Reasons for choosing Vapor

pankon

Reasons for choosing Vapor
« on: 27 Jun 2014, 06:05 pm »
As somebody, considering a Vapor Audio model as my next speaker, I would be interested in knowing other people's opinions about why and why not one should consider and eventually own a Vapor.
Any thoughts are welcome, either based on logic or on feeling. I would appreciate if we could stay clear from bashing speaker companies, large or small (including Vapor).
Cheers.

bajaed

Re: Reasons for choosing Vapor
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2014, 04:57 am »
I'll take a stab at this. First, the ingredients used add up to a lot more than you would normally get in speakers for this kind of money. The Acoustic Technology woofers and the Raal ribbon tweeter are among the best available. Add in what Vapor uses for crossovers, caps wiring etc., you get first class components all the way.

Secondly, the design and engineering put into the cabinets is amazing. If you haven't had a chance, check out some of Ryan's comments about what they do to create an overbuilt cabinet that pays off in a big way: http://www.hifizine.com/2013/03/interview-with-ryan-scott-vapor-audio/

The computer designed stacked ply enclosures are labor intensive but the guys at Vapor are willing to put in the effort required to get it right.

I've always been bugged by gear that is overly bright and harsh. I started looking for speakers that were real warm in their voicing. That left me equally frustrated with the lack of detail. With the quality of the Raal tweeters along with voicing of the Vapor's,  you get the best of both worlds. Incredible detail and resolution with no hard, overly bright edges and no listener fatigue.

Finally it doesn't matter how an audio component looks if it sounds bad. With Vapor you get everything listed above that reproduces music in an awe inspiring manner, and you are able to create a unique and beautifully designed set of speakers. Just about any veneer or automotive finish can be utilized from mild to wild. That's a big deal to me and creates a lot of added enjoyment.

There are not many in the audio business that have the ability to design, construct and finish products like Ryan, Pete and the staff at Vapor do. Someone used the term bespoke to describe the finished product. That term nails it IMO.

pankon

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2014, 05:54 am »
Thanks, Bajaed. You've clearly outlined several arguments in favor of Vapor Audio speakers. No cons by the way?
Do you own Vapor speakers and if yes, which model?
Are there certain characteristics you enjoy most and perhaps others that you would like to have modified or even eliminated?
Cheers.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2014, 06:51 pm »
I believe that Ryan and Pete were speaker builders first and became speaker building businessmen.  They put the same enthusiasm and knowledge into their products for others that they would if they were for them.  They are both extremely knowledgeable and have grown their capabilities since they started.  I admire and respect both of them.  Some day I would like to build speakers as good as theirs.  I am not an owner but have listened to their speakers several times.  You will not be sorry if you give them a chance to share their product with you.
Howard

pankon

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2014, 07:05 pm »
I believe that Ryan and Pete were speaker builders first and became speaker building businessmen.  They put the same enthusiasm and knowledge into their products for others that they would if they were for them.  They are both extremely knowledgeable and have grown their capabilities since they started.  I admire and respect both of them.  Some day I would like to build speakers as good as theirs.  I am not an owner but have listened to their speakers several times.  You will not be sorry if you give them a chance to share their product with you.
Howard

Receiving such passionate endorsements is definitely an asset to any company. Thanks for sharing your view on the topic.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2014, 07:05 pm »
If their speakers hit the right spot for you, the value you get with vapor is far better than traditionally marketed speakers. The design and implementation are 1st class too. They should be on everyone's short list imo...  not saying they are a one size fits all solution to audio, but if you like the sound they are going for they are hard to beat.

pankon

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2014, 07:10 pm »
If their speakers hit the right spot for you, the value you get with vapor is far better than traditionally marketed speakers. The design and implementation are 1st class too. They should be on everyone's short list imo...  not saying they are a one size fits all solution to audio, but if you like the sound they are going for they are hard to beat.

Thanks DaveC113.

Are you a Vapor owner or have you listened to Vapor speakers?

Sonically, which are the strong points of Vapor speakers and where do you see room for improvement?  Are there other companies that produce similar sound to Vapor?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2014, 08:23 pm »
Thanks DaveC113.

Are you a Vapor owner or have you listened to Vapor speakers?

Sonically, which are the strong points of Vapor speakers and where do you see room for improvement?  Are there other companies that produce similar sound to Vapor?

Yes, at RMAF 2013... their room was right in between two $500k systems and they were not embarrassed. The Joule and Nimbus were being shown, with the Nimbus being a large, high(ish) efficiency speaker with a big sound and the Joule having a bit more of an accurate, more resolving character. Then they have black and white versions to suit tastes further.

There are some other similar speakers using the same or similar drivers, but I think the design and value of the Vapors are hard to beat. The Joules remind me of Wilson, Focal, etc... any of the large 3-way high-end "conventional" and modern hifi speakers... and the Nimbus of Deadalus, Legacy... it's a big, higher-efficiency speaker, probably with a simpler crossover too.

I don't have quite enough time listening to them and other similar speakers to go into much more detail, the only thing they could have done better is bass management/setup maybe, but it was a HUGE room... and it has nothing to do with the speakers themselves, and they did sound better than average for a show environment.

For those with a budget up to $40k or so I think the big Vapors are well worth checking out as they are competitive in that price range. Yes, I would take a TAD Ref 1 over Vapor, but it's going to take that kind of budget (the TADs are $90k) to do significantly better imo.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2014, 08:24 pm »
Yes, I would take a TAD Ref 1 over Vapor, but it's going to take that kind of budget (the TADs are $90k) to do significantly better imo.
Where have you heard these?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2014, 08:25 pm »
RMAF as well...  :)

pankon

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2014, 08:43 pm »
Sonically, which are the strong points of Vapor speakers and which are the qualities that are not so great and could be improved? Is the RAAL twitter the component that makes a (positive) difference or not so?
Thanks.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2014, 08:55 pm »
Sonically, which are the strong points of Vapor speakers and which are the qualities that are not so great and could be improved? Is the RAAL twitter the component that makes a (positive) difference or not so?
Thanks.

I'm not sure your question is going to get useful answers because it is VERY subjective. For instance, some will love the RAAL ribbon for it's detail and accuracy, others may prefer a smoother, more laid back sound. Neither one is "right". But, it could be interesting to hear opinions on the subject. For me, I prefer detail and accuracy over a rolled-off smooth sound so I like a GOOD ribbon tweeter, which the RAALs are.

pankon

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2014, 09:01 pm »
I'm not sure your question is going to get useful answers because it is VERY subjective. For instance, some will love the RAAL ribbon for it's detail and accuracy, others may prefer a smoother, more laid back sound. Neither one is "right". But, it could be interesting to hear opinions on the subject. For me, I prefer detail and accuracy over a rolled-off smooth sound so I like a GOOD ribbon tweeter, which the RAALs are.

I am asking, because I have not had the opportunity to hear a ribbon tweeter yet. I wonder whether it gives a sound similar to electrostatics. Is that a fair description of the RAAL tweeter?

Thanks

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2014, 09:03 pm »
RMAF as well...  :)
Hmm.  Pretty sure they were not there. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2014, 09:27 pm »
Hmm.  Pretty sure they were not there.

I did not specify which year. Do you think I'm just talking out my a$$ and are trying to call me out?

jonbee

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2014, 09:34 pm »
I am asking, because I have not had the opportunity to hear a ribbon tweeter yet. I wonder whether it gives a sound similar to electrostatics. Is that a fair description of the RAAL tweeter?

Thanks
It is not greatly  helpful to generalize, but there are a lot of similarities between stats and ribbons- detail, extension and clarity. Stats often cover a wider range, and may not play as loudly. Some, but not all stats, may sound a bit dynamically "soft" compared to many ribbons, and many, but not all, ribbons have a bit of top end edge or "crispiness". But of course there are wide variations of each. I like ribbons particularly because of their durability and simplicity- no AC PS needed. I've had over 20 pair of speakers with ribbons, and the RAAL is probably my favorite. It does have a "sound" -being very very clear and fast, but it does not have the top end "body" of a good dome, but it has excellent off axis response as well. A ribbon on top of a 1-2" dome is a very nice combination, IMO. Other great candidates are ceramics, beryllium, and the new generation of "Heil" AMT wannabees, one of which I'm using as a super tweeter on top of a 1" dome now, to good effect.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2014, 09:36 pm »
I did not specify which year. Do you think I'm just talking out my a$$ and are trying to call me out?
What year was it?

Sticky side down. 

simoon

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2014, 09:39 pm »
I'll give you my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

I do not own a Vapor product, for full disclosure.

1. At the SHOW in Newport this year and last, their rooms were among the best there. Even against speakers costing substantially more.

2. At all the various price points their products hit, they perform at least as good, in most instances better, than the competition.

3. They look great.

4. And they come from the DIY world! As a DIY'r myself, this is very appealing. And the coolest thing is, that even though they are a full fledged consumer company now, they still have love for the DIY world and us DIY'rs. They post regularly on the speaker builder forum over at parts-express.com, helping us DIY'rs with various projects, even though we will most likely not be purchasing their products. They will give honest opinions of drivers and designs other than their own.

Pete Schumacher  and Ryan are genuinely nice, helpful guys, with great sounding products.

They are about to get one of their speakers reviewed in 6moons (online audiophile mag), and if the review is half as good as the speaker deserves, they may become too busy for us DIY'rs.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 28 Jun 2014, 09:51 pm »
What year was it?

Sticky side down.

Answer my question first.  :icon_twisted:

...because I'm very close to putting you on ignore.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jun 2014, 10:02 pm »
Answer my question first.  :icon_twisted:

...because I'm very close to putting you on ignore.
That's fine.  Whatever makes you feel good.   :lol: