Hardware... Receptacles, plugs and power inlets

Big Red Machine

Re: Hardware... Receptacles, plugs and power inlets
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jul 2015, 01:51 am »
So what changed from your previous comments on the gold being too soft and boring to wanting two of them installed?

If fed by Rhodiums and used on digital gear outlets they might serve a purpose. Otherwise they get the boot. They are lowering the noise level as well so $150 outlets better do something.....we will see.

rpf

« Reply #21 on: 10 Aug 2015, 04:47 pm »
Anyone else have any impressions? I'm ordering a Digi-Buss and considering changing my wall outlet so I'd like to hear some more opinions on the two GTXs.

Early B.

« Reply #22 on: 10 Aug 2015, 05:57 pm »
Anyone else have any impressions? I'm ordering a Digi-Buss and considering changing my wall outlet so I'd like to hear some more opinions on the two GTXs.

I've used both the Rhodium and Gold on the wall and prefer the Rhodium for that purpose. Gold is great for a component(s) that could benefit from a bit of refinement.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #23 on: 10 Aug 2015, 07:02 pm »
I've used both the Rhodium and Gold on the wall and prefer the Rhodium for that purpose. Gold is great for a component(s) that could benefit from a bit of refinement.
My experience exactly.  Everything has its' place.

jhm731

« Reply #24 on: 10 Aug 2015, 07:08 pm »
What happens when you plug a Gold plug into a Rhodium outlet?

Hi-Fi Obsession

« Reply #25 on: 10 Aug 2015, 07:19 pm »
What happens when you plug a Gold plug into a Rhodium outlet?

The world begins to turn in the opposite direction.  And toilet water flushes counter-clockwise.

Actually, I can share what happened when I plugged my amp into a gold outlet in my Uber but had the Uber plugged into a rhodium.  I feel like you lose some of the benefits of the rhodium.  Things get smoothed out a bit, and so much of what I like about the rhodium gets masked.  This isn't bad of course if you feel the rhodium takes you too far in the detail direction, but it's not what I was looking for.  I find the Maestro outlets are a better complement to the rhodium.

Based on this little experiment I returned the gold.  I was going to try it in the wall, but I heard enough with my amp plugged into it.

Rob

mdconnelly

« Reply #26 on: 10 Aug 2015, 09:57 pm »
Very informative thread!   There's an interesting article on EnjoyTheMusic posted back last year that included a comparison of the GTX(R) here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0114/audiophile_ac_outlets.htm

It's been years since I toyed with swapping outlets but this thread has me ready to try the GTX rhodium.  Any recommendations on where to buy at a reasonable price? (did I just use the word 'reasonable' in relation to a $200 electrical outlet?)

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #27 on: 10 Aug 2015, 10:14 pm »
It's been years since I toyed with swapping outlets but this thread has me ready to try the GTX rhodium.  Any recommendations on where to buy at a reasonable price? (did I just use the word 'reasonable' in relation to a $200 electrical outlet?)

Well since this is in the PI Audio circle I would say send Dave a message and I'm sure he could give you a great deal on these Furutech outlets. He goes by dBe here and is the facilitator. (In case you didn't know)

mdconnelly

« Reply #28 on: 10 Aug 2015, 11:31 pm »
Tomy2Tone,  Thanks for that.   I've been a very happy Dave customer for quite some time and should have realized he sells these outlets as well. :duh:  And of course, Dave followed up with a PM to me as well.   Order being placed tonight.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #29 on: 11 Aug 2015, 01:16 am »
I've got 2 unopened Gold Furutechs if anyone wants to trade for a pair of Rhodiums. I already had 2 golds and ordered 2 Rhodiums from Japan and they sent me golds.

Early B.

« Reply #30 on: 11 Aug 2015, 03:22 am »
I've got 2 unopened Gold Furutechs if anyone wants to trade for a pair of Rhodiums. I already had 2 golds and ordered 2 Rhodiums from Japan and they sent me golds.

Someone should grab 'em. I have a Rhodium on the wall and today I received a surge protector with a GTX-Gold on it. With only three hours of burn-in, I can say without hesitation that this combo is heavenly. 

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 17 Aug 2015, 08:30 pm »
Hello,

I received a GTXD (R) from Dave to try out in the wall. This is pre-UberBUSS, and Uber is loaded with FPX Gold Recepts. Also using the Powercon 32A Inlet, and either the Mongo II or Triode Wire Labs 7+ feeding the Uber... Mongo for this first test.

Interesting change! I am getting allot of upper mid energy, but it is not harsh. It is however, a bit on the wear me out side....

Now what I do love about it, is the focus, clarity, and perceived lowering of the noise floor. Very nicely focused presentation.

I do think at present, it has me a bit too tipped to the lacking warmth side though (too clean?), like throwing a Telefunken tube in a modern piece of tube gear, so to speak. I don't at this time believe the GTX (R) is neutral sounding. Not in my system at least. I know, Rhodium takes awhile to burn in, so we'll see what this brings. These findings are the day after putting it in the wall.

I also have a polished 5362A coming to try out in the wall as well. I have high hopes for this one, as I prefer my un-plated HG Hubbell in the wall over the FPX (G) (and GTX (R) at present).

Thanks Dave, and if nothing else, this test has absolutely alleviated my thoughts that recepts can't make "too" much of a difference... Well, in reference to the Furutech GTX, they sure as hell do. Even more so than the power cables.

Hi-Fi Obsession

« Reply #32 on: 17 Aug 2015, 09:20 pm »
Paul79,

I'm curious to hear your thoughts after the GTX-D (r) has settled in.  Mine has been in for several weeks but recently I haven't noticed the effects as much as when I first installed... I have no idea if that's just me adjusting to it, or if it actually mellowed out.  Keep us posted!

Rob

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 17 Aug 2015, 10:39 pm »
Hi-Fi,

Something for you to try.... What recept was you previously using?

Would you be willing to reinstall it and share your thoughts again on the differences?

Thanks
Paul

Hi-Fi Obsession

« Reply #34 on: 17 Aug 2015, 10:42 pm »
Paul79, I was using a Maestro.  Not a bad idea, I'll try and get to that over the next 2 weeks or so.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 17 Aug 2015, 11:17 pm »
Oh, I should also mention.... The FPX (G) in the wall is too warm sounding. GTX (R) at present, is too clean, and the un-plated HG Hubbell in the wall is nicely balanced. I just wish it had some of the effects the GTX has that are quite obvious... The lower noise floor, and the supreme focus....

The GTX (R) is not rough, edgy, glaring, that sort of thing.. My system never has this problem. Just a boost in upper mid, and a detachment from the upper bass/lower mid. Hope I make sense.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 20 Aug 2015, 04:07 pm »
Put a few more days on the Rhodium, and it did change. The midbass filled out a bit, but the upper mid is still brutally forward and too prominent. Guess it is gonna be a roller coaster ride for me.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #37 on: 20 Aug 2015, 04:15 pm »
Put a few more days on the Rhodium, and it did change. The midbass filled out a bit, but the upper mid is still brutally forward and too prominent. Guess it is gonna be a roller coaster ride for me.

It's a one month rollercoaster ride minimum. You might want to consider burning them in outside your audio system as the rollercoaster is not subtle at all... Anyway, you have heard these before in my SurgeX so you should have a good idea of what they will sound like after the ride is over.

For less expensive receptacles the unplated FPX is the way to go imo. No, not nearly as good as the GTX but better than any other hospital grade receptacle imo. Furutech's phosphor bronze is the best copper-alloy conductor I've ever heard. However, rhodium plating on their bronze is a bit on the hot and bright side. Not bad at all, but it's a bit more aggressive vs rhodium over their pure alpha-copper, which I feel is very neutral. 

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 20 Aug 2015, 06:37 pm »
Right Dave! The Surge never had this issue here... Sounded quite good actually.

More interesting note, I finally caught a glimpse of something quite stunning. Left the system running while working, took a break, sat down for a couple tracks, and it sounded bloody fantastic! Balanced and supremely focused.. Then like a light switch, back to forward detached mid... Oh my. I got the burn in blues going on over here. But things are looking up!!

jhm731

« Reply #39 on: 20 Aug 2015, 06:54 pm »
Right Dave! The Surge never had this issue here... Sounded quite good actually.

More interesting note, I finally caught a glimpse of something quite stunning. Left the system running while working, took a break, sat down for a couple tracks, and it sounded bloody fantastic! Balanced and supremely focused.. Then like a light switch, back to forward detached mid... Oh my. I got the burn in blues going on over here. But things are looking up!!

Get one of these:

http://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/collections/break-in-devices/products/frycorder-power-cord-burn-in-generator