Vent/Ventless Propane Stoves ?

Gvt1911

Vent/Ventless Propane Stoves ?
« on: 16 Feb 2011, 03:18 pm »
Anyone have any insight to installing a vent/ventless propane stove? Building new home and would like to install 2 units? See a lot of brands and different prices. Should I go with Vermont Castings or Lennox? Certainly want to go with American made units....What is the best bang for the buck? :scratch:
Any Comments?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Re: Vent/Ventless Propane Stoves ?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2011, 03:32 pm »
I think you will want a vented unit, especially if you are building a tight house and/or have any respiratory issues. Indoor air quality is generally not as good as it should be.

BobRex

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2011, 03:47 pm »
I was told by a local heating "store" to avoid the ventless if at all possible.  No combustion is 100%, so there will always be some particulate output.  Also, the ventless tend to ouput water vapor, and can over time can lead to mildew and other high humidity problems.

Gvt1911

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2011, 05:05 pm »
Thanks guys, Just read some horror stories about "ventless" systems... :nono:
Going to go vent type now... :P

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2011, 06:25 pm »
It's probably worth noting that Vermont Castings isn't necessarily American made. They were bought by a Canadian company, Majestic/CFM some years back. This company reformed under a similar name, due to multiple acquisitions I think not too long ago. So it may or may not be domestic manufacture. There's nothing noted in their insert paperwork that clarifies where the units are manufactured. I agree with your decision & the other comments on direct vent, the only way to fly based on my insert's operation & efficiency.

Apologies, you clearly said STOVEs, and I rambled on about a fireplace insert. :duh:  For what it's worth if their stoves are as good as the inserts, which I'd expect, it's a good way to go. If those units have fans, that's probably the weakest link. 
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2011, 10:34 pm by ArthurDent »