Chassis & Parts Sources

gnomon

Re: Chassis & Parts Sources
« Reply #40 on: 2 Jul 2012, 11:58 pm »
I'm a little hesitant because I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of cases that don't sell.

On that note, were you thinking of bringing the mono cases back into stock at some point (because I'm shopping around)?  If so, have you got any thoughts about ventilation slots like in your dual mono case (because I'm curious)?

HT cOz

« Reply #41 on: 3 Jul 2012, 03:30 am »
I've ordered 10 monos with ventilation. I will have them in 5-6 weeks. (Really). I will also be lowering the price for anyone ordering a pair. I'm aiming for $200 a pair.

I will also have a laser etched logo option. 

Thanks,
Robert

drubin

Wire and cable choices
« Reply #42 on: 12 Jul 2012, 05:50 am »
Question for those of you who care about these things (i.e., think it matters more than a little): What are you using for in-chassis interconnect, speaker and AC wiring?

srb

« Reply #43 on: 12 Jul 2012, 06:00 am »
Robert,

I saw that for the stereo chassis you have some side vents, any chance of top vents for either the monos or stereo chassis to get a little convection air flow happening?

Steve

HT cOz

« Reply #44 on: 12 Jul 2012, 01:39 pm »
Steve,

Yes it is absolutely possible.  However, it does add cost.  When looking at a complete build like this, you've got to wonder given that the modules are not crammed into the chassis if it is going to honestly make a difference?  One idea I have had was to have extra top plates made with an Ncore Logo CirclN punched out with small holes.  This could be orderd after the fact and would add a nice look.  I'm just not sure how many options people are really willing to pay for?  Currently I have a Laser Logo Front coming and am exploring other options like a milled front.

Here is a pick to give you an idea of how much space is in a standard size chassis like the dual mono.

Robert,

I saw that for the stereo chassis you have some side vents, any chance of top vents for either the monos or stereo chassis to get a little convection air flow happening?

Steve

drubin

« Reply #45 on: 16 Jul 2012, 09:48 pm »
Bumping my earlier post.  I'm new to DIY -- can any of you suggest wire to use for the AC, interconnect and speaker wiring applications within the chassis on this project?

Thanks.

-Dan

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: 17 Jul 2012, 11:12 am »
can any of you suggest wire to use for the AC, interconnect and speaker wiring applications within the chassis on this project?
The modules from Hypex come with all the wire with the exception of the speaker wire (output) from the NC400 to the binding posts.  Just use a good quality wire of your choice and you'll be fine.  I've been using 12AWG DH Labs. 

genjamon

« Reply #47 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:00 pm »
Unless you want to put in a separate power switch.  In that case, you would probably need some more wire to put between IEC receptacle and power switch.

drubin

« Reply #48 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:08 pm »
Thanks guys, very helpful.  I'm building a dual-mono version using Coz's chassis and it's possible I will need additional wire to extend and join the AC connections from the two power supplies.  The IEC inlet I purchased has an on-off switch.  Haven't yet sorted a solution for a "power on" light indicator. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: 27 Jul 2012, 09:59 pm »
Some pics of a silver finish that I did. 

mkcarnut

• Go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
« Reply #50 on: 14 Aug 2012, 08:23 am »
I am planning my nCore build, and I wanted to hear what others are doing for power-indicator lights.  I have been debating if I even want one, but I keep thinking it would be nice to have that reassurance when I flip the switch of seeing a little light go on.  I have been thinking of using a blue LED (would like the color to match the blue lights in other equipment I have)...I see Parts Express has a few options, including a nice little black bezel to mount it in the case's wall.  What have others used?

As a related question, in asking Hypex about their cabling provided, Niels responded that the power supply cable set includes "a cable for the auxilary supply voltages that can be used for additional equipment".  I presume that "additional equipment" would include things like a power indicator light.  Right?  (So, I'd hook up the LED to that, with the proper resistor in the line...right?)

Thanks!

Mark

cab

« Reply #51 on: 14 Aug 2012, 03:11 pm »
I received no "aux" power supply cable with mine, only the mains cable, module to smps cable, and module input cable. I ordered the correct header plug and pins to make my own aux cable to power the leds...

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #52 on: 14 Aug 2012, 03:21 pm »
I presume that "additional equipment" would include things like a power indicator light.  Right?  (So, I'd hook up the LED to that, with the proper resistor in the line...right?)

Correct. 

genjamon

« Reply #53 on: 14 Aug 2012, 03:36 pm »
If you just want some form of reassurance all is well, but not necessarily for aesthetic purposes, the amp modules have an array of LED's that light up when powered.  I can see them through the vents on top of my chassis, so that serves for my own reassurance.  Power lights on the front would be nice for my setup, but I'm pretty sure for me it's not worth the hassle of working the chassis and such.

mgalusha

« Reply #54 on: 14 Aug 2012, 09:03 pm »
I received no "aux" power supply cable with mine, only the mains cable, module to smps cable, and module input cable. I ordered the correct header plug and pins to make my own aux cable to power the leds...

Interesting, I've assembled perhaps 20 of these and every single one of the SMPS600's came with the aux cable.

mkcarnut

« Reply #55 on: 14 Aug 2012, 09:19 pm »
Thanks for the answers gents.  I like the idea of using the built-in lights as my reassurance indicators.  In looking at light options, I was concerned some of the LED's would be brighter than I would want.  And, simple is good...so a few well-placed "vent holes" would serve multiple purposes.

Mark

cab

« Reply #56 on: 15 Aug 2012, 01:04 am »
Interesting, I've assembled perhaps 20 of these and every single one of the SMPS600's came with the aux cable.

It gets even stranger- the module to smps cable wasn't terminated on one end and they forgot to include the mains supply cable. When I contacted them, they overnighted all the cables to me (except the aux cable that I was unaware of)....

mkcarnut

« Reply #57 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:10 am »
A follow-up question on those LED's on the amp modules...does anyone have a picture of them "on" with the cover off?  I'd like to see them as part of my case design planning to get my cases built before my modules arrive.

Thanks!

Mark

ajst2duk

« Reply #58 on: 23 Aug 2012, 03:17 am »
I just saw these cases on ebay - had I seen them earlier I would have gone for these. They look custom built just for Ncores !! I still might transplant mine over
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120945750823?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

OzarkTom

« Reply #59 on: 23 Aug 2012, 03:30 am »
Here are some wooden cases from GD-Audio.

http://www.goodcomponent.com/wooden%20chassis.html