High Quality Preamp?

Ericus Rex

Re: High Quality Preamp?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2009, 12:05 pm »
You could find a Counterpoint SA-7.1 or 3.1 or SA-1000 or 2000 for that.  Older yes but still great stuff!

Ditto on the Forte stuff.  All their pieces are great bargains.

Good luck on the passive buffer pre.  Sounds fun!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #21 on: 25 Oct 2009, 01:03 pm »
There used to be an outfit in Florida called Reference Line. He made an exquisite passive preamp with numerous inputs. I have his model 3000 which I will probably never sell. Mine is copper wired but he was more famous for his silver wired version called The Pre-Eminence, as I recall. There were dual mono units, balanced units, and even one with a motorized remote volume later on. These are rare today though he sold a lot of them back in the 1990s.

If you can find one the price will be under $500 and the sound will rival anything out there. I compared a PreEminence to a CAT preamp had I had back then and actually preferred the Reference Line. Keep in mind you'll need outboard phono with this choice.

Barring this suggestion, I doubt you can beat that Superphon.

moremoremore

« Reply #22 on: 30 Oct 2009, 04:29 am »
I opted for the Superphon after all, and I'm happy I did.  Finally, a real preamp!  And after giving back my friend's phono stage a week ago, I'm missing spinning my vinyl, so I'm looking forward to next week.
 :thumb:

moremoremore

« Reply #23 on: 30 Oct 2009, 04:30 am »
One more thing; I almost forgot.  Thanks to all of you for your well-considered suggestions!