Are you thinking about solar?

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
Re: Are you thinking about solar?
« Reply #80 on: 18 Mar 2015, 08:01 pm »

Help is on the way ......... 

http://www.haarpstatusnetwork.com/2014/12/06/haarp-array-experiment-in-progress-across-california/

From the above mentioned website: "We will be bringing an end to the drought across the state, bringing in numerous storm systems across the area this month.  California should have the most rainfall out of any state in the United States for the month of December 2014."

I guess they missed the target.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #81 on: 18 Mar 2015, 08:06 pm »
PV Solar

Pool Solar

And, there is a two panel array on the roof for domestic hot water.
WOW!! What is the total panel count? I suppose the photography exaggerates the situation a little but that is one mother of an array for home use. I notice your solar clothes dryer on the front lawn and I guess those towers explain your "handle". Did you say you were in California?
How does the pool heater work? It doesn't appear to be conventional solar collectors. Is the cat real? It should be cooking in that spot if the panels are seeing any sun, right?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #82 on: 18 Mar 2015, 08:09 pm »

Typical progressive if they do not agree put them down. Is there a moderator present ?

charles

What do you mean by "typical progressives"? :scratch:

a.wayne

« Reply #83 on: 18 Mar 2015, 08:10 pm »
From the above mentioned website: "We will be bringing an end to the drought across the state, bringing in numerous storm systems across the area this month.  California should have the most rainfall out of any state in the United States for the month of December 2014."

I guess they missed the target.

Those pesky details .....  :lol:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/biggest-storm-in-nearly-10-yea/38714708

Dec:2014

The strongest storm so far this season and in the last four to 10 years for California continues to deliver drenching rain to hard-hit drought areas, along with the risk of damaging winds, flooding and mudslides.

:rotflmao:

Phil A

« Reply #84 on: 18 Mar 2015, 08:45 pm »
This is sort of what solar pool heating looks like around my way - http://suacci.com/solar-pool-water-heating/

I have panels all over for the house and if they did mine it would have to be on the roof above the second floor bonus room.  I spoke to the solar people when they came over and showed me how to work the hot water heater.  Probably would cost $6.5k.  I can live without it and heat the spa portion of the pool with the gas heater I have a couple of times a month.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #85 on: 18 Mar 2015, 09:17 pm »
Is it just me, or does a.wayne seem like a really unhappy guy?  Most threads I see him in seem to take a negative tone once he starts posting. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #86 on: 18 Mar 2015, 09:20 pm »
Another vote for golf. 

The sport attracts a much better breed than any other major U.S. sport (unless you count tennis) and can be a life long past time.  Just look at the arrest rates of pro golfers versus professional baseball, football, or basketball players.  Completely understand if you don't care for the game.

Golf courses are often located in hills or flood planes (not suitable for development) or make for nice vistas for residential development.  And which would you rather live near, a golf course or a sports stadium?

a.wayne

« Reply #87 on: 18 Mar 2015, 09:44 pm »
Is it just me, or does a.wayne seem like a really unhappy guy?  Most threads I see him in seem to take a negative tone once he starts posting.

Nah, it's just you , good try in making it personal thou ........   :roll:

Tyson

« Reply #88 on: 18 Mar 2015, 10:16 pm »

Nah, it's just you , good try in making it personal thou ........   :roll:

That wasn't making it personal.

YOU'RE A DICK

There, now it's personal. 

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #89 on: 18 Mar 2015, 10:29 pm »
WOW!! What is the total panel count? I suppose the photography exaggerates the situation a little but that is one mother of an array for home use. I notice your solar clothes dryer on the front lawn and I guess those towers explain your "handle". Did you say you were in California?
How does the pool heater work? It doesn't appear to be conventional solar collectors. Is the cat real? It should be cooking in that spot if the panels are seeing any sun, right?
40 panels=6.5Kw. The photo was shot with a wide angle lens, so it does exaggerate the foreground, and the cat is real. The panels only get moderately hot, a little more so during summer afternoons. There are actually 3 ham radio towers. And, yes, California where our upper tier electric rates can approach $0.50/Kwh. Average is about $0.22/Kwh. The pool array is typical for pools.

Phil A

« Reply #90 on: 18 Mar 2015, 10:35 pm »
My system is 8.6KW.  It makes it easy when electricity costs are controlled.  In my old house which was about 16.5 years old when I sold it, I had put two new furnaces/AC units in (had to) about 5 years before I left and new windows (got rid of the builders grade crap) and that made a nice difference in the utility bills.

a.wayne

« Reply #91 on: 18 Mar 2015, 10:47 pm »
That wasn't making it personal.

YOU'RE A DICK

There, now it's personal.

I prefer what your wife calls me, her favorite is "ohhh my god"   Mr internet tuff guy  ..........  :lol:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #92 on: 18 Mar 2015, 11:03 pm »
Tyson - Please don't antagonize him. He is apparently a troll who would like nothing better than to have this thread binned. I've been ignoring him deliberately so as to avoid bringing immoderate moderation to bear.

Speaking of moderation - where are you? a.wayne has been attacking and insulting several of us in violation of policy.

Tyson

« Reply #93 on: 18 Mar 2015, 11:31 pm »
Tyson - Please don't antagonize him. He is apparently a troll who would like nothing better than to have this thread binned. I've been ignoring him deliberately so as to avoid bringing immoderate moderation to bear.

Speaking of moderation - where are you? a.wayne has been attacking and insulting several of us in violation of policy.

You are right, of course.  I can't think of a single thread, hell a single post, where a.wayne actually contributed something positive, or used a non-sarcastic, non-condescending tone.  So I figured he was/is a profoundly unhappy and toxic person.  Or maybe just a jerk.  Or both.  I let it slide for a long time without saying anything, but seriously he's crapping in a solar power thread?  A SOLAR POWER THREAD?  Good lord it's the straw that broke the camel's back (for me).

I wish there was an "ignore" option on AC for individual posters.  My life (and I'm sure others') would be much better off if he just disappeared entirely.

Tyson

« Reply #94 on: 18 Mar 2015, 11:57 pm »

I prefer what your wife calls me, her favorite is "ohhh my god"   Mr internet tuff guy  ..........  :lol:

At 6'1 and 230 lbs, I really don't think you are her type....

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #95 on: 18 Mar 2015, 11:58 pm »
Soooooo ----- once again --- from the top

I'd like to hear from anyone who is interested in solar electric for their home. Many seem to feel it is just too expensive or the payback time is too long. Nowadays, with the 30% tax credit still in force for a limited time, and with lower hardware prices and higher output panels, the cost has dropped pretty dramatically. Many are finding that the payback is less than 7 years, leaving between 15 and 18 years of pure profit to be enjoyed. In locations where there is an incentive program from the state or the utility or both, the payback can be even shorter.

So get involved in the discussion. Ask your questions. Join us in exploring the topic ever further.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #96 on: 19 Mar 2015, 12:00 am »
At 6'1 and 230 lbs, I really don't think you are her type....

Tyson - Don't touch the tar baby.

Pez

« Reply #97 on: 19 Mar 2015, 12:12 am »
Macrojack,
We are a very power hungry family apparently. It's so bad that paying for solar is instantly saving us money. We are amazed by just how much we will save. What Solar city is doing is 30 year loan at 4.5%  with deferment of payments for the first 18 months plus we get a sizable credit from Uncle Sam which covers about 1/3rd of the cost. Of course interst starts accruing right away so we will be making principle payments during that time period. An idea I had was after the 18 month deferment period is up I would get a home equity loan which are around 3.5% or so, use it to pay for the balance on the panels then get the tax write off because of the heloc. Once we pay the panels off our monthly energy bill will likely be less than $20! The prospect of that is pretty exciting.

Also since we have a huge roof with exposure for most of the day we can go well beyond what our current energy needs are. In the future I am contemplating adding an electric tankless water heater which will reduce our gas consumption as well. It feels great to be energy smart and drastically reducing our carbon footprint. I'm really proud of that fact.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #98 on: 19 Mar 2015, 01:22 am »
Pez,

Check with your state regulations.  It's not uncommon that the utility only has to buy back how much you use over the year, after all the concept of buy back is for the consumer to save money - not to go into the energy business. 

Consider too that a large PV array could require more than a 200 amp service/panel.  Better to look into solar hot water generation before "oversizing" a PV array. 

A good point made above:  consider all those possible roof penetrations (potential leaks) and ruining a perfectly good/newer roof.  All penetrations should be flashed (overlapping metal sheet metal), not just caulked.  (That's why I'm looking to do solar panels as a patio shade, not over a roof.)

Pez

« Reply #99 on: 19 Mar 2015, 01:35 am »
Thanks for the advice! I'm not 100% up on our state regs but I do know that colorado will only let you go as high as 99% solar production. We do 'sell back' to the grid but we can never exceed what we get out per annum.

As far as our roof, we have a concrete tile roof and solar city told me they have a very specific way of attaching to the concrete and only have one point in which they conduit into the roof with a specialized tile of some sort. Solar City is incredibly thorough! They have explained everything at every step of the way, never pressured us into any decision and have been very transparent. They come with my high recommendations for those of you non-DIYers.