Need a new 3/8 corded drill - any help?

djpk

Need a new 3/8 corded drill - any help?
« on: 12 Jun 2020, 03:22 am »
My Black and Decker drill died today. It was over 30 years old so it did well for me. I want to replace this drill with a 3/8 corded drill with keyed chuck and made in the USA. I've found some "brand name" Chinese manufactured drills, but I want a drill made in the USA. Any suggestions?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Need a new 3/8 corded drill - any help?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2020, 03:35 am »
Milwaukee tools are made in Wisconsin, Mississippi, and China, so it depends on model.  Their corded drill runs about $65.  The company is now owned by a corporate giant in Hong Kong.  The overall quality is better than most the other popular brands, IMO.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2020, 11:24 am »
A few years ago I bought two Milwaukee drills at a pawn shop. They're older drills with an amazing amount of torque. Something like $5 a piece.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2020, 02:52 pm »
Pretty much all currently available new corded drills are made in China including Black + Decker, Bosch, Craftsman, Dewalt, Hilti, Hitachi/Metabo, Kobalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Ridgid, Ryobi and Skil.

Dewalt and Milwaukee previously had some models made in USA, but they are now made in China, even the Milwaukee Magnum.  Dewalt makes some of their cordless drills in USA, but current Dewalt USA-made corded tools (made with global components) are currently limited to die grinders, angle grinders and drywall screwguns.

If you want a USA-made corded drill, you are pretty much relegated to buying used.

Digi-G

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2020, 03:06 pm »
I think you could easily do better than the Black and Decker, although it sounds like it lasted quite a while.  I'm partial to Dewalt and Craftsman brands, although I admit I don't know where they are manufactured.

I've got a heavy-duty Craftsman drill, with a hammer feature, that is awesome and I'd highly recommend.

Really like my Dewalt tools too.  Be careful if you buy them on-line.  I know there's a scam Dewalt site where the prices are (truly) too good to be true.  It's all about getting your credit card info.

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2020, 03:13 pm »
Today's Black & Decker tools are not your father's B&D. Every current B&D tool I have owned (corded and cordless) failed for some small, inferior part. Some of the parts were plastic and others were metal (gear) too soft for the job it had to do. I also had two batteries fail completely after almost no use.

I do not know about corded drills but I love my Rigid cordless. I still have two ancient corded Sears drills that work but I always default to my Rigid. It has an infinite power cord so I never have to string wire.  :lol:

If I felt the need for a corded drill I would buy Rigid.

djpk

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2020, 05:33 pm »
After a lot of searching I found a Makita drill that met my functional requirements and the box indicates "Assembled in USA". That's about as close as I could get so I ordered it from Acme Tools. Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2020, 05:51 pm »
..... I found a Makita drill that met my functional requirements and the box indicates "Assembled in USA".

Model 6407?  I have a similar but older Makita 6410 which is made in China.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2020, 06:00 pm »
FWIW, I'm a Makita kinda guy. I have an old corded 1/2" drill probably purchased late 70s.  I've replaced the switch and brushes. The only reason I replaced brushes was because I had the thing apart to replace switch so it seemed like good practice. 40+ years of service and it out torques a similar, but newer, Milwaukee. I mixed bags and bags of mortar with it, drilled countless holes. To me that's great service.

It's more of a bench warmer now because I got a mortar mixer, and cordless finally equaled corded performance in many regards.

Another factoid; While most all tool brands are owned by larger conglomerate many-branded companies there are two notable exceptions. Bosch and Makita. Recently got a cordless Makita string trimmer...what a tool!

I'll make a deal on a gas trimmer...

djpk

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2020, 10:58 pm »
Model 6407?  I have a similar but older Makita 6410 which is made in China.
Yes, Model 6407. I saw a photo of the box and it indicated "Assembled in the USA".

djpk

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2020, 03:19 am »
I received my Makita drill and it is assembled in USA according to the box. Very nice drill. Excellent service from Acme Tools. Ordered and shipped on Friday and received on Monday with standard shipping. Better than Amazon and I'll be using Acme for future tool purchases.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2020, 04:22 pm »
I received my Makita drill and it is assembled in USA according to the box.

It also probably says it in very tiny print at the bottom of the drill label itself.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2020, 08:30 pm »
Congrats on the Makita drill. Great gear. And as was said, today’s Black & Decker aren’t the tools my father bought when I was a kid. Not even close. DeWalt is the Black & Decker Co.’s top line. And they’re quality stuff. I love my DeWalt table saw.

I needed a hammer drill and bought a Milwaukee M12 Fuel impact driver and hammer drill combo. Small and very powerful. The hammer drill got through my exterior brick walls for shutter installation without breaking a sweat. I was a bit hesitant about the 12v getting the job done, but I saw a guy in a masonry company t-shirt at Home Depot buying Milwaukee batteries, so I asked his opinion. He claimed to use the one I bought regularly for what I was going to do, and he was absolutely right about its performance. 18v would’ve been overkill.

Makita makes and has always made great gear. My father has owned a bunch of their stuff for decades. He’s a mechanic and puts his tools to work. He’s never had a complaint regarding Makita.