Music streaming, without wi-fi ?

Leifer

Music streaming, without wi-fi ?
« on: 29 Jan 2019, 08:18 pm »
Let me explain...

I am working (painting murals) at a very large home during it's remodeling, and I am configuring a quality portable playback system for use in various rooms.
The amps and speakers will be on a rolling cart, and rolled into the rooms were we are working.

The high-end client is reluctant to give me a password for his wi-fi, or even a "guest password".
My Sprint cellphone (Samsung Note8) reception is fairly weak, and drop-outs are often.
Plus I'd rather keep my phone in my pocket, rather than physically tethered to the preamp.
Blu-tooth distances can be more than 100ft, from my phone and that rolling cart.

I'm not very knowledgeable in wireless streaming, and maybe there's a simple solution I am not aware of. (besides pre-recording a portable drive)
I mostly use Spotify, or other online music services.
I'd rather not reduce the playback rez to reduce dropouts.. I'd like hi-rez.

Any ideas ?
Thx.

witchdoctor

Re: Music streaming, without wi-fi ?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2019, 08:31 pm »
Let me explain...

I am working (painting murals) at a very large home during it's remodeling, and I am configuring a quality portable playback system for use in various rooms.
The amps and speakers will be on a rolling cart, and rolled into the rooms were we are working.

The high-end client is reluctant to give me a password for his wi-fi, or even a "guest password".
My Sprint cellphone (Samsung Note8) reception is fairly weak, and drop-outs are often.
Plus I'd rather keep my phone in my pocket, rather than physically tethered to the preamp.
Blu-tooth distances can be more than 100ft, from my phone and that rolling cart.

I'm not very knowledgeable in wireless streaming, and maybe there's a simple solution I am not aware of. (besides pre-recording a portable drive)
I mostly use Spotify, or other online music services.
I'd rather not reduce the playback rez to reduce dropouts.. I'd like hi-rez.

Any ideas ?
Thx.

Portable higher end bluetooth speaker that is rechargeable like Klipsch The One or JBL Xtreme 2? It will connect directly to your phone via bluetooth. Load your music on an SD card to avoid your phone dropping out, jusyt stream the files from the SD card.

https://www.jbl.com/smart-audio.html

https://www.klipsch.com/products/the-one

Leifer

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2019, 08:47 pm »
Thanks, although......
Those small portable mini-boom box speaker units are not ample enough to fill the whole room.
And that does not solve the dropout problem I'm having from my weak cellphone signal.
I see your SD card solution (or thumb drive). Is my only option pre-recording ?

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2019, 09:00 pm »
The cellphone drop is a problem, all I could suggest is an SD card for your music on your phone or a portable player.
A portable player can be attached to many types of systems with a 3.5 mm cable, no wireless or bluetooth needed, just optional. You could connect to pretty much any type of system you want. Maybe these Yamaha active speakers (you don't even need a player, you could load your files on a USB stick if you want):

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamnxn500bl/yamaha-nx-n500-powered-networking-speaker-w/musiccast-pair/1.html

and this Pioneer player and you are ready to rock:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionxdp30rb/pioneer-xdp-30r-16gb-digital-audio-player-black/1.html

Leifer

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2019, 09:09 pm »
Thanks.... a drive media player might be my only option, pre-loaded with music or podcasts.
Then, depending on that unit, I can control it via a blu-tooth app from my phone in my pocket.

I'll continue requesting a wifi guest account, from the home owner. I'll tell him that I need it for my work duties, then primarily use it for music streaming.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2019, 05:29 pm by Leifer »

RichPark

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2019, 03:24 am »
If you have trouble with drop outs set up one smart phone as a hotspot in an area of the house that has good reception.  Sign in to the hotspot and hopefully you will have less dropped signals

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2019, 01:09 pm »
Doesn't spotify have a way to download music for offline playback? (Tidal and Qobuz - I think- do.)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2019, 01:19 pm »
What about a Verizon hotspot or similar just for this job?  I can't believe they won't give you guest access.  So ridiculous as the password can be changed after the job is complete.   :duh:

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2019, 03:53 pm »
What about a Verizon hotspot or similar just for this job?  I can't believe they won't give you guest access.  So ridiculous as the password can be changed after the job is complete.   :duh:

Though they are popular, therefore hard to get, you can check out a hotspot from your library for a week.

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2019, 05:02 pm »
Doesn't spotify have a way to download music for offline playback? (Tidal and Qobuz - I think- do.)

Yes, Spotify has offline playback. I use it on long flights. Album downloads are fast as the compressed files are relatively small.

I wouldn't give a vendor a wifi password either, because I want them to concentrate on the job and finish faster.  :P

Radio still works, if you're lucky to have any decent stations.  It's the original streaming music.  Play what most building tradesman play around here on their boomboxes: electronic mexican pop, like our local FM station La Ley. Add a little Monster energy drink and get the job done fast! Your client will give up the wifi password within an hour.