Soundfield Audio Monitor 1... Here We Go!

Saturn94

Re: Soundfield Audio Monitor 1... Here We Go!
« Reply #380 on: 1 May 2013, 02:01 pm »
I intended to quote a request for review, but just got the +1. This is for you Saturn.
Let me know what tracks you would like me to compare, and I will be happy share my notes. In my mind this is the easiest/best way to provide you with useful information.
Paul

Thanks for the offer.  Do you have a track list?

Of course the best thing is for me to hear the SAM2 myself, which I plan to do at CAF.

:D

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #381 on: 1 May 2013, 02:40 pm »
At the price point you got stuck with that speaker at I wouldn't mourn the loss.  Good deal for the consumer, but I never thought sustainable for you, even at $1300. 
Correct, but my business model is a bit different from the norm. But yes, continuing as such could not support shows and tours, plus maintenance (amp/driver failure etc) etc. without seriously being in the red.

So I've got the reason for the demise of the KEF driver, why did the separately powered bass driver go the way of the dodo?  I always thought that was the more groundbreaking innovation.  (You can tell me to shut up any time, no offence)
It didn't. The M2 is not the replacement for the M1...which will have active bass. It's a completely separate design, like all, it involves tradeoffs. I could certainly add an onboard active subwoofer, but chose not to with this design. I wanted to keep it as an under 60 lbs stand mount.
Actually, the original (M2) version was active woofer (not sub, woof) up to the 1k XO. The enclosure had to be straight sided so that the amp could be mounted on the back, or curved sided with the amp integrated into a stand (which would then be mandatory). Obviously, you can see the complexity rising. Such a version will still be released, which I'm sure will make the SET/low power folks happy.

And why the separately powered rear driver on the 2?  Why not wire it in series with an on/off toggle a la Snell?  (I should mention I love the rear firing tweeter design)
The separate filter network has zero effect of the main (front) drivers and the load presented to the amp. But more importantly, it allows remote operation/variability of the rear driver when used with a remote controlled amp (something as simple as a stereo receiver will do). For me, it is rare that I find a one setting fits all recordings. Quite the opposite. I find that various levels of rear enhancement a much better solution for various recordings, sometimes none being best! How does one do that without a remotely variable driver? Get up constantly during playback and fiddle with it in between? I'd much rather sit in one spot and adjust to taste, on the fly. I figure most others will to once they try it.

Lastly, for now, why the in between size?  The question is 1/2 marketing question and 1/2 design question.  I'm guessing larger cabinet for SPL as you didn't design a deeper bass extension?  For marketing I'm thinking either extend the size to floorstander or integral stand?  Thanks in advance for any answers or thoughts you'd be willing to share, and of course wishing the best of luck with the new model to one of the truly gracious gentlemen in high end audio.
The size was easy. That's the size required to fit all those front drivers :lol:. The planar is big (almost 10" H). It is taller (but slightly narrower) than the M1, but not heavier. Obviously a bigger stand mount, but there are several that size (I believe PSlate replaced one just that size).
Yes, floor standers are on the way. Actually, one will be at LSAF. No, not the version shown on the website, which is effectively a tower version of the M2. These will have active (mid)bass  :wink:.

cheers,

AJ

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #382 on: 1 May 2013, 03:59 pm »
Thanks for the great answers AJ.  I can see how I was looking at the M2 as the evolution of the M1 when it's not, which makes much more sense to me.  This is good news as I assume that means there will someday be another M1 variation, as your schedule permits. 

I suppose we'll just disagree on the rear tweeter.  Although I understand the added flexibility, where I come from is owning Snell speakers with a rear supertweeter that has a toggle switch and I always left it on for every recording, from rock to classical.  What we'll agree on is the added ambience of a rear firing tweeter, or other drivers a la 1812, opens up the sound so much that I can't imagine why more designers don't include it.

There is a significant history of larger monitors in the marketplace, think Polk, B&W, JBL 4311 (had 'em), and even older Altecs and Tannoys.  And there's plenty of stands that fit the M2.  But there's a reason why zillions of bookshelf speakers are sold in the sizes popular today, and why Polk, B&W, JBL, Altec, and Tannoy don't offer those sizes anymore.  Now of course your marketing model is much different from theirs and the distinction may be a clear advantage as exclusivity and pride of owning something that no one else has (relatively) is a strong suit for you.  However the marketer in me says don't make it too hard or complex for the public, we think "Man, extra cables and amps, I gotta buy new stands, I dunno".  So I would respectfully suggest in the future thinking about implementing the dedicated stands you mentioned (maybe as option or upgrade) and a more complete solution for the tweeter, possibly an inexpensive Chinese T amp with a little remote, they cost about $10-20 in reasonable lot sizes.

And it goes without saying we know all of the products you bring to us are put together with limited time and I'm sure everything you want yourself doesn't always make it in.  It's amazing what you do with that time as it is, the speakers are better than what full time engineers with corporate budgets do, I hope you'll take my suggestions as constructive. 

medium jim

« Reply #383 on: 1 May 2013, 04:05 pm »
Kudos to those like AJ who make them affordable.   I too had my share of small to medium sized monitors over the years and still have a pair of Dynaco's that were cost friendly and did pretty much what the big name guys offerings did.  Every now and then I hook them up and transport back to a time where things were much less complicated (for me). 

Jim

neekomax

« Reply #384 on: 1 May 2013, 04:18 pm »
Thanks for the great answers AJ.  I can see how I was looking at the M2 as the evolution of the M1 when it's not, which makes much more sense to me.  This is good news as I assume that means there will someday be another M1 variation, as your schedule permits. 

I suppose we'll just disagree on the rear tweeter.  Although I understand the added flexibility, where I come from is owning Snell speakers with a rear supertweeter that has a toggle switch and I always left it on for every recording, from rock to classical.  What we'll agree on is the added ambience of a rear firing tweeter, or other drivers a la 1812, opens up the sound so much that I can't imagine why more designers don't include it.

There is a significant history of larger monitors in the marketplace, think Polk, B&W, JBL 4311 (had 'em), and even older Altecs and Tannoys.  And there's plenty of stands that fit the M2.  But there's a reason why zillions of bookshelf speakers are sold in the sizes popular today, and why Polk, B&W, JBL, Altec, and Tannoy don't offer those sizes anymore.  Now of course your marketing model is much different from theirs and the distinction may be a clear advantage as exclusivity and pride of owning something that no one else has (relatively) is a strong suit for you.  However the marketer in me says don't make it too hard or complex for the public, we think "Man, extra cables and amps, I gotta buy new stands, I dunno".  So I would respectfully suggest in the future thinking about implementing the dedicated stands you mentioned (maybe as option or upgrade) and a more complete solution for the tweeter, possibly an inexpensive Chinese T amp with a little remote, they cost about $10-20 in reasonable lot sizes.

And it goes without saying we know all of the products you bring to us are put together with limited time and I'm sure everything you want yourself doesn't always make it in.  It's amazing what you do with that time as it is, the speakers are better than what full time engineers with corporate budgets do, I hope you'll take my suggestions as constructive.

Interesting points, my man.

Seems to me that one of the features of Soundfield Audio up to this point has been something of a conscious disregard for a lot of the marketing calculations that normally go into building and branding audio gear, in favor of science-based implementation of available technology using utilitarian design principles- IOW 'get the best sound, with the least extraneous costs.'

Now, for me, it was kind of a no brainer when the SAM1s were offered, because they offered these sound design principles without the magic audiophile markup (a la 'marine' equipment... go to a marine supply store and see how much a bag of screws cost  :o). And this is possible because, correct me if I'm wrong here, but AJ's prime motivation, even second motivation, is not the money, or being able to send his kids to college with the proceeds of his speaker sales.

So, I don't know if I'm correct about this, but it seems to me that as long as AJ's making and selling this stuff, better get some of it, because it can't be a forever 'business' model.

neekomax

« Reply #385 on: 1 May 2013, 05:38 pm »
... and I forgot to mention - the very reason that AJ is able to innovate is that he hasn't started with the question, 'What will sell, and how much margin can I build in?', rather he's apparently started with the question, 'What will sound best?'.

Revolutionary!  :lol:

pslate

« Reply #386 on: 1 May 2013, 05:39 pm »
Interesting points, my man.

Seems to me that one of the features of Soundfield Audio up to this point has been something of a conscious disregard for a lot of the marketing calculations that normally go into building and branding audio gear, in favor of science-based implementation of available technology using utilitarian design principles- IOW 'get the best sound, with the least extraneous costs.'

Now, for me, it was kind of a no brainer when the SAM1s were offered, because they offered these sound design principles without the magic audiophile markup (a la 'marine' equipment... go to a marine supply store and see how much a bag of screws cost  :o). And this is possible because, correct me if I'm wrong here, but AJ's prime motivation, even second motivation, is not the money, or being able to send his kids to college with the proceeds of his speaker sales.

So, I don't know if I'm correct about this, but it seems to me that as long as AJ's making and selling this stuff, better get some of it, because it can't be a forever 'business' model.

I kicked myself for not getting the SAM-1's at the introductory price, but I am so pleased that I have a pair. I learned it pays to get in at the ground level with Soundfield stuff, so when the SAM-2 came up, and I heard it at Axpona, I hopped right on it. My expectations have been exceeded by a great degree, mind blowing stuff. Not sure if prices could rise, I don't think that is the plan, but I didn't want to risk it either.

Saturn94

« Reply #387 on: 8 May 2013, 12:58 am »
I'm not charging at the door this year Jim, come on down.  :green:

No, it means I'm still scrambling to get ready for LSAF.
Tour might happen, though it's not priority #1. Or 2 right now.

cheers,

AJ

So how was LSAF?  Hope it went well for you.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #388 on: 8 May 2013, 02:31 am »
So how was LSAF?  Hope it went well for you.
It was fun. Check out the LSAF threads (others had even more fun!).
Was nice to test out the prototype systems in a huge (but probably unrealistic) room. Looking forward to the more domestic sized space of CapFest...though they did move this year... :duh:

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #389 on: 9 May 2013, 06:39 pm »
So I would respectfully suggest in the future thinking about implementing the dedicated stands you mentioned (maybe as option or upgrade) and a more complete solution for the tweeter, possibly an inexpensive Chinese T amp with a little remote, they cost about $10-20 in reasonable lot sizes.

Sorry I missed this. There are several options regarding the rear tweeter, as Paul can attest to.
The stands are coming, mandatory for the curved sided active (woofer) version. I actually bought such an amp (cheapo) for just such purpose, prior to building the M2, only to find the "remote volume" was a farce :duh:. But yes, an integrated solution, included with speaker, would obviously be optional and one I've been very busy exploring.
It's impossible to insult me :lol:.

cheers,

AJ

p.s. CapFest will be here in no time, see you there. New venue too. Maybe I'll bring the tour pair with for launch. No promises.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #390 on: 10 May 2013, 04:21 am »
Sweet.  I'm glad we're thinking along the same lines.  And trust me, I've brought several new products to market and you never get all the things you want included the first time you bring it to market. 

"L'arte non è mai finita, solo abbandonata."
                                          Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci

xsb7244

« Reply #391 on: 14 May 2013, 01:16 am »
What time is it?  Time to start a Soundfield Audio Monitor 2 thread.  Somebody please start a new thread.

neekomax

« Reply #392 on: 14 May 2013, 02:05 am »
What time is it?  Time to start a Soundfield Audio Monitor 2 thread.  Somebody please start a new thread.

Sounds like we have a volunteer  :wink:

Saturn94

« Reply #393 on: 14 May 2013, 02:10 am »

Here you go;

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116711.new#new

:thumb:

pslate

« Reply #394 on: 17 Mar 2015, 04:54 pm »
Just a note to recommend AJ's excellent service. I had to send in one of my SAMs and AJ could not have been more helpful or easy to work with. I am soooooooooo happy to have it back. I still love these things just as much as the first day I got them. Best decision I ever made in audio.

skite30

« Reply #395 on: 17 Mar 2015, 07:52 pm »
I can second the AJ is amazingly helpful. He installed some mundorf sio caps in them and replaced a driver that fedex damaged. All at no charge plus he took me to lunch. How great is that for customer service. I still love mine and highly recommend the sio caps as a really good upgrade. I have had mine for 3 years which in 30 years is,the longest I have kept a speaker and have not even thought about changing them.

Saturn94

« Reply #396 on: 17 Mar 2015, 08:20 pm »
+1 on the excellent service.  :thumb:

Still loving my M1s as well.  8)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #397 on: 17 Mar 2015, 08:40 pm »
  I agree AJ is a rare bird in our business. Extremely helpful, an expert at what he does and more than fair with pricing. Not many others can claim that.
   His products ARE the real deal. Once you hear them at home you look for your checkbook. Highly recommended.

charles

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #398 on: 17 Mar 2015, 09:26 pm »
Thanks guys, promo checks are in the mail, 50 bucks a piece as per usual :lol:

Was wondering who resurrected this thing...checking a pm I got and saw this, whoa.
Unfortunately no LSAF for me again this year due to Axpona being weekend before. What a bummer. :(

cheers,

AJ

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #399 on: 17 Mar 2015, 11:22 pm »
Sorry to hear that Dallas is not in your plans.  Hearing your SAM1's a few years back was the surprise of the show for me... in a very, very good way. 

Scott