A very nice CD

Randy

A very nice CD
« on: 29 Jun 2009, 02:21 am »
Titled - "Boccherini - Madrid" on the ambroisie label (apparently distributed by naive.)
Luigi Boccherini, Italian composer on the late 1700s, noted for his music for strings. This one has two cello concertos, an aria for soprano and orchestra, and a Fandango from a quintet for strings, 2 guitars, and percussion, the latter a real crowd pleaser. Entertaining music definitely, with exceptional sound quality. I had to keep looking at the label to see if it was SACD. Highly recommended.

Art_Chicago

Re: A very nice CD
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2009, 02:34 am »
Well, another entertaining hybrid SACD by Boccherini is Fandango from AliaVox label performed by Jordi Savall and Le Concerts des Nations. Everything about the disc is great, but the sound quality is beyond any HM, EMI and others.
Randy, what is the ensemble? Looks like the Madrid Court knew how to spend time well!
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2009, 03:35 am by Art_Chicago »

Randy

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2009, 02:41 am »
Cellist - Ophelie Gaillard, guitar - Rolf Lislevand, and Sandrine Piau, soprano, the ensemble is called "Pulcinella," and the cellist is "musical director."  Except for Piau, of whom I am a big fan, I'd not heard of the performers.

I'll check out the Savall disc, too. Thanks.

Randy

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2009, 02:49 am »
I forgot to mention that the disc comes with a DVD (which I have not watched as yet) which is described as: "2 documentaries on Boccherini's music."

Art_Chicago

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2009, 03:54 am »
I just checked it out -- even MP3 version sounds stunning. Both discs share the same piece
G. 448 "Fandango"
Savall has a larger group, but Pulcinella sounds more like they play in a king's living room or whatever it was called.
definetely a good suggestion!