RM-10 MK II 25 watt/channel High Bias EL-84/6BQ5 ….

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
RM-10 MK II 25 watt/channel High Bias EL-84/6BQ5 w/ Self Adjusting Bias & Tube Current Indicators ….

I placed my order and I am looking forward to getting this next week. Do we have any members here with this model? Can you offer any thoughts? I can't wait to hear mine.

rhing

Re: RM-10 MK II 25 watt/channel High Bias EL-84/6BQ5 ….
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2014, 02:28 pm »
I do not own one of these gems, but I extensively listened to one at the Zu Audio room at a Rocky Mountain Audio Fest several years ago. Adam Decaria of Zu Audio had this amp driving the mids and highs of a biamped pair of Zu Definitions with a Crown pro audio audio amp handling bass duty.

Marja and Henk of Six Moons came in the room and Henk politely asked Adam and the other listening room guests if he could play a CD he brought along. Henk had recorded a Spanish guitarist at some venue in Europe using a Minidisc recorder and the recording quality was amazing. Even more amazing was how this system sounded with the RM-10 MkII. When I closed my eyes, It felt like I was transported back to the venue where Henk recorded the music. My buddy who attended the show with me and I looked at each other in amazement. Both Henk and Marja were grooving to the tunes and he had a big smile on his face. All I can say is that was the best sounding system I heard at that entire show. Everybody in the room didn't leave, because the music just sucked everyone into it. With other material, this system just excelled. We compared this to other systems at the show costing thousands more, and non came close.

You just made a great investment. Enjoy.

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2014, 03:26 pm »
Interested to hear your impressions of this RM-10II compared to the RM-200II you had. Hope you can elaborate.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2014, 06:33 pm »
I do not own one of these gems, but I extensively listened to one at the Zu Audio room at a Rocky Mountain Audio Fest several years ago. Adam Decaria of Zu Audio had this amp driving the mids and highs of a biamped pair of Zu Definitions with a Crown pro audio audio amp handling bass duty.

Marja and Henk of Six Moons came in the room and Henk politely asked Adam and the other listening room guests if he could play a CD he brought along. Henk had recorded a Spanish guitarist at some venue in Europe using a Minidisc recorder and the recording quality was amazing. Even more amazing was how this system sounded with the RM-10 MkII. When I closed my eyes, It felt like I was transported back to the venue where Henk recorded the music. My buddy who attended the show with me and I looked at each other in amazement. Both Henk and Marja were grooving to the tunes and he had a big smile on his face. All I can say is that was the best sounding system I heard at that entire show. Everybody in the room didn't leave, because the music just sucked everyone into it. With other material, this system just excelled. We compared this to other systems at the show costing thousands more, and non came close.

Do you recall the year? I went once about 5 years ago. I recall visiting ZU but they didn't have my amp that year.  Their high efficiency speaker is a good match.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2014, 07:09 pm »
Hi John

I'm excited about the new addition to the family.  I do really miss the RM200 II that I had and think it will be very difficult to beat.

I am seriously thinking about replacing it at some point in the future.

I'll let you know ....

Joe

Interested to hear your impressions of this RM-10II compared to the RM-200II you had. Hope you can elaborate.

tybee

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2014, 07:14 pm »
There is very little information regarding this integrated on Roger's website which brings up some questions if you can supply the answer. 

Is the integrated built on the same chassis as the RM10amp and how many inputs can be included?  Are tone controls an option?  Is the pre amp section passive?

I believe Roger is using the same bias method as he has implemented on the 245 and 245.1 amp which is excellent. 

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2014, 08:31 pm »
Wow! Reading this makes me feel even better about my purchase.  Thank you so much for the story.  I do think Roger has a gift and I'm glad we get to hear the results.

I'll keep everyone posted of my results.

Joe.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2014, 09:15 pm »
There is very little information regarding this integrated on Roger's website which brings up some questions if you can supply the answer. 

Is the integrated built on the same chassis as the RM10amp and how many inputs can be included?  Are tone controls an option?  Is the pre amp section passive?

I believe Roger is using the same bias method as he has implemented on the 245 and 245.1 amp which is excellent.
'

The new RM-10 self biased amp is not an integrated amp though it is sensitive enough to be used with a passive volume control. It is the same circuit as the regular RM-10 but does not need any adjustments. It uses a 12AT7 instead of a 12AX7 driver tube but the driver circuit is the same.  Since test points are not necessary on a self biased amp I put an LED on each output tube so the user can easily see the condition of each tube and know that they are all working equally. If one LED is much brighter or dimmer than the others then it should be replaced. If his tubes are not well matched he will see that also.

It is a key feature of my bias technique is that each tube has its own cathode bias resistor. Other amps often have only one resistor for the pair or one for all four tubes as in the Dynaco ST 35. This is a big mistake and requires extremely tight matching of output tubes as one with heavy draw will make all the rest light and the heavy one will have shortened life. You can tell when this happens visually as one tube will have far less gettering left than the others. I see it all the time in (other) used amps that come across my bench. Then the owner has a continual problem of not knowing that the tubes are sharing current. How does he replace the one worn out tube? If the new tube has a heavy current draw the same thing will happen again and quickly. As a designer I carefully avoid any aspect of design that is regenerative. By that I mean any process that gets worse as it continues. Those process will be a constant problem for the owner. There are too many amps for me to name that have these problems designed by people who apparently don't think very far down the road.

My method allows for aging and the tubes do not have to be tightly match though we hope you will buy them from us.

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2014, 03:32 am »
 :D.  Progressive Degenerative ,,,,  that's what I would call that Rodger. Regen is to heal .  :D
               But I could be wrong.   Anyway . RM-9 on a plane to Canada.  Must hear your workings.
                    1 amp at a time.  :D

rhing

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2014, 03:35 am »
Do you recall the year? I went once about 5 years ago. I recall visiting ZU but they didn't have my amp that year.  Their high efficiency speaker is a good match.

I believe it was the 2007 RMAF.