Audio Nirvana Super 10 Ferrite on Open Baffle...

gils

Re: Audio Nirvana Super 10 Ferrite on Open Baffle...
« Reply #40 on: 7 Jun 2018, 12:01 pm »
it is a raw measurement at 1 m with filter of the infraflex, its fs is 27 Hz.

now another measure at 1 m without filter, I did a lot of measuring :)

this Infraflex  (sub open baffle)

cdt.Gilles

Chops

« Reply #41 on: 7 Jun 2018, 01:48 pm »
Let's not go off topic or thread highjack here please.

gils

« Reply #42 on: 7 Jun 2018, 02:38 pm »
Let's not go off topic or thread highjack here please.

actually, but I just wanted precise measurements, a speaker at 700 $ deserves to be precise, I would be interested, I do not want to throw money out the window if the speaker in question is not good .
I will not bother you anymore.

cdt.Gilles

Skeeboingen

« Reply #43 on: 11 Jun 2018, 05:35 pm »
I'm avidly watching this!  I've been considering this driver for a project I have in mind, however due to circumstances I will need to mount it vertically with an "acoustic lens".  I hope this arrangement would mitigate any 'beaming' that may be inherent in the driver.

~S

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #44 on: 11 Jun 2018, 07:11 pm »
actually, but I just wanted precise measurements, a speaker at 700 $ deserves to be precise, I would be interested, I do not want to throw money out the window if the speaker in question is not good .
I will not bother you anymore.

cdt.Gilles
Around $300......the Alnico runs about $700.....a pair.

Chops

« Reply #45 on: 12 Jun 2018, 01:40 am »
Actually, $900+

$350 for a pair for AN Super 12 Ferrite drivers
$450 for 3 pairs of Eminence Acoustinator drivers
$100 for a lightly used pair of Eminence Acoustinator drivers

kheidenr

« Reply #46 on: 15 Sep 2018, 05:52 pm »
Chops - thanks for sharing your experiences here.  I am very interested in the outcome of your efforts.  I am wanting to do something similar - perhaps Audio Nirvana 15" Classic as a full range driver with 4 woofers supporting on each side - yes like the Quintet 15"s.  I would love to be able to drive the speakers with a 2 watt amp like Decware's Zen Triode 25th Anniversary amp.  I just bought a pair of Zenith 49CZ852s and am waiting on those to arrive as a first effort on open baffle.  Will make a simple baffle for these and drive them with my current solid state setup - but thinking of building a spud amp kit for $390 to match with these.

How are the AN12s sounding?  Have you made any progress on your baffles?  Would love to hear how things are progressing.

Thanks,

Horizons

• Restricted
« Reply #47 on: 20 Nov 2018, 10:14 pm »
This thread looks pretty dead but I will go ahead and share some experience.

I used the 10 super ferrite in an OB and it was probably the most 3D and transparent speaker I have ever heard. Used it will a few sealed subs. I'm sorry I sold them. Upgraded to the 15 classic Alnicos which I really didn't care for. I tried to like them but for me the super has better highs and the classic was too rolled off. David will hate me for posting this.

My next OB project will be dual 12-inch Supers on a plex panel run full range. I'm hoping the dual 12s will give me more bass with the magic of the OB 10s.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #48 on: 21 Nov 2018, 09:41 am »
classic was too rolled off.
What kind of music do you listen?

Horizons

• Restricted
« Reply #49 on: 28 Dec 2018, 05:56 pm »
Listen to pretty much everything except for rap.

The classics are rolled off. I don't care what David says. I find the highs in the super drivers much better. I think they are more integrated than the classics with high end tweeters. I tried to make the classics work but it just never happened.

Having said all of the above, I really can't overstate how good the supers sound on an OB. Everyone I played them for stated that it was the best sound they ever heard. I agree.

Bemopti123

« Reply #50 on: 28 Dec 2018, 06:48 pm »
Listen to pretty much everything except for rap.

The classics are rolled off. I don't care what David says. I find the highs in the super drivers much better. I think they are more integrated than the classics with high end tweeters. I tried to make the classics work but it just never happened.

Having said all of the above, I really can't overstate how good the supers sound on an OB. Everyone I played them for stated that it was the best sound they ever heard. I agree.

I don't want to sidetrack the topic but Bumpy's OB experiments with the videos show you the quality that perhaps you found disliking.  To me the Youtube video with all the Alnico driver elements sounded a like thick.  I used to call something that has decent HF with Alnico midrange and bottom end "robust sounding" but what I can think about now after listening to the video is "thick."  And in this case is it perjorative.  Perhaps a good tweeter crossed low would have complemented the situation better.

Bumpy

« Reply #51 on: 28 Dec 2018, 11:50 pm »
Hi Bemopti. I would appreciate it if you posted these comments on my thread so we can debate it properly. I am interested to hear your comments :)