Two STA 9's and Open Baffles = Huge Smiles!

Chops

Two STA 9's and Open Baffles = Huge Smiles!
« on: 23 Jul 2018, 12:57 am »
Currently running the STA 9's in horizontal bi-amp fashion only because I had one up and running a couple weeks before the other one arrived (was back ordered). Once I get about 300 hours on the new one, I'll run them vertically bi-amped, one on the bottom shelf of each outside rack. The Audio Nirvana Super 12's are getting a fullrange signal while the Eminence Acoustinator N2012 bass drivers are only playing up to 190 Hz, and reproducing usable output down to 30 Hz on these somewhat undersized baffles.

The STA 9's are being fed from a Parasound Halo P5 to a dbx Driverack Venu 360, via XLR cables all the way. The Oppo 105D is also running into the P5 via XLR for Tidal streaming.

Holy moly! These amps and these speakers are a perfect match, and I do mean PERFECT match! Everything is so dynamic, so tactile, so natural, smooth and extended in both directions. And the sound stage is open and wide and deep. I'm hooked!

All I have to do now is finish up these open baffles with the proper Baltic Birch plywood with all eight 12" bass drivers running. Super efficient and super dynamic!

Chops

Re: Two STA 9's and Open Baffles = Huge Smiles!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2018, 08:13 pm »
Not that anyone here cares apparently, but...

Finally got the new STA 9 amps in their proper locations, proudly perched on those 1.5" thick white quartz bases, vertically bi-amping the open baffles. Sound stage width galore, stage depth galore, detail galore, DYNAMICS galore, bass slam galore, vocals galore!

Decided to go with some high output concerts to really work things in. These amps and these speakers just loaf along at near constant 100 dB levels at the listening seat. Are my ears ringing a little?... Yes, but I almost never play at these levels, and none of it was fatiguing.

If you look closely, I had to place some microfiber cloths under the speakers as they kept moving about on the floor. LOL

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2018, 11:25 pm »
Really cool setup! Nice to hear you are enjoying it as much!

Did you hear differences from stacking them vs the quartz bases?

Also, if you don't mind, which Phill Collins concert is that? Thanks!
Best regards,
Rafa.

Chops

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2018, 03:49 am »
Really cool setup! Nice to hear you are enjoying it as much!

Did you hear differences from stacking them vs the quartz bases?

Also, if you don't mind, which Phill Collins concert is that? Thanks!
Best regards,
Rafa.

Thanks.

I doubt there would be any difference. I can't say because they are wired completely different now than they were stacked. The quartz bases I had custom made for a pair of Sonus Faber book self speakers I had a few years back. They weigh more than double that of the amps. Just thought they would add a nice touch to the amps.

The concert is the 2004 Farewell concert in Paris.

BTW, these amps replaced a pair of completely updated and upgraded Carver M-500t MkII amps, pushing 390 watts per channel each into 8 ohms. These little STA 9's are doing things with these open baffle speakers that the Carver's couldn't even think of doing. A much wider and definitely much deeper sound stage is one aspect, but the real shocker is the bass. Very tight, controlled, detailed, and STRONG! These amps make it sound like I have a couple more bass drivers playing! Amazing!

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2018, 02:59 pm »
Thanks for the tip on the concert.

Really glad you are enjoying your amps so much! A great part of upgrading equipment is that you find more time to listen to your music or concerts or movies, so that's the best bonus.  Enjoy them!

Best regards,
Rafa.