Right channel issues, am I doing something wrong?

Rclark

Right channel issues, am I doing something wrong?
« on: 5 Jul 2011, 10:43 pm »

Quite often I will lose quite a lot of output in my right channel if I slightly move something around around the stereo and have to shut the unit off, pull the power, and cinch down the posts super hard.

Sometimes there is a strange electronic static from the speaker that occurs with this phenomenon as well. Sometimes this occurs after I cinch down the wire, but shutting the Two off and then on again fixes it and I'm back in business.

I have Zmanastronomy cables. The banana clips failed on the one side so I went ahead and stripped off the enamel and wrapped some of the exposed wire into the binding posts on both the amp and the speakers.

I feel like it's a pretty good connection, it's tight, but I still periodically lose output in the right channel. I go over, and even though it's very much attached and making a connection, I have to cinch down super tight to get output in the right channel again.

What's going on here? My connections have been very finicky and difficult from the beginning.

It's playing now, and both channels have sound. But I know I'm going to have to fix it later.

McIntoshlvr

Re: Right channel issues, am I doing something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2011, 11:12 pm »
Did you try snipping off the existing exposed end and then carefully stripping back some of the plastic casing on the cable to give yourself a 'fresh' set of wire ends to wrap to your posts? I would think it's possible that one or more of the copper strands in your current end could have a tiny (maybe micro) break or something that's causing the problem..? It's a strange problem, this kind of circuit is really pretty straightforward: metal to metal, and the electrons go dancing across. Could be the post itself. Good luck with it!

dvenardos

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2011, 01:15 am »
Shoot off an email to support.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2011, 01:21 am »
Quite often I will lose quite a lot of output in my right channel if I slightly move something around around the stereo and have to shut the unit off, pull the power, and cinch down the posts super hard.

Sometimes there is a strange electronic static from the speaker that occurs with this phenomenon as well. Sometimes this occurs after I cinch down the wire, but shutting the Two off and then on again fixes it and I'm back in business.

I have Zmanastronomy cables. The banana clips failed on the one side so I went ahead and stripped off the enamel and wrapped some of the exposed wire into the binding posts on both the amp and the speakers.

I feel like it's a pretty good connection, it's tight, but I still periodically lose output in the right channel. I go over, and even though it's very much attached and making a connection, I have to cinch down super tight to get output in the right channel again.

What's going on here? My connections have been very finicky and difficult from the beginning.

It's playing now, and both channels have sound. But I know I'm going to have to fix it later.

please email me a few photos of the connections you have on your amp.
jason@virtueaudio.com

it sounds like its a connection problem with the wire and not the amp.
would you like some spade connectors for your cables? or maybe send them to me and I can reterminate them.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2011, 10:07 pm »
I'll send you some pictures tonight. I messed with it for an hour today. Snipped off and scraped some new length of the wire, got nothing, messed with it, got connection.

It's like I'll have right channel for about ten minutes then it drops in output tremendously, doesn't matter what I do. It's very frustrating. It drops to the point of almost zero output or just some static. Switching it off for a bit sometimes helps, but then it will lose the right channel again, given enough time.

When I turn it off for a bit, then turn it back on, I'll hear an extra "click" like a second after I switch on and then I can hear the right channel. Sometimes fully, and loudly, sometimes quietly with some crackling, sometimes deathly quiet.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2011, 08:19 am »
 Oh dang it all to heck. I've spent hours (weeks actually) fiddling with this thing. Every combination of switch speaker, switch cable, try this, try that, it's just something is wrong with the right outputs, period.

And I've babied this thing, believe me, like Gollum with a ring. So it's frustrating.

I am loathe to be without music, I just put this dang thing together, but I'm without music regardless so what's the process here, I ship it to which address and to whom?

Will you still consider it under warrantee since I bought it from Jack Caldwell and he claims it was brand new (I thinking maybe it got rocked pretty hard in the Holographic speakers in his booth before it was ready for it, but I'm just guessing).

Pretty lame. Maybe I can find a cheap pawn shop amp to tide me over meantime.  :(

Edit: another gripe I'd forgotten about. With the preamp section engaged the volume works intermittently on one channel (cuts out on one side at low volume, then comes back in higher) and makes a lot of noise when you turn the dial. I'd forgotten about it cause I never used it. Think I just got a lemon.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2011, 04:06 pm by Rclark »

geared4me

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2011, 04:31 pm »
So why haven't you contacted Virtue Audio to get this taken care of?

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2011, 11:26 pm »
Yeah, sounds like your amp is bad.  :(

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2011, 03:12 am »
Oh dang it all to heck. I've spent hours (weeks actually) fiddling with this thing. Every combination of switch speaker, switch cable, try this, try that, it's just something is wrong with the right outputs, period.

And I've babied this thing, believe me, like Gollum with a ring. So it's frustrating.

I am loathe to be without music, I just put this dang thing together, but I'm without music regardless so what's the process here, I ship it to which address and to whom?

Will you still consider it under warrantee since I bought it from Jack Caldwell and he claims it was brand new (I thinking maybe it got rocked pretty hard in the Holographic speakers in his booth before it was ready for it, but I'm just guessing).

Pretty lame. Maybe I can find a cheap pawn shop amp to tide me over meantime.  :(

Edit: another gripe I'd forgotten about. With the preamp section engaged the volume works intermittently on one channel (cuts out on one side at low volume, then comes back in higher) and makes a lot of noise when you turn the dial. I'd forgotten about it cause I never used it. Think I just got a lemon.

contact Cami@virtueaudio.com and get it back to us I'll get it fixed for you.

do it soon before any other problems arise, if there is a short of some sort inside the amp it will cause more problems.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2011, 04:05 am »
Jason will take good care of you.
Followed your posts from day one when you were bagging on Seth  and it It seems nothing has ever met your standards.  :lol:
You gripe about everything.
Best of luck.
Virtue will not let you down. I believe in them.
You should too.  :thumb:
Tom
And no won't respond to negativity. I am positive by nature and  the luck of draw I have drawn has renewed my faith.
Best of luck.
 :D

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2011, 08:49 am »

Wow, thanks for your that. Seth and I are cool, he knows I'm just a loud opinionated guy who is passionate about the hobby.

I should have taken the $20 extra it would have been to buy brand brand new and done that. But the guy I bought it from is actually very reputable and actually apparently makes very nice stuff and builds it to work with Virtue amps. Anyway, he claimed it only had 6 hours on it and was just used for the RMAF show and Seth vouched for him. Who knows what happened to the amp. Could'a something happened to it en route.

It seemed to work fine at the beginning, minus that weird volume issue with the preamp. Again I shut that part off so it wasn't an issue but somehow the volume problem "bled" out of the preamp section  to now where there's just no right channel output, it's nearly silent. Or comes on at start but eventually leaves.

ARGH.

I can't say what happened to mine, but I've taken very good care of it. I love the amp, it's the finest piece of gear in my sytem. This kind of stuff happens with anything. I am a lifelong Virtue customer from here on out.

Thank you Jason, I'll email her and I hope I can get this sucker shipped out on Monday.

I might have to order some stuff from you so you can send me back a slightly larger box. I want a mesa case for sure. Or maybe black.

I love my Two.2, the only reason I'm pissed is I can't listen to it right now.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2011, 12:46 pm »
Virtue will NOT let you fall, they just don't do that, deep breath and send er in dude....where are you located?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2011, 01:24 pm »
You did change to a different speaker cable, right? Just making sure the Zmanastronomy cables aren't of the enameled type such as some Cardas and Straightwire cables. With enameled cables, although they look like the wire is exposed, it is not. I found this out the hard way with a situation similar to yours. I had to crank down real hard on the cable just ot get an intermittent connection. Good luck.

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2011, 06:45 pm »
h they're enameled. But I took it off with sandpaper till it was shiny. Go further?

The cables sound great but they've been a pita. Wierd lengths and coathanger stiffness made a clip fail (at speaker) so I removed all of them. Only cable I've used.

Not the cables because I switched the. Back and forth a dozen times.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jul 2011, 08:24 pm »
I would try some standard speaker cables before shipping the amp off. Even something as simple as zip cord just to be sure.
I had to buy a solder pot to remove the enamel off  my Straightwire Black Silc cables. What a PIA that stuff is. You could also take an ohm meter to the cables to see if you removed the enamel.

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jul 2011, 11:29 pm »
I've got something. Lemme check. Nope. Zero output. None. Lemme email and send this out.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jul 2011, 04:37 am »
Reezie,

Check your PM for instructions on how to send it back to us.  We'll work something out as we always do.

I'm sorry that we don't formally support warranty transfer today.  However, we will support warranty transfer with the new THREE since it's a more expensive and gives us margin to handle strange things that happen when amps travel and transfer.  It's also got fewer mechanical parts - that stepped potentiometer on the ONE.2 and TWO.2 has been especially problematic.  Please note that we will never pay for return shipment of broken amps and will encourage customers to buy local if they are out of country.

Seth

Rclark

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2011, 04:51 am »
Ok, I just want to get it running. Sounds good. Thanks Seth.

EDIT: By the way, isn't it cool that two brand new Audiocircle members registered and posted in my thread? Hugs all around.
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2011, 09:34 am by Rclark »