Woo Audio - has anybody heard them?
« on: 5 Oct 2014, 07:08 pm »
I'm looking at WA7 Fireflies
on http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa7fireflies.html
anybody seen them and listened???

plaf26

Re: Woo Audio - has anybody heard them?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2014, 07:39 pm »
Had one for about a year and recently sold it on ebay.  Either I didn't give it a good enough chance or my ears are getting too old, but I was underwhelmed.  Wanted to like them for all the hype about single-ended triodes, but couldn't justify the price for what I was getting out of them.  YMMV, however.  Good luck.

milford3

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2014, 07:48 pm »
I concur with plaf26.  The Schiit is a better buy.  I have heard Woo audio, although not bad, it is over priced.  Let us know what you decide on.  What headphones are you using?

http://schiit.com/products/lyr-2

AKLegal

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2014, 07:52 pm »
The top models at Woo Audio are great though. From the WA6 on up.  But you can't go wrong with Schiit.

plaf26

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2014, 08:04 pm »
For now am settling for the quite nice headphone amp built in to the AVA Fet Valve CF hybrid pre-amp along with my Sony MDR-V6's.

guillaume bougard

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2014, 09:33 am »
I concur with plaf26.  The Schiit is a better buy.  I have heard Woo audio, although not bad, it is over priced.  Let us know what you decide on.  What headphones are you using?

http://schiit.com/products/lyr-2

I have ultrasones (cant remember the model reference though).
I use a Ray Samuels Audio mini amp with balanced output and it is wicked.
I was just curious, not in the market for a headphone amp at the moment. The aesthetics are incredible though...
Honestly, I hardly every use headphones at home, and dont like the idea of being tethered to the stereo, that's why the RSA mini amp, coupled with either an old Ipod classic or a A&K240 would be the setup for me. Sure I dont get to play my records this way, but I prefer playing records on a stereo with loudspeakers.
I play mostly 70's early 80's Dub or Roots Reggae and it sounds much better with loudspeakers!
BTW, speaking of loudspeakers, I can't wait to receive my Super 7XRS, should be ready any day now.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2014, 05:09 pm »
Might as well throw in my 2.14 cents worth. (Canadian funds): 

Decware Zen Head with crossfeed, original Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo, iPod Touch, German Maestro GMP-450 Pro headphones, and Audiophile Products interconnect (sadly no longer available) playing 16/44 files.  On certain recordings this outfit imaged really well, similar to a good room system.  If the music is playing inside your head, something is wrong.  Decware also has some nice home based headphone amps.

Another headphone amp I like just as much as the Decware Zen Head (but has a different sound) is the Headamp Audio Pico amp/DAC.

Both have been on the market for years and are still available, which IMO is a good sign.

jorgen

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2014, 10:26 am »
Hi guys
Sometimes things work out pretty perfect. I got mysself a pair of LCD 2.2 a couple of weeks ago and this thread is just perfect, I need to get myself a second amp. My Decware MT plays these cans IMO very very nice, but one thing is not ideel, I need to disconnect the speakers, even when headphones are plugged in music plays from the speakers aswell, it isnt a technical or a big effort, but I just dont prefer to connect and disconnect speakers all that often. So now Im considering:

Burson Conductor, with DAC it will be very convienient

Decware Taboo; because I like it, and reviews makes me think this is a very good option, custombuild and born to play the tar out of these cans, and I can get a pair og Omegas to have a second system in another livingroom.. (

Transcendense masterpiece; OTL, preamp and headphone amp, and its a kit (both good and bad I guess, my skills considered..) , but I have no idea how it will work  with LCD 2.2 Have heard a lot good though, and nice to try a OTL preamp with the MT
trafomatic head one...
And a few more I guess. Any good advice for a perfect amp is very welcome..

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2014, 01:39 pm »
Checked out the WA7 at AXPONA and felt it was over valued.
I own a WA6 as well as the Lyr. I find the Lyr works well with my Beyer T90's and T1's as well as my AKG 701's.
The Woo not so much on the T90 or AKG. It does really well with the T1 though.
The WA6 can be configured for lower and high impedance phones but I feel the WA6 responds better to high impedance phones. At least through my somewhat limited experience. :|

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2014, 02:28 pm »
Having owned a couple of Lyr's and a WA6, I would say that the Lyr is more versatile and that to
my ears, the Woo has a smoother, more organic sound.   Because of the ability to roll rectifiers
in the Woo, one can change the sonic signature a fair amount.  The Lyr works well with planar/ortho
phones as well as regular drivers.  The Woo with higher impedance regular drivers.  In my system,
the Woo is slightly quieter in terms of background noise. 
Hibuck....

beowulf

« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2014, 01:36 am »
Hi guys
Sometimes things work out pretty perfect. I got mysself a pair of LCD 2.2 a couple of weeks ago and this thread is just perfect, I need to get myself a second amp. My Decware MT plays these cans IMO very very nice, but one thing is not ideel, I need to disconnect the speakers, even when headphones are plugged in music plays from the speakers aswell, it isnt a technical or a big effort, but I just dont prefer to connect and disconnect speakers all that often. So now Im considering:

Burson Conductor, with DAC it will be very convienient

Decware Taboo; because I like it, and reviews makes me think this is a very good option, custombuild and born to play the tar out of these cans, and I can get a pair og Omegas to have a second system in another livingroom.. (

Transcendense masterpiece; OTL, preamp and headphone amp, and its a kit (both good and bad I guess, my skills considered..) , but I have no idea how it will work  with LCD 2.2 Have heard a lot good though, and nice to try a OTL preamp with the MT
trafomatic head one...
And a few more I guess. Any good advice for a perfect amp is very welcome..

It's funny ... I have the Taboo MK II, but have never heard it with headphones, I've always used it as a speaker amp to power my Omegas.  I just don't care for headphones, so I've never had the urge to buy a good set and hook them up to the Taboo.

The guy that I got it from said it was the best headphone amp he ever had and the only reason I got it from him was because he went with the newer Taboo MK III.  The lucid mode is pretty cool with speakers, so I imagine it would be awesome with headphones as well.  He had several head amps including the Cavalli Liquid Fire, but he told me the Decware was better overall than all his others .. if this helps. :thumb: