ModWright Signature P-3A Specials...

modwright

« on: 8 Feb 2003, 05:07 pm »
We are going to have a few P-3A DACs with our Level II Signature mods available for a good price.  We only have a few at this price, but if interested, please contact us. 503-288-5159

Thanks,

Dan W.

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2003, 05:19 pm »
Just an FYI to anyone interested.  I have listened to Audiojerry's P3A and it is the best sounding DAC I have ever tried.  Anyone in need of a great DAC, would be well served to check this out.

J

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2003, 05:59 pm »
Jackman and anyone else who has heard this DAC,

Could you comment on the DACs dynamics, PRAT and tonal balance?  

I just had a long listening session with the buyer of my Audio Note CD3.1x (I sold so I could get a DAC instead of a player for use with the Sony XA777).  The thing that seperates these two players and clearly shows the superiority of the AN to the Sony is in the PRAT and dynamics.   In my mind the tonal balance of both players is spot on, and I hold this as a very very crucial element, for exceeding a DAC's/Player's ability to do soundstaging, imaging, seperation, the totally overrated and overhyped side effects of a well implemented component.  The AN just had the attack and dynamics to make you tap your foot and really feel like you were there in the venue listening to the band.  The piano sounded more like a piano, horn like a horn, etc.  The Sony is just a bit too polite and smooth in this regard and doesn't let you feel the body of the instruments.

This is the best I can do with audiophile superlatives to describe what I heard and what I am now after.  I am just wondering if someone could comment on how this DAC does in these areas.  I have never heard even the original P3A so this might help in piquing my interest in this DAC.

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2003, 06:40 pm »
I would be happy to give you my impressions but Audiojerry would probably be more suited to provide a more thorough impression of the Modwright's performance.  In non-audiophile terms, it just sounded really natural and much more like live music.  Jerry has compared it to his Classe CDP's (I believe) and compared it to my modded DIO.  The music on the P3A(modded) was much "deeper" and did not seem to have any trace of digital "haze" or any artifacts associated with digital playback.  

I hope Jerry provides some feedback on the sound.  I had never listened to any of Dan Wright's work before the P3A but must admit it was VERY impressive.  I have only compared it directly to the modded DIO, and Classe .5 and must admit the P3A is in a totally different league than the other players I tested.

J

modwright

PRAT
« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2003, 06:39 pm »
Well, it is obviously difficult for me to be completely objective RE impressions of the P-3A DAC, but I will offer the following.

The XA-777ES is a nicely built player and its stock sound on CD is very good, but does tend to be a bit laid back.  I would say that the modified P-3A is probably a bit more dynamic, but I haven't done a direct comparison.  I have found that it does respond well to a high-quality digital cable, specificly in terms of detail, resolution and dynamics.

I would welcome anyone who owns a P-3A Sig. II DAC to offer their input as I don't expect you to take just my listening impressions to heart.

Thanks,

Dan W.

audiojerry

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2003, 05:12 pm »
I've commented on my P3A many times, and I'm getting a little leary about doing it again, because I don't want to be accused of being one of Dan's choirboys.

It is simply the best dac I've used, bar none. It's not that I haven't tried. After getting my P3A, I said goodbye to my $8500 Naim cdp. I also brought in other contenders. NorH CD1, Audio Research CD2, Metronome CD-2V, Electrocompaniet EMC-1 24-96, Bow Wizard. None has measured up to Dan's mods.
Caveat: My conclusions are all based on use with the Monolithic Power Supply, and Jena Labs Trio cryo-treated digital cable. I've never experimented with different digital cables.