There will be no VANDERSTEEN 9's.

ctsooner

There will be no VANDERSTEEN 9's.
« on: 5 Jan 2016, 02:50 pm »
It's been scrapped, because Richard just doesn't want to put out a larger more expensive speaker just to make some money. I'll post more when I get back home in a few days, but I thought I'd share a bit as to why.
It was to be based on the Seven Mk II, but for very large rooms.  They would have been able to be played very loudly for those who want to share with the neighbors (the 7 mk II play as loud in a large room as anyone would ever need).  The multiple drivers required to do this smeared the music so badly that the emotion and magic of the 7's was lost. What many don't realize is that the more drivers that are used the more difficult it is to implement without smearing the sound waves. It's basic physics I was told, but I'm not an engineer.  The project is canceled, because Richard won't design a speaker that he wouldn't own even if he may lose the top end of the market, because seem folks won't listen to an amazing speaker that can do it all, if it's not over 100k and isn't huge and over built.
I'm sure he's working on other projects as the company grows, but this shows that he'll only come to market with great gear we all love.

darthlaker

Re: There will be no VANDERSTEEN 9's.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2016, 04:11 am »
Thanks for the post!

Looking forward to your next post on this topic!

Cheers

ctsooner

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2016, 03:30 pm »
I'm sure that Richard's working on other equipment and upgrades.  The small upgrades he did on the 7's sure seem to have made a huge difference and at that level we all know it's not easy. 

I really hope that those who are wanting a huge speaker over 100k will look and listen to the 7 mk II's.  I've heard the Tidal's, the Wilson XLF's, large Magico's and so many others.  There are some awesome speakers out there, however I've yet to be blown away by the really large ones. There is smearing.  You can't get around that right now with the materials out there.  I've never heard a speaker sound as good as the 7's.  Folks just need to listen and not just go by what they read from posters like me and others.  That goes for the negative crap out there from folks who only like their own brand etc....  I love it when folks go and listen to something I've written about.  Even if they don't love it, at least they went to listen.  That's missing more than most folks think.  I've spoken offline to so many guys to read and or post on these audio forums and most have never heard most of the products that are discussed.  I know a few who are well known posters on Audiogon who are posting about things they have NO IDEA about, but they try and rip many of us who actually do hear many products in our travels or in our homes.  It's really amazing that folks waste so much money chasing their tails, when they could find a great dealer they trust and put a system together.  You end up saving more money in the end I think and you get newer gear.  JMHO.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2016, 04:27 pm »
Maybe Richard will offer fully powered versions of his products one day i.e.: an active 2CEIIs.
Maybe Richard will venture into the outdoor professional sound re enforcement arena creating a perfect piston horn mid and tweeter.

ctsooner

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2016, 04:32 pm »
I can see him focusing on amps and possibly even a pre someday.  It takes a very long time for him to do something totally new as it has to be as close to perfect as he can get and that's not easy.  I'd love to see powered speakers, but I'm not sure that he can do it as he loves SET on top and SS on the bottom.  I don't think placing them in speakers makes sense to him.  He even has crossovers outside the speaker box or in his amp.  Maybe we could get a great amp that would be smaller than his 50k one.  That would be pretty awesome.  Then you can focus on a great pre/DAC and call it a day. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2016, 05:38 pm »
The original is a landmark speaker.  RV free-standed his mid range and treble drivers atop the cabinet and time aligned them so their delivery would coalesce in time and yield a deep and transparent soundstage. 

ctsooner

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2016, 05:50 pm »
Most would agree about the 2's.  he still keeps that time and phase alignment with a 1st order cross over as we know.  That's one reason why a larger, mega driver speaker just won't do what he would need it to do.  I still find it amazing that he's taken his company from the original 2 up to the 7's and everything in between.  For him to get the sound out of a Quatro as the price he does is amazing.  Too many folks equate great sound with mega drivers, huge boxes etc, but he's proven that a properly implemented design using custom drivers with some exotic materials (carbon fiber and special caps and components) make a great sounding speaker.  His speakers cost more to make than similarly prices ones from Wilson and others. go cost out how much is would be to put new drivers in a Wilson Sophia.  I know a few of the Wilson dealers who joke about the money being put into marketing and profit so they can keep a much larger mark up than some of the top end speakers out there. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2016, 06:58 pm »
What many don't realize is that the more drivers that are used the more difficult it is to implement without smearing the sound waves.

At audio shows I have noticed that the more complicated the system, the less I tend to like it. The Legacy speaks, for example, have always left me cold, but the simple 2-ways in the Audio Note room draw me right into the music every time. The Audio Note guy (forget his name) told me "The more complex the layout, the harder it is to create the illusion that the sound is all coming from one source." Same point, different wording. (Single driver systems obviously don't have this issue but have other shortcomings.)

Wish Vandersteen would show at Capital Audiofest; I've heard a lot about them and would be interested in hearing them in the flesh.

ctsooner

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2016, 07:03 pm »
DB, where do you live?  He has a dealer in Centerville VA as well as in NJ. 

darthlaker

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2016, 07:58 pm »
I'm sure that Richard's working on other equipment and upgrades.  The small upgrades he did on the 7's sure seem to have made a huge difference and at that level we all know it's not easy.

Thanks for the news! What (huge?) differences are there between a 7 Mk 1 vs a 7 Mk 2?

ctsooner

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2016, 11:34 pm »
You will get an even better 3D type of presentation.  Just a wonderful soundstage.  You will also get an even cleaner midrange that will give you the most revealing presentation that he's ever offered.

From those who own them, they've told me that they are a more engaging speaker.  Even more musical with an emotional connection that Vandersteen's give those of us who own them.  The more Richard learns, the better off his products get. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2016, 01:08 am »
DB, where do you live?  He has a dealer in Centerville VA as well as in NJ.

In MD... but I'm just a tire kicker really. I do see they represent in the entry level (for "high-end") segment though, which is nice.

ctsooner

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2016, 04:41 pm »
It's all good DB.  Go to the store in Centerville, VA to check them out.  You'll be floored most probably. Enjoy. I've been there once before and they were awesome.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2016, 06:02 pm »
maybe there will be a special edition version of the model seven that is built with extra expensive parts like this speaker below which has few drivers costing over 100K

"Kaiser Acoustic’s Kawero! Classic loudspeaker is exceptional inside and out. This beautiful tower has a custom Raal ribbon tweeter that sits atop the system and has a built-in precision tool for placement, a 7-inch midrange driver, and a rear-facing woofer. This particular Classic loudspeaker is a special edition—one of only 30 pairs made—and retails for $100,000 per pair, though the non-special-edition Classics will set you back between $55,000 and $65,000 a pair. The cabinet is made from tankwood, also known as Panzerholz, an extremely hard and dense compressed wood product made in Germany. Tankwood is sonically better than MDF, though it’s much more expensive—it’s basically bulletproof. The Kawero! Classic is finished in high-gloss wood paneling and can be ordered with internal or external crossovers."

yea a bullet proof vandersteen.

ctsooner

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2016, 10:44 pm »
mgsboed, what is your knowledge on Vandersteen speakers?  Do you read my posts about what they are made of?  They are one of the most expensive speakers per cost on the market.  That's why more than a few dealers I know won't sell them.  They make more on other brands.  Carbon fiber is very expensive to use and it's not easy to work with by any means.  Richards also uses top of the line Audioquest cabling and wiring in his speakers.  He does use expensive caps where they make a listenable difference.  Even though folks talk about his connector strips, they too are top of the line barrier strips that are more expensive than many of the speaker connectors used by others.  The 7's cabinet is a very detailed and hard to produce cabinet. 

I've heard so many 100k plus speakers that make a lot of claims.  Some of them sound very nice.  Open, detailed, dynamic etc....a few are even musical, but I've yet to hear one sound better than the 7's.  I'm not the only one either.  Every little thing in a speaker will affect it's sound.  Have you actually heard those speakers?  Are those 'upgrades' worth the 40k addition?  Do you know what Tankwood is? It's highly pressed plywood with resin.  Yes, it's very stiff.  It's not the most expensive material under the sun either.  An 84X30X1 costs about $865.  Not cheap, but its' easy to cut and machine.  Using constrained layers and with carbon fiber is very difficult to work with, plus Richard had to go through a lot of different types of fiber before he settled on the one he is using. 

You should also check out his site to read about how his drivers are made.  They are very expensive to make, but they are worth it based on the reviews and sales he's made.  I also notice that very very few used Vandersteens from Treo's on up are ever offered.  Usually it's because a newer model has come out and the person is upgrading within the line, like I will when I can sell my Treo's. 

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2016, 11:34 pm »
ctsooner wrote "..........like I will when I can sell my Treo's. ........"  are they listed yet?

kojopox

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2016, 03:12 am »
 :)
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2020, 09:04 pm by kojopox »

ctsooner

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2016, 12:20 pm »
MGSB, they were on another site.  I have been too lazy to re list them, lol.  But, yes they are for sale.   :thumb: