JBL or Sansui speakers for the barn?

rockadanny

JBL or Sansui speakers for the barn?
« on: 8 Oct 2009, 11:46 am »
I am looking to add an el-cheapo system to my barn and thought I'd start with speakers - I will not be using a sub. Local CL has these two pairs for sale for $40. Any thoughts on either of these?

1. JBL 3-way tall bookshelf speakers model GT-338

2. Sansui 3-Way Bookshelf Speakers. Speakers feature an air suspension system with 8? woofer, 4? midrange, and 2? tweeter.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: JBL or Sansui speakers for the barn?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2009, 12:17 am »
In my best Tommy Chong impression "Get the JBLs, man!"

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2009, 12:45 am »
At $40 per pair you may not care about this but I'm sure it would be easier to get replacement parts for the JBLs.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2009, 01:39 am »
The Sansui at first glance looked like it had a ribbon tweeter, but I see that is just a hokey facade over a cone tweeter.  It's trying to look like something it's not. Form over substance, most likely.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the JBL has a dome tweeter which might be more effective in the high frequencies, what with all the absorption by barn wood and bales of hay.

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2009, 01:43 am »
Barn = Lots of cubic area
Sansui = Lots of bass
JBL= Weak/thin sound

?????

Bob

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2009, 01:48 am »
at that price - even if you couldn't barter 'em down - you could yust buy both, and see what you like best.  i have older sansui's - sp2500's - that i picked up on cl in my area, and they acquit themselves quite well.  when i eq'd them w/my deqx, they were nothing short of amazing.  but, those sansui's do not look to be the same caliber speaker as the sp2500's...

doug s.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2009, 01:49 am »
Sansui = Lots of bass
JBL= Weak/thin sound

?????

But Bob, the JBLs have TWO "hoofers".

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2009, 01:52 am »
Took me a minute, but I get it.  :lol:

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2009, 02:18 am »
Sansui = Lots of bass
JBL= Weak/thin sound

Bob, did you make it up to my barn to listen to my ne JBL 4410s at the Bash? two words......HOLY CRAP! these things sound SO much better than my Sansui SPX-8000s, its not funny. That silly little system sounds seriously good...as in it could easily be a darned fine (more than) starter system.

My vote goes for the JBLs !   ...oh, they have kick a$$ bass too.

hmen

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2009, 02:41 am »
Maybe you should buy them both and stack them. :lol:

I would go for the JBLs

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2009, 09:56 am »
My first half way serious audio purchase was a pair of JBL's that I got at half price (grand opening special of a local shop in the 70's).  Used most of the way through college.  They were large sealed standmounts with an 8 inch full range driver and 8 inch passive radiator.  Not much for the treble, but lots of mid bass. 

I recall coming up from the basement in our 300 student dorm and heard a particularly loud stereo playing.  As I got up to the 4th floor (the study floor) it was still getting louder and then realized someone was cranking on my stereo with those speakers.

rockadanny

« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2009, 05:33 pm »
Thanks for the great responses thus far! I found another pair of JBLs, just like the ones shown above only in (vinyl?) woodgrain. And closer to my home. I will try and go out tonight to hear these. Maybe the Sansui too just for grins.

Also spotted a pair of Bolivar Speaker Works Model 18 ($25), but they need surround replacements and I've never done that before. Anyone know if this is difficult, expensive, or worth it to do for these puppies?

I am building a couple of rooms in the barn so spending a lot of time in there lately. Had the boom box blasting "Bitches Brew" last night. The horses were freaking out a bit. I think they prefer elevator music. :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 9 Oct 2009, 05:47 pm »
Bob, did you make it up to my barn to listen to my ne JBL 4410s at the Bash? two words......HOLY CRAP! .................

No Scott, I didn't. Honestly, I completely forgot you had that system up there.
Your house needs a directory to help guide a fellow to all of the audio rooms.  :lol:

I agree that for the price, you should buy both sets.  aa
Are they even still for sale?

Bob

srb

« Reply #13 on: 9 Oct 2009, 05:48 pm »
Also spotted a pair of Bolivar Speaker Works Model 18 ($25), but they need surround replacements and I've never done that before. Anyone know if this is difficult, expensive, or worth it to do for these puppies?

Difficult?:  more time and patience than difficulty
Expensive?:  usually around $20 - $30 per pair
Worth it?:  certainly on good speakers, not familiar with these.  But I would want to know that having bad surrounds, that the voice coils haven't been rubbing, or that the capacitors in the crossover are not shot.

I am building a couple of rooms in the barn so spending a lot of time in there lately. Had the boom box blasting "Bitches Brew" last night. The horses were freaking out a bit. I think they prefer elevator music. :lol:

Maybe it's not the genre of music.  Maybe they would just prefer the presentation of tube amplification.  ;)   

Steve
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2009, 01:12 am by srb »

KDus

« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2009, 01:07 am »
JBL has been the standard monitor in the many radio studios I've worked in. They are tough, forgiving, easy to repair, failrly efficient, and sound decent.
Parts are easy to get from dealers.

Venkman

« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2009, 09:39 pm »
Sansui = Lots of bass
JBL= Weak/thin sound

?????

Bob

I assume you're just referring to those particular JBL speakers?  I'm imagining a bunch of JBL fans cringing while reading that.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2009, 11:26 pm »
You assumed correctly. My uneducated eyes were looking at the amount of "woofage" only.
Sorry if I offended.  :wink:

So.....I wonder what our Mr. Danny ended up getting?

Bob

Venkman

« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2009, 11:50 pm »
No offense taken! :thumb:   
I'm also curious what speakers he ended up with, if any at all.   I'm also wishing I owned a barn...

rockadanny

« Reply #18 on: 15 Oct 2009, 11:17 am »
The JBLs I wanted most were sold. (I may be slow, but I'm not good either.:lol:) I am also considering, perhaps, building a Pi 2 from a kit. This consideration has derailed me from CL for the time being. But if I don't "bake" a Pi, thanks to ya'll's help I will concentrate on finding JBLs. Thank you all for all of your assistance.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #19 on: 15 Oct 2009, 11:42 am »
In the JBL vein you might want to consider the JBL 4410 studio monitors...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72491.msg679451#msg679451