Tidal connect

Vinrouge

Tidal connect
« on: 8 Jun 2023, 02:23 pm »
Hi all.
Anyone knows if the Connect function works on Bryston bda-3.14?
Thanks for helping.
Cheers!

zeeman

Re: Tidal connect
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2023, 04:25 pm »
I believe current Bryston gear does not support Tidal Connect and it likely won't in the future.  You would use Manic Moose or Roon to control the BDA 3.14 or the BR-20.  I can tell you from personal experience that Roon running the BDA 3.14 (and other components in my house) is excellent, and I highly recommend it.

Vinrouge

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2023, 04:39 pm »
Thanks.
Just what i needed to know before trying Tidal subscription. I use MM and Roon with Qobuz right now. Roon is handy but MM sounds way better.

zeeman

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2023, 04:48 pm »
Thanks.
Just what i needed to know before trying Tidal subscription. I use MM and Roon with Qobuz right now. Roon is handy but MM sounds way better.

Ok!  Roon should be bit perfect at any resolution, so I'm surprised to hear Manic sounds better.  Could be a good new topic for discussion.

Vinrouge

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2023, 05:47 pm »
For me, MM sounds a little more brighter and less densed. Not shure how and maybe my ears or brain playig tricks on me but roon uses thete own Raat thing. That's why Audirvāna also sound much better than Roon.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2023, 02:55 pm »
Roon should be bit perfect at any resolution, so I'm surprised to hear Manic sounds better.  Could be a good new topic for discussion.

The audio data transfer will be bit perfect (minus DSP or other things going on, which Roon will show you in the signal path display), but the concern voiced by many people about Roon sounding different than other (usually device-native) playback solutions is around side-channel noise or resource load.

Pironi

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2023, 07:31 am »
I can definitely confirm that MM sounds much better than Roon (with all dsp's switched off)
On the other hand I can not connect MM to my NAS for the last year and I have to manually transfer files and connect USB sticks every time I want to listen to something natively.
So I'm investing to a new cartridge and moving away from digital. Thanks BDA314 :duh:

Blik9

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2023, 11:32 am »
Hi. I am not that technical and have been using my BDP-2 with the Manic Moose and Tidal for the last ten years in the same configuration. I have updated fimware from time to time, but never updated Manic Moose. Is there an update? I am having trouble finding out.

John541

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2023, 02:57 pm »
I can definitely confirm that MM sounds much better than Roon (with all dsp's switched off)
On the other hand I can not connect MM to my NAS for the last year and I have to manually transfer files and connect USB sticks every time I want to listen to something natively.
So I'm investing to a new cartridge and moving away from digital. Thanks BDA314 :duh:

Apologies for butting in but I noticed the comment about not being able to connect to the NAS. Have you checked whether this is because MM uses the SMB1 protocol which, by default, is disabled on most modern devices? There will  probably be a setting on your NAS to enable SMB1, if you choose. (I've enabled SMB1 on my NAS.)