High Quality Preamp?

moremoremore

High Quality Preamp?
« on: 19 Oct 2009, 04:44 pm »
I would like to build, modify, buy or steal the highest quality SS or tube preamp I can find for under US$500, phono stage preferred but not essential.  Three RCA inputs would do.  A preamp in used condition is definitely a preferred option for me.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Re: High Quality Preamp?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2009, 06:11 pm »
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1260552502&/Sonic-Frontier-SFL-1-excellent

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1260321098&/Melos-Sha-1-Linestage/-Head-Am

Or a Forte Model 2 (neat solid-state preamp designed by Nelson Pass, w/ phono)...or a Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid (excellent three-12AU7 design).

Or build an Aikido line stage w/ phono board, but I don't know when he'll be back in stock for all items...http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/newhardware.html

Tons of options out there :)

chadh

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2009, 09:19 pm »

maxwalrath

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2009, 09:35 pm »

Just saw this one on Audiogon: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1261169663&/Juicy-Music-Peach-With-NOS-Tub

Chad

I sent a full price offer along about 40 minutes ago (when the ad only had about 15 views)...still awaiting a response.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2009, 09:38 pm »
Good move! :thumb: At that price it's certainly a bargain.

-Roy

Mariusz

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2009, 10:33 pm »

Just saw this one on Audiogon: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1261169663&/Juicy-Music-Peach-With-NOS-Tub

Chad

I sent a full price offer along about 40 minutes ago (when the ad only had about 15 views)...still awaiting a response.

I think that my offer was $50 better then yours. :green:

(just kidding - I am not Agon member anymore.)

I hope you get it. IT IS A STEAL !!!!!

Mariusz :thumb:

jaywills

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2009, 11:03 pm »
You might consider a Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid (no affiliation).  Cordially,

maxwalrath

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2009, 11:05 pm »

Chad

:lol:Thanks!  Still no word from the seller, so I'm guessing someone beat me to it or offered more money.  I knew it was a steal and thought about offering more than the asking price, but I'm good and broke right now and really can't afford another preamp. 

Actually, if anyone wants it I'd strongly encourage offering more than $450 to the seller on A-gon.  I really don't need it...

Mariusz

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2009, 11:36 pm »

Chad

:lol:Thanks!  Still no word from the seller, so I'm guessing someone beat me to it or offered more money.  I knew it was a steal and thought about offering more than the asking price, but I'm good and broke right now and really can't afford another preamp. 

Actually, if anyone wants it I'd strongly encourage offering more than $450 to the seller on A-gon.  I really don't need it...

If you get it and do not want it, I'll be happy to help you get that headache out of your hair.
I've listen to Juicy Music on few occasions and it would be hard to beat at this nutty asking price.

On the side note.
The price range in this thread might be a bit off but examples given are really tempting and worthy of this Circle's title. I am willing to band the rules a little as long as it is in the Circle's spirit.

Have fun guys. :thumb:

Mariusz :wink:

maxwalrath

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2009, 02:51 am »
Well, I got the Peach.  I'm looking forward to giving it a listen.  Keep an eye out for a bunch of gear for sale soon!  I hope the Peach makes the cut and sticks around the system for a while...I'm liking the wood case.

For the OP, I've enjoyed the Eastern Electric Mini-max pre, which can be had around that price.  It is very sensitive to tube rolling and can be customized to suit your tastes to some extent.  Also, used Modwright Beta Preamps are sometimes for sale for $5-600. 

Mariusz

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2009, 03:20 am »
Lucky you! :beer:

2gumby2

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2009, 10:53 am »
I have a Carver CT-3 preamp tuner that performs very well. You can find them used for less than $500 and I highly recommend it.

moremoremore

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2009, 02:05 am »
Thanks for the great advice!  I'm sorry I missed out on that JMPeach preamp!  I've considered the GG preamp from Transcendent Sound, as I'm a fan of Bruce's work.  But right now I'm leaning towards building a Nelson Pass Buffer B1.  It's a passive preamp, but it allows downstream components to see easy loads, while not using negative feedback.  The main thing is that a buffered passive preamp supposedly eliminates a typical passive device's achilles heel: not enough dynamics.  I figure I can build one for a little over $100 using p2p construction.  Then I can build a Phonoclone3 for the DL-103R I don't own yet (using a borrowed PhonoBox with a Sumiko Pearl cartridge).

My near-term goal:
DL-103R > Phonoclone3 > B1 > Sure Electronics Tripath amp > BK-16 Fostex FE-166/Sansui supertweeter

Yup, I'm kind of cheap.  :dunno:

Thanks for all of your cheap but good preamp suggestions, and here's another one: Jim McShane's tube preamp kit that will be going for $200 sans enclosure.
 http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane/citpage.htm#parts.htm

toobluvr

« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2009, 03:35 am »
Well, I got the Peach.  I'm looking forward to giving it a listen.  Keep an eye out for a bunch of gear for sale soon!  I hope the Peach makes the cut and sticks around the system for a while...I'm liking the wood case.

For the OP, I've enjoyed the Eastern Electric Mini-max pre, which can be had around that price.  It is very sensitive to tube rolling and can be customized to suit your tastes to some extent.  Also, used Modwright Beta Preamps are sometimes for sale for $5-600.

I own a JM Blueberry Extreme.   I also have an EE Minimax on loan from a friend.

The Minimax is  VG for the price....usually about 500 - 600 used.   But getting the Peach for less than that is not a great deal....it is highway robbery!   
:lol:

That seller is out of his friggin mind for selling it that cheap......as evidenced by how quickly it sold! 

Since I own JM I watch the market.  He could have gotten at least $600 more!
 :o

Nice job Max!  if you ever need to sell it, you will make a profit.  Guaranteed!

:thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2009, 04:00 am »
You might look at John "The Chair Guy"'s pre for sale- an older Superphon with upgraded caps.  Might be what you are looking for.

maxwalrath

« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2009, 04:45 am »

The Minimax is  VG for the price....usually about 500 - 600 used.   But getting the Peach for less than that is not a great deal....it is highway robbery!   
:lol:

That seller is out of his friggin mind for selling it that cheap......as evidenced by how quickly it sold! 

Since I own JM I watch the market.  He could have gotten at least $600 more!
 :o

Nice job Max!  if you ever need to sell it, you will make a profit.  Guaranteed!

:thumb:

Thanks toobluvr!  I think the price has come down a bunch now that the version 2 is a few years old.  It was actually pretty difficult to find reviews and info on the Peach 1.  The price is also related to the condition, which I don't mind at all...5/10 gear is fine for me.  So have you compared the Peach to the Minimax?  The only 2 pre's I really know well are the Minimax and the Modwright...and to a much lesser extent the Adcom 750.

toobluvr

« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2009, 02:26 pm »

True about the condition....that drags the value down.  Despite being replaced by V2, good condition V1 Peaches have still been selling in the 1000 to 1100 range.

I've never heard the Peach.  There was a recent ad up on AG in which the seller said he owned both JM pieces, and he preferred the Peach.  But who knows, it's often hard to separate marketing blather from the truth.     :dunno:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2009, 04:56 pm »
Here's an idea for a $300 kit from an American company:

http://www.decware.com/zplates/zplatesp1.htm

The Decware house sound is not typical tube like (it's fast/lean, almost solid state like compared to some sloppy/warm tubes).

weirdo

« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2009, 06:22 pm »
Theres a guy who sells almost exclusively on Ebay. Aric Audio. He hand builds tube preamps and can customize the number of inputs and outputs you
need. His prices are around 400 for his best unit. Simple and fun, in line with the objectives here. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2009, 10:30 am »
Might want to look at the Hagman Clairnet (half kit is $119).

Another promising option is Space Tech Labs Model no:QA-001 ($480, with the U.S./Canadian exchange not the deal it once was for us below the border).

Yet another AC sponsored vendor is Mapletree Audio Design.  Look at the Model 2A SE ($660 for the kit, sorry but again beyond the scope of this circle).

Regarding cost: many cheap and cheerful systems are starters, so having one higher quality anchor piece to launch into the next level should be expected and perhaps encouraged.