Cornet 2 H+ Stability Help

Jerwardemy

Cornet 2 H+ Stability Help
« on: 15 Jul 2011, 01:02 pm »
One problem I've been having with my Cornet 2 is the H+ voltage will vary anywhere from 6.10-6.70.  When it gets towards the higher side I have to put a different set of tubes in to lower it, as the high H+ degrades the sound and can't be good for the amp.

I'm fairly sure the Cornet is working as it should...I believe its the power in my house...it will range anywhere from 120v in the morning to 128v late at night.  The H+ rises with the wall voltage...the tranny is wired for 120v...is there some other problem with my Cornet? If not, what else could I do to fix this?

poty

Re: Cornet 2 H+ Stability Help
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2011, 07:16 am »
Yes, it may be a problem in unstable mains voltage cases (like me too). I removed the R223 and use a low-drop 3-pin regulator, installed on a decent heatsink (I used NJR NJM2396F63 which is actually 4-pin, but actually 2 pins of them tied together; but it can be anything supporting suitable current) instead of it. If you are not easy to modify the circuit - the only way to do this is to use an AC mains voltage stabiliser (or UPS maybe).