten a lot less in return than this upgrade.

Highly recomended IMO.

Marbles,
just curious how much the upgrade was?

Randy

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2003, 12:48 am »
Robert,

I was wondering if you had a chance to compare between Dan's and Steve's upgrades or did it go from one to the other?

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2003, 12:53 am »
Randy,

You should contact Steve on pricing.

Josh,  I listened for two months or so to the Modwright upgraded version before sending it off to Steve.

I bought it used off Agon and the Mods had just been done to it.

This is the relevent thread on the mods:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1460&highlight=

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2003, 01:22 am »
Randy - I can do the digital mod for $300 plus shipping.  It is mostly independent from the Dan Wright mods, so these are not a prerequisite.  If you are planning on Dan's mods first, send me an email so we can coordinate this.  I am located just a few miles from Dan.  I can also do Dan's mods if he does not want to do them, as he told me he is backing out of the digital mod business.

Jay S

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2003, 01:43 am »
Steve,

This is interesting news.  Have you considered doing similar mods to the Pioneer DV45a and Yamaha 2300?  While the Sony 7700 is a great piece, it has also been out of production for a while.  

Also, just to confirm the work you're doing, you're reworking the digital signal paths upstream of the digital output jack, right?

randytsuch

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2003, 01:55 am »
Thanks for the answers guys.
I don't have a 7700 to mod, was just curious how much Marbles paid, because he was talking about bang for the buck.

Randy

Rocket

hello
« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2003, 09:54 am »
hello audioengr,

it'll be a sad day if dan leaves the modding business.

i have a pt p3a dac and would love to have him modify the unit, may'be with a bit of luck i can afford it later in the year.

i live in oz and shipping is an issue.

regards

rod

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2003, 07:07 pm »
Jay S. wrote:
This is interesting news. Have you considered doing similar mods to the Pioneer DV45a and Yamaha 2300? While the Sony 7700 is a great piece, it has also been out of production for a while.

Also, just to confirm the work you're doing, you're reworking the digital signal paths upstream of the digital output jack, right?

Correct.  I rearrange the parts, cut traces on the circuit board and wire it externally.

I should be able to do similar mods to other players, depending on their circuit boards.  I would have to see the boards and trace out the circuitry to determine this.  I am wiling to give it a try.  If I cannot improve it significantly, then I wont charge you for it.

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2003, 07:18 pm »
Rocket wrote:
it'll be a sad day if dan leaves the modding business.

i have a pt p3a dac and would love to have him modify the unit, may'be with a bit of luck i can afford it later in the year.

i live in oz and shipping is an issue.

Dan's mods for the P-3A are worth it.  I have one as well.  Dan still does mods, he just wants me to take over the digital stuff.  If you decide to get Dan's mod for the P-3A, I can do additional mods that really unlock the performance of this puppy.  They are very difficult though, and time consuming.  It takes most of a day to do them.  Since Dan is located nearby, I can get the box from him and do the additional mods if you want.  It will cost you $500 additional.  They do really stupid things in the circuit, like drive the output with an opamp input pin - this creates a lot of extra noise and reduces the bandwidth of the opamps.  I fix these things with my mods.