2017 Capital Audiofest

Archguy

2017 Capital Audiofest
« on: 3 Aug 2017, 06:05 am »
Where is the thread for this?  I'm planning on going, so no one else will have to worry about being the least audio-savvy person in attendance.

I want to get a nice room in the hotel and do the whole thing drunk.  Is that a problem?

http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: 2017 Capital Audiofest
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2017, 06:08 am »
I'm going.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2017, 08:23 am »
Well you've just opened the thread for this year.  :thumb:

A room at the hotel is absolutely the way to go if you're coming from out of town, traffic is usually pretty heavy so trucking over from some other hotel is a pain.  The rooms were typical Hilton, predictably nice, but they say everything is newly remodeled so we'll have to see.  I got an upgraded suite last year, but can't expect that to happen every year.

We have a dinner gtg Saturday night, everyone likes a steakhouse.  We've never really solved the how to identify AC members problem, for those who don't know everybody we pick a time to meet in the lobby and it generally works out.  All are welcome.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2017, 01:20 pm »
Where is the thread for this?  I'm planning on going, so no one else will have to worry about being the least audio-savvy person in attendance.

I want to get a nice room in the hotel and do the whole thing drunk.  Is that a problem?

http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/

As long as you are a happy drunk, I guess.   :dunno:

KLH007

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2017, 01:46 pm »
Will the details of the dinner Saturday be on here?

djbnh

« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2017, 02:27 pm »
I grew up in, and my dad still lives in Rockville. The Mrs. and I are considering going down this year from NH to visit dad and hit the show. How's parking at the Hilton? FYI - traffic always is an issue in that area, not just for the audio show. FYI - try Bob's Shanghai 66 for dim sum, cash only but excellent taste and value.
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2017, 11:18 am by djbnh »

nc42acc

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2017, 02:29 pm »
I plan on attending.....Maybe not drunk so I can remember what I see and hear.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2017, 03:35 pm »
Will the details of the dinner Saturday be on here?

We are going to Nick's Chop House in Rockville. They have steaks for those who want one and other items for those who don't want steak.

This is the thread for confirming reservations for Nicks. Everybody is welcome of course.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151924.msg1624554#msg1624554

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2017, 04:12 pm »
PS: We can't have people being drunk.

We audiophiles are jerks enough when we are sober, we don't alcohol to increase that!!!

:green:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2017, 02:57 pm »

What universe are you in?

GT Audio Works

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:23 pm »
We audiophiles are jerks enough when we are sober, we don't alcohol to increase that!!!
:green:

Last year at CAF, I didn't eat all day, only coffee and a doughnut at 8am , just snacked on chips throughout the day.
I started sipping scotch around 4pm....by the time we shut the room down at 6pm, it hit me like a freight train.
Never gonna do that again....ruined my whole night...This time I will start drinking after dinner !!!
Greg

GT Audio Works

« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2017, 03:58 pm »
Speaking of CAF 2017...
GT Audio Works and partners will be in the Frederick Room on the atrium level.....We have a great lineup this year.

Sound Insight is supplying 6 x 12" open baffle powered subs, Pass Labs XA60.8 class A mono's, Esoteric K01x CD player and Synergistic Research UEF 12 power cell.

Pass Labs is supplying XS series pre-amp and phono stage.

Triode Wire Labs is supplying the entire wire loom.

Fidelis AV is supplying Acoustic signature turntable

Please stop by for a chat and a beer.
Greg

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2017, 04:00 pm »
What universe are you in?

You left out the punchline...

:lol:

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 5 Aug 2017, 02:25 am »
Not feeling it this year...
I've been to five CAFs. The ads for the show used to say 'Everything from modestly priced systems to the most high-end' or something like that. That first show, there were some moderately priced systems, but since then, the bottom has fallen out. I'm a man of modest means, and an audio system the price of a German luxury sedan is not in my foreseeable future. (Mean price of the systems I had information for from 2016- excluding Klaus at the 'budget' end and the $220K KEF 'shampoo bottles' at the high end, was close to $60K- before adding in the boutique interconnects.) Last year, when I walked in, I was thinking to myself, what am I doing here? Also, last year the show seemed to take on a 'REAL audiophiles spin vinyl' vibe that I didn't care for (Mr. Spock would have a hard time calculating the odds of me spinning again.)

If there is a manufacturer that really interests me, or a gonzo raffle like last year, or headphone intrigue, I might go, but otherwise I'm probably going to stay home and enjoy what I've got. Sorry if I'm coming off like a downer. Maybe I'll feel more into it closer to show time.

Archguy

« Reply #14 on: 5 Aug 2017, 05:47 am »
Speaking of CAF 2017...
GT Audio Works and partners will be in the Frederick Room on the atrium level.....We have a great lineup this year.

Sound Insight is supplying 6 x 12" open baffle powered subs, Pass Labs XA60.8 class A mono's, Esoteric K01x CD player and Synergistic Research UEF 12 power cell.

Pass Labs is supplying XS series pre-amp and phono stage.

Triode Wire Labs is supplying the entire wire loom.

Fidelis AV is supplying Acoustic signature turntable

Please stop by for a chat and a beer.
Greg

Looking forward to seeing and hearing it all!

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #15 on: 5 Aug 2017, 01:54 pm »
.....I started sipping scotch around 4pm....by the time we shut the room down at 6pm, it hit me like a freight train.....
Greg
Wait, isn't that the point of drinking scotch?  :wink:

willsw

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 9 Aug 2017, 05:27 am »
If there is a manufacturer that really interests me, or a gonzo raffle like last year, or headphone intrigue, I might go, but otherwise I'm probably going to stay home and enjoy what I've got. Sorry if I'm coming off like a downer. Maybe I'll feel more into it closer to show time.

Headphone.guru's Frank is taking over organization for the headphone stuff, so the headphone area should be a real, respectfully attended exhibition of the latest headphones and related gear this year. We'll have a table in the hallway outside the ballroom.

LTA will also be teaming up with Fern & Roby in both of their rooms, and we'll have another room with some exciting components that I'm waiting for final confirmation on.

nc42acc

« Reply #17 on: 9 Aug 2017, 12:25 pm »
Hey DB have you already spent all the money you had when you bailed out of the airline? I get your point but shows to me are more for meeting like minded audio nuts and seeing the esoteric gear you will never likely see local. I hope you change you mind and hopefully see you at the show.

Not feeling it this year...
I've been to five CAFs. The ads for the show used to say 'Everything from modestly priced systems to the most high-end' or something like that. That first show, there were some moderately priced systems, but since then, the bottom has fallen out. I'm a man of modest means, and an audio system the price of a German luxury sedan is not in my foreseeable future. (Mean price of the systems I had information for from 2016- excluding Klaus at the 'budget' end and the $220K KEF 'shampoo bottles' at the high end, was close to $60K- before adding in the boutique interconnects.) Last year, when I walked in, I was thinking to myself, what am I doing here? Also, last year the show seemed to take on a 'REAL audiophiles spin vinyl' vibe that I didn't care for (Mr. Spock would have a hard time calculating the odds of me spinning again.)

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 9 Aug 2017, 03:07 pm »
Not out of the question. I was kind of having a bad day. I'm just frustrated with the direction of 'high end' (a term I dislike) and that, over time, CAF seems to be becoming more about what I call the 'deep end'. We're fooling ourselves if we think $12K DACs, $20K speakers, and $1K power cables are going to grow the audience for quality music reproduction in the home. The public is deserting 'high end' in droves, opting for 'smart speakers' that cost a few hundred instead. There needs to be an entry level, 'philes need to stop deriding it as 'mid-fi' just because they can afford something better, and it needs to be represented at events such as CAF (since there are no audio stores anymore)- and it pretty much isn't. Someone told me Klaus from Odyssey said "All the exhibitors are trying to catch the same nine millionaires."

Anyway,I might come for CanMania and camaraderie if nothing else.

jtsnead

« Reply #19 on: 9 Aug 2017, 03:24 pm »
I plan on going to the fest and I am pretty sure I would go to dinner but no one has replied
to the "2017 Capitol Audio "Feast"" thread?