Amarra Mini 2.0/Isabellina HPA

MorganE

Amarra Mini 2.0/Isabellina HPA
« on: 10 Aug 2010, 12:15 am »
o.k. I bit the bullet when they reduced the price to $295 and the new version can also handle mp3s.

Unfortunately I am not one of those people that can tell you in audio terms why something is better or worse technically, but I believe that I can tell if something material has changed in the sound of my system - for better or worse!  Does Amarra Mini jump out at you immediately in terms of sonic improvements?  I would say no in my case.  But over time ... listening to recordings I am very familiar with...I believe it takes my system up a level in terms of both improved 'bass' (more defined?) and 'space' in the soundstage - but I can't categorically state that it actually does anything.  Yes, I tried the demo, and found it useless, as just as I was listening for 'something' - there would be a pause in the music which threw me completely off.  Try listening to any classical music that way!

Yes, I confess, I love my Macbook Pro (usb) iTunes/Amarra Mini/Isabellina HPA/ATH-W1000X/Senn. HD650 (Equinox) or AKG 701 ... and (hopefully) soon to come Audeze LCD-2.  Whether I made the right decision of ordering the Audeze LCD-2 or not vs the HD800 - only time will tell, but for now, I am really enjoying my HD650s for the first time in this setup.

Cheers!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Amarra Mini 2.0/Isabellina HPA
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2010, 11:16 am »
Hi Morgan,

Thanks for posting your impressions - and I agree, the HD650s sound really nice with the Isabellina HPA (as do many other headphones, such as the Audeze LCD-2s!).  I had the opportunity to hear the LCD-2s with an Isabella LFP-V Edition that I recently upgraded for a customer - I did not want to give them back!  8)

Scroll through this thread for some info and pics: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/437559/isabellina-hpa-owner-s-thread-and-impressions/300#post_6836596

Best regards,

Vinnie