RWA Products to Drive HiFiMAN HE-6 Headphones

MorganE

RWA Products to Drive HiFiMAN HE-6 Headphones
« on: 23 Aug 2010, 03:20 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

What would your recommendations be to drive the new HE-6? My understanding is that headphone amplifiers don't have enough power to drive these new headphones. 

MorganE

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: RWA Products to Drive HiFiMAN HE-6 Headphones
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2010, 09:44 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

What would your recommendations be to drive the new HE-6? My understanding is that headphone amplifiers don't have enough power to drive these new headphones. 

MorganE

Hi MorganE,

I'm not to familiar with the HE-6.  Are they very inefficient, like the AKG K1000s, where a speaker amplifier is required?  If this is the case, the Signature 30.2 LFP-V Edition might be a very good match with them (like it is for the K1000s!), as long as they are wired for two conductors per driver (L+, L-, R+, R-), so the GND of each speaker is not tied together. 

I'll be at the NY Headfi meet this fall, and the owner of HiFiMAN is usually there (along with his customers), so I can try them on an Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition, and see how they work out - and discuss driving them with a Signature 30.2 LFP-V Edition.

I'm eagerly waiting for my Audeze LCD-2s!  8)

All the best,

Vinnie

MorganE

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2010, 10:06 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

They aren't in production yet, but they were at CanJam in Chicago, and pre-production samples are currently being circulated in the U.S. and Europe to select Head-Fi members.  There are threads on Head-Fi in the Sponsors area under HeadDirect.  I believe their amplifier power requirements are similar to those of the K1000, but hopefully you will get a chance to try them and give us your recommendations.  Cheers.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2010, 11:17 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

They aren't in production yet, but they were at CanJam in Chicago, and pre-production samples are currently being circulated in the U.S. and Europe to select Head-Fi members.  There are threads on Head-Fi in the Sponsors area under HeadDirect.  I believe their amplifier power requirements are similar to those of the K1000, but hopefully you will get a chance to try them and give us your recommendations.  Cheers.

Will do!

bmoura

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2011, 10:10 am »
Hi Vinnie,

MorganE

I have the same question. 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2011, 06:43 pm »
All,

Happy New Year!

I've had the opportunity to hear the HE-6s at the last NY Headfi meet. 

They certain need a good amount of voltage gain to drive them.  I brought in an Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition with a custom high-power output stage (Class A), and it drove the HE-6s very, very well!  This is what I recommend for those HE-6s - you won't look back!   :singing:

Best regards,

Vinnie

bmoura

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:47 am »
All,

Happy New Year!

I've had the opportunity to hear the HE-6s at the last NY Headfi meet. 

They certain need a good amount of voltage gain to drive them.  I brought in an Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition with a custom high-power output stage (Class A), and it drove the HE-6s very, very well!  This is what I recommend for those HE-6s - you won't look back!   :singing:

Best regards,

Vinnie

Sounds intriguing!  Any idea what the custom Class A output stage for the HE-6 might cost?  I'm guessing we might see it as an order option over on the Red Wine Audio web site someday....

flatmap

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2011, 04:26 am »

Also, Vinnie, is this custom Class A output stage a good match for other types of headphones as well?  Basically is this for any 'phones with low efficiency?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2011, 01:42 pm »
Hi bmoura,

Yes - I plan to make this an option.  Pricing and availability are not yet determined, but I'll keep you all posted.  Feel free to email me as well.

Hi flatmap,

It will be a good match many types of headphones (but I'd stay away from IEM's, which hardly need any power and are very sensitive).  But with with phones like LCD-2s, HE-5s/HE-6s, K1000s, HD600/650s, and many others that you want to be able to drive with serious authority - this new output stage (fed from the LFP-V tube stage) is will be in a whole other class  :drool:

Also looking into a new speaker output stage add-on (linear Class AB, 15wpc into 8-ohm, 30wpc into 4 ohm) for Isabella and Isabellina HPA... with the LiFePO4 packs, the possibilities are abundant and customization is going to be something that I will be offering.... 

Like I mentioned in another thread - 2011 is going to be an exciting year! :whip:

Vinnie

flatmap

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2011, 10:22 pm »
Looking forward to hearing this!