Adding phono to my multipurpose HT

Hoots

« on: 26 May 2003, 03:20 am »
Is there a way to have a HT pass through switch that seem so popular on many modern preamps?  I'd like to have a phono and 2-channel pre-amp for listening to lps and CDs but I"d also like to use the same speakers for HT.  

Today I have an Outlaw 1050 connected to a Dynaco ST-70 with Sony SCD-CD775 SACD/CD player and Toshiba DVD Player playing through 1977 Klipsch Cornwall 96db speakers.  I"m adding a Music Hall MMF-5 and now need a phono.  My perception is that using a 2-channel pre-amp plus phono would be better than simply connecting a phono to the Outlaw.  I tried my Dyanco PAS3 but it's too muddy sounding.  The current setup on CDs can drive cymbal sound pretty loud...I'm not sure if that's just the recording our my speakers and electronics...it's a bit too much for me (examples are XTC songs from Fossil Fuel CD).

I was thinking about the Octal plus a phono stage.  Any recommendations?

Dr. Lloyd

• http://www.mapletreeaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2003, 11:13 pm »
As I am not a Home Theatre system owner, I am not clear on what function you wish to perform. I presume that you would use two of the power amp channels each driving a speaker for 2-channel listening. What is the HT input situation--5 input jacks? Perhaps you could explain the configuration you wish to set up.

Regards,

Lloyd