Help connecting sub to TX102S

Al Garay

« on: 17 Dec 2003, 03:49 am »
I turned on the power and nothing... there is no sound coming from my new subwoofer.

Here are the details... this is a used Hypex HS200 and a new 12" Soniccraft SCC300 driver that I bought from reliable sources... so I expect are functional. I'm connecting the subwoofer to my 2-channel stereo consisting of:
* BentAudio TX102 pre-amp
* AKSA 100W mono-blocks
* Ellis 1801 satellites

I bought a 12' subwoofer cable and y-adapter from RS. I have the Y-adapter connected to the R-channel output from my pre-amp. One leg goes to the IC to my amplifier. The other leg goes to the subwoofer input.

I'm going to try to use the high-pass crossover, connecting directly from pre-amp to sub-in and sub-out to my satellite amps. Is this correct?

What are the high-power in connectors? They look like speaker binding posts.

I wish I had the manual. I appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

Al

Al Garay

« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2003, 04:43 am »
I think I solder the driver incorrectly to the HS200. Does anyone have a diagram or instructions for soldering a driver to a HS200?

Thanks,

Al

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2003, 04:13 pm »
Al,

Sorry to hear of the sub struggle! I do not know of the HS200 but I can say that you'd likely do fine connecting to the speaker level connections (high power connectors). REL recomends this way and it is not a bad way to go at all. You just use a small gauge wire to connect from each speaker to each set of high level posts (assuming there are 2 sets).

This avoids the splitter in the RCA line to your amp. If you want to try rca connections we'll install a couple of extra rca outputs when you are next up. That way you can avoid the splitter in the main signal path.

Hopefully someone can point you to a manual for the hs200 as that would tell the story about hookup options, etc. Maybe the guy you got it from could give you the scoop on the way he hooked it up as a starting point.

Good luck and Thanks and Merry Christmas!

John

Al Garay

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2003, 12:55 am »
Hi John,

I was able to get a schematic from Hypex' tech support showing me the correct location to mount the drivers. I was fooled by solder on a couple of posts that said left and right... seemed obvious. The actual location is not as obvious... not marked. Now, the sub is working. I will have a chance to play with the different options over the Holidays so I can figure out what to do... I do like your suggestion to add output plugs ... provides a simple way to activate/deactivate the sub.

The funny thing is that I did get the Ack! DAC delivered but I have not had a chance to play with it yet. Tonight is my girl's Christmas concert at their school. So, stereo stuff will have to wait another day.

Take care,

Al

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2003, 01:31 am »
Al,

Glad to hear you got it working. I was just going to suggest that you bring it over here so we can try hooking it up in everyway possible as I've got more than enough stuff to run a sub... :wink:  :lol:

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2003, 01:33 am »
Hello!

Glad it is alive! Now you can play with it as you say. Let me know how you make out with the ACK!.

My son's Christmas concert was today. Too much fun. Enjoy the concert tonight and all the best over Christmas!

Many Thansk!

John