Fuse upgrades?

Dishman442

Fuse upgrades?
« on: 11 Nov 2020, 04:21 am »
Ok, so don’t shoot me. I’m asking if any of you have tried fuse upgrades and if so, what fuse in what gear and what did you hear?  The only reason I’m brave enough to ask is that I read somewhere that Klaus (gasp) stocks some of them. It is my belief Klaus’s bull shit meter is set pretty sensitive so if he stocks them, he probably heard something.

klaus@odyssey

Re: Fuse upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2020, 11:16 am »
Yes and no....some do and others might be a sidestep.....call me..

Dishman442

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2020, 11:51 am »
I will call you.  If we are going to discuss things on the hairy edge, I’ll also ask you about graphite/graphine based connection improvement products and cryogenic treatment. It’ll be fun. I’ll bring the S’mores.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2020, 12:42 pm »
Oh boy !!!

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2020, 03:20 pm »
Subscribed...  :popcorn:

genjamon

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2020, 05:33 pm »
I definitely hear clear differences (and improvements) in my Kismet in Khartago case with those I ended up with.  Have upgraded all the fuses in the amp.  But I'm quite curious what Klaus has to say too regarding choices.  May have to call him myself one day.

Dishman442

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2020, 06:34 pm »
Mind telling me which fuses you ended up with?  I have the same kismet/Khartago monos.

genjamon

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2020, 07:40 pm »
I heard a friend's same amp side by side with my own (was trying to use one to diagnose a noise issue in the other), and he had Synergistic red's on the board while mine had stock fuses.  His sounded a lot better.  Afterward, I rebiased my amp, and that didn't address the differential much.  So, then I tried several sets on the cheaper end of things - can't afford to go with $100+ per fuse when there are four fuses on the board and one for power input.  I tried some all-copper mass-produced fuses (Schurter, I think), also maybe AMR and/or original Hifi Tuning, and then finally Furutech/Padis.  The latter were the cleanest, though they do take a while to stop sounding brittle and come into their own due to the rhodium plating (like around 300 hours!).  So, these are what I ended up with, and got them for around $35/each from folks who were blowing out inventory due to their being discontinued.  If they ever blow, then I guess I'll have to either invest a lot more or live with stock.  I found the AMR and Hifi Tuning to be somewhat improvements, but also could have just been lateral.  Not entirely sure on those.  I'd love to hear the latest Synergistic Research Orange, but too rich for my blood.  The Reds in my buddy's old amp seemed to make a great difference (assuming that was the reason for the sonic differences I heard).   

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2020, 08:09 pm »
You're on the right track here......

Longandstraight

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2020, 02:25 am »
I have SR blacks on the rails and SR orange on the IEC with the recently upgraded Kismet Monos. Huge upgrade.

Dishman442

« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2020, 04:13 am »
Thanks, that helps. What did you hear with this upgrade?

maxima95

« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2020, 04:45 pm »
I found the value/characteristics of the 4 rail fuses in the Stratos Stereo.

What are they for the power input fuse?

Thanks

geerock

« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2020, 08:45 pm »
I found the value/characteristics of the 4 rail fuses in the Stratos Stereo.

What are they for the power input fuse?

Thanks

6.3 on regular,  10 amps on Extreme amps...SLOW BLOW,  5x20 mm

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2020, 08:53 pm »
Yes,  but 6.3's  FAST  blow inside....if anybody wants to upgrade their Odyssey amps,  call me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maxima95

« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2020, 09:24 pm »
Thank you for the information.

Longandstraight

« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2020, 03:30 am »
Thanks, that helps. What did you hear with this upgrade?

The blacks where on the rails when I bought the amp along with black in the IEC. Upgraded to the Orange. Just more good of everything. Instrument layering, just a more defined sound all the way around. 

Lkdog

« Reply #16 on: 22 Nov 2020, 06:36 pm »
Yes,  but 6.3's  FAST  blow inside....if anybody wants to upgrade their Odyssey amps,  call me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Klaus- what brands of fuses do you suggest when people wish to swap out the stock fuses??
And which seem to have more impact on the Kismets- the power inlet fuses or the main board fuses?

« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2020, 08:16 am by Lkdog »

GM1055

« Reply #17 on: 29 Nov 2020, 05:52 am »
I put in Synergistic Research Orange fuses into my Stratos Kismit monoblocks and they are Amazing . I got them from Klaus,call him and order some you will be amazed!!!!!

Lkdog

« Reply #18 on: 29 Nov 2020, 06:01 am »
I put in Synergistic Research Orange fuses into my Stratos Kismit monoblocks and they are Amazing . I got them from Klaus,call him and order some you will be amazed!!!!!

So what was different from stock?

GM1055

« Reply #19 on: 29 Nov 2020, 04:31 pm »
The bass was incredible, I have Odyssey Liquids