This is what I heard... The best improvement for very few $

Eduardo AAVM

Hello after some weeks finally I had the time to test the 8th Nerve Roompack.

The room is very small, just 3.5m wide 4.5m deep and 2.65 high it has a large courtain practically all along the right lateral wall, in front wall (left)there is a large wood furniture which holds books CD's, books, tapes, etc.

One thing I always noticed was the echoes generated in this room, you clap and you could hear the echo and reflections specially at the middle of the front wall, I always know it was something that needed to be fixed in order to get a better sound presentation, but all other room treatments I knew of were expensive and big, a major problem when shipping to Mexico.

One day, weeks ago, I found here the 8th Nerve alternative and bought a Roompack, I let some time pass by before installing the kit  because I pretended to have my Odyssey Xtremes here and then test the treatments, but curiosity made me tests the products with this configuration:

-Myryad MI-120 integrated amplifier (60W +60W @ 8 Ohms)
-Myryad MCD-200 and hk 7600 II CD players
-Groneberg Quattro IC's
-Groneberg Quattro Reference for speakers
-Odyssey Epiphony and Castle Warwick 3 speakers

I know my english descriptions are not very fluent but here is what I think I heard after installing the response controllers.

a. Installation is a snap, I used velcro.
b. I installed them in the following order:

1. Corners: Focus improvement. Vocal and instrumental localization and ubication in space is tighter and better definied. The sound was better constructed. Even I think I heard a bass extension improvement, maybe being more focused implies more impact due to definition. A better enveloping sensation.

2. Echoes: Voices and strings of all kind were the most benefited. In other times when a singer reached a peak there was this sensation as if it was screaming a little. Until I placed the response controllers I knew that wasn't the record or CD fault. I think all sounds were more coherent, vivid and presented in a better spatial form. The benefits tonically and spatially for strings and voices were what I was most aware of.

3. Seams: Inmediate soundstage widening, finesse sound, tighter bass are the sonic improvements I heard with this parts.

Note: The echoes I described before no longer exist. Your voice, well I  never heard my own voice in such a way it is very clear in the room and just one source sounding, your mouth.

MY FINAL THOUGHTS: WHEN ONE DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO SIGNIFICALLY IMPROVE YOUR AMPS, SPEAKERS OR SOURCES, YOU SHOULD GO AND GET A ROOMPACK WITH VERY FEW MONEY YOU CAN GET A REALLY PLEASING ENJOYABLE MUSICAL SOUND. A better, more evident improve than many expensive cables and other accesories.

If you have enough money and a great system already, just give a try to this products believe me you'll be really happy to hear how better they can sound yet.

Thanks Bill and 8th Nerve staff for bringing this kind of great audio solutions.

WilliamL

Cool!
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2003, 02:09 pm »
Eduardo,

Thanks again for the feedback.

BTW...I am back from a great last minute vacation in which I was actually in your country. Our cruise took us to Cozumel in Mexico!!! :)  Maybe next time I will try to get to Mexico City...

Cheers,
Bill

Hantra

This is what I heard... The best improvement for very few $
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2003, 02:45 pm »
Maybe next time I will try to get to Mexico City...

Bill, be careful down there if you go to Mexico City.  It was recently reported that HALF of all crime in Mexico City is commited by LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS.  Not only that, but it is estimated that two-thirds of all offenses are never reported, and even with the on-third that are reported, the State Department warned a couple years ago that Mexico City was the number one most dangerous destination for American citizens.