BDA-3 DAC

audio.bill

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #800 on: 3 Aug 2017, 12:53 pm »

Please let me get back on this just to be sure:

I've set the outputs on the sacd to pcm, and depending on the audio on the sacd, the highest i will get is 88.1/24? If I set it to bitstream, I will get the dsd format, and the resolution would depend on what's recorded.

Where I thought to have to buy a new player, was thinking of the Oppo 205, I would in fact need a new dac which can decode all those formats? Only thing my current BDA1 decodes is the PCM stream, which is limited per SACD design. Would i be able to play the Bitstream/dsd signal, i would be enjoying the max possibility of these discs?

Of course the Oppo gives me an updated DAC too, and does it all in one machine, which can be connected to the BP26 :-) Which would lead to another problem: need more balanced inputs on the BP26. Cd, and Dac are connected now, so no spare inputs left.

If id hook it up earlier in the chain, id choose the AES-EBU route to the DAC. Which the Oppo hasn't got...

Cheers,
Marius
Marius - I think James would be best qualified to respond to your post in detail, but I believe the only way your DAC will decode the native DSD from an SACD is via HDMI.

gbaby

« Reply #801 on: 3 Aug 2017, 01:39 pm »
Audio.bill, for whatever this is worth, if you get a Sony player, SACD will decode at sampling rate of PCM 176.4 which I prefer. I own the BDA-3 and while DSD is nice to have for bragging rights, I find PCM sufficient for all my listening needs.

Marius

« Reply #802 on: 3 Aug 2017, 02:26 pm »
Audio.bill, for whatever this is worth, if you get a Sony player, SACD will decode at sampling rate of PCM 176.4 which I prefer. I own the BDA-3 and while DSD is nice to have for bragging rights, I find PCM sufficient for all my listening needs.

As i understood Krutsch on this forum, the Sony takes the 88.2 sr and upsamples to 176.4? so that wouldn't be the original, which as James always states, has his preference putting in into the DAC.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD there's either the original cd layer at 44.1 pcm or the original dsd layer at 1/28224... i'm curious as to which source is used for outputting over HDMI? is it the original 16/44.1 upsampled to 88.2 PCM, or is it the 1/28224 trans-sampled to 88,2 and then upsampled to your preference of 176.4. :scratch:

Still a bit mystifying to me, and keeping to James's originals philosophy one would need a sacd player's HDMI output into a DSD capable dac for the high res layer, or a standard cd player for the original 16/44.1 layer. All in between is calculated on the SACD player. Apparently the Oppo 205 has a state of the art dac that can decode the DSD signal the way the new BDA3 does.

Cheers,
Marius

gbaby

« Reply #803 on: 4 Aug 2017, 02:20 pm »

As i understood Krutsch on this forum, the Sony takes the 88.2 sr and upsamples to 176.4? so that wouldn't be the original, which as James always states, has his preference putting in into the DAC.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD there's either the original cd layer at 44.1 pcm or the original dsd layer at 1/28224... i'm curious as to which source is used for outputting over HDMI? is it the original 16/44.1 upsampled to 88.2 PCM, or is it the 1/28224 trans-sampled to 88,2 and then upsampled to your preference of 176.4. :scratch:

Still a bit mystifying to me, and keeping to James's originals philosophy one would need a sacd player's HDMI output into a DSD capable dac for the high res layer, or a standard cd player for the original 16/44.1 layer. All in between is calculated on the SACD player. Apparently the Oppo 205 has a state of the art dac that can decode the DSD signal the way the new BDA3 does.

Cheers,
Marius

Marius, I don't think this is correct. What happens is the Sony takes a DSD file from SACD and down samples it to 176.4 whereas the Oppo takes the same file and down samples it to 88.2. This is assuming your processor cannot decode DSD from it HDMI input.

gbaby

« Reply #804 on: 4 Aug 2017, 02:21 pm »
Delete

Marius

« Reply #805 on: 4 Aug 2017, 02:40 pm »
Marius, I don't think this is correct. What happens is the Sony takes a DSD file from SACD and down samples it to 176.4 whereas the Oppo takes the same file and down samples it to 88.2. This is assuming your processor cannot decode DSD from it HDMI input.

Thanks

That makes sense ;-)
In any case both the 88.2 and 176.4 signals are internally reworked signals of the original layer. And therefor dependent on the used dac. I would suspect that the internals of a 250+ dollar machine would be inferior to the BDA3 (or Oppo205 for that matter) Though I've seen stranger things in audiophile country.
Taking the original into that superior DAC would be one's favorite then.

As always the proof is in the eating, and I will certainly try to arrange that anytime soon  :thumb:

Cheers,
Marius

soundmax

« Reply #806 on: 5 Aug 2017, 08:11 am »
Hi,

I have a small curiosity if someone would be kind to enlighten me: the different BDA-3 revision numbers written on the back panel (like 1536, 1551, 1616, etc.) represent different hardware versions of the product ?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2017, 01:19 pm by soundmax »

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #807 on: 5 Aug 2017, 05:06 pm »
Hi,

I have a small curiosity if someone would be kind to enlighten me: the different BDA-3 revision numbers written on the back panel (like 1536, 1551, 1616, etc.) represent different hardware versions of the product ?

Thanks,

I think that's the date of mfr.
1536 = Sept 2015

Syncytial

« Reply #808 on: 6 Aug 2017, 09:43 pm »
<snip>
In any case both the 88.2 and 176.4 signals are internally reworked signals of the original layer. And therefor dependent on the used dac. I would suspect that the internals of a 250+ dollar machine would be inferior to the BDA3 (or Oppo205 for that matter) Though I've seen stranger things in audiophile country.

Taking the original into that superior DAC would be one's favorite then.

As always the proof is in the eating, and I will certainly try to arrange that anytime soon  :thumb:

Cheers,
Marius

Marius, et al...

Some thoughts and experience with SACD & Oppo in a Bryston based system...

Most of my listening is CD, primarily classical and jazz, with selected performances from other genres. CD replay is via a BOT-1/BDP-2 to a good, non-Bryston (so far!) DAC. The balance of the chain is Bryston as well - BP17, 7B3s, and Middle-Ts. For headphone use, I have a BHA-1 in the main HiFi. I attend live music frequently, and that is my primary point of reference.

Because I wanted to explore SACDs, which promise better reproduction, and many well-regarded classical recordings are available as SACDs (e.g. Alia Vox), I started exploring my options some time ago. I opted to purchase a Kanex HDMI de-embedder and a good DVD player as an experiment, without expending a lot of money. The DVD was a Pioneer Elite DV-58AV. I used the optical out from the Kanex, as that was the only available input on my DAC.

I was pleased with the improvement in sound vs the analogue output of the Pioneer, and it was better than the CD layer on most hybrid SACD discs (different mastering for the different layers may account for some variability.) The Pioneer downsampled the SACD to 88k2 for output on HDMI. As noted previously, some players will output 176k4. There is considerable debate about the merits of recording or playback of PCM sampling rates above 96/24. In fact Oppo has stated they chose 88k2 output because it was preferable, not because of hardware limitation.

When Bryston announced the BDA-3, I naturally lusted after it... and one of the reasons for my interest was the prospect of running full DSD64 via HDMI into the BDA-3. I don't usually jump in early when new products and technology come to market, but I have followed press and discussion closely.

Now for some of the complications... Bryston also released the BCD-3, which has raised the prospect of improved playback of the bulk of my library, which is rather large. I haven't taken full advantage of the BDP-2 for file-based playback, due largely to the horrors of the classical meta-data situation, and the uncertainty of provenance/mastering of much of the high-res downloads available. The thought of ripping my collection, and especially the need to massage the meta-data on a track by track basis is not appealing.

I also have a small number of Blu-Ray Audio and DVD-Audio discs, and I'd like to be able to listen to Blu-ray & DVD concert recording on the main HiFi, not just on the video system, which is good, but not up to the standard of the main HiFi. So, when the new Oppos were announced, I started following developments there. I already had very good experience with an Oppo 103D in the video system.

The introduction of the 203 & 205 naturally released some 103/105 series players into the secondary market at fair prices. I decided to purchase a used 103 for the music system, which would add Blu-ray capability, and improve various other aspects vs the Pioneer, which was starting to show its age. That worked out well, and I was happy.

I was still using the Kanex, and when an opportunity to try an upgraded DAC board and power supply for the 103 arose, I jumped in. The DAC was potentially similar to that used in the 105, and substantial claims were made about the benefit of the power supply. The end result was a significant improvement in audio quality, and I was very pleased, though it wasn't perfect - a very low level hum was introduced, related to drive activity, which I haven't resolved yet. It's only notable on headphones, but that is significant to me.

With the minor hum issue, the BDA-3 being a long-term goal, the BCD-3 nagging at me, and now the potential for the BP-173 to upset my equilibrium, I was still contemplating purchasing a 105, if one in suitable condition and reasonable cost came up. One did, and I bought it.

Another path to SACD nirvana that I had contemplated at length (I even made a failed purchase attempt), was a Marantz SA series SACD player. They have very good reputations, but are essentially single-purpose devices, and I was reluctant to add yet more boxes to the main HiFi.

I have only had the 105 a short while, but the results have been very encouraging. Yes, undoubtedly there is better, as a DAC, and as a SACD player. However, it is very good, and I got an immaculate unit, which had been used primarily for its non-disc capabilities, at a very fair price. I've also added DAC inputs in my system, which is good since I'd filled all the inputs of my current DAC and have use for more. Another advantage to having a 103 or 105 is that it is now possible to extract the hi-res audio from SACDs with a fairly straight-forward process using a player of that series. If one's DAC will process DSD files, as mine does, one can now play the hi-res audio directly, using one's DAC, even if it does not provide HDMI inputs, thus bypassing the restrictions imposed on SACD playback.

There is still a relative paucity of credible reviews and commentary about the audio merits of the Oppo 205 vs the 105, but so far the 205's audio plaudits are somewhat muted. The chap that sold me his 105 has purchased a 205, primarily for audio, and while it is too early to provide a final conclusion, he was not immediately convinced it was substantially better.

As well, although my feeling is that the technical quality differences of leading DACs in the Bryston's league are narrowing, differences in character remain significant. I prefer what I perceive to be a neutral presentation - not too euphonic, not too "HiFi", but rather a good likeness of real instruments in real space. Thus, the BDA-3 remains a goal.

Since I do not foresee my moving to UHD video for some time (I'm not very video driven, relative to my music/audio mania) the 205, while intriguing, goes beyond my needs for video, and it's not clear to what degree the 205 outperforms the 105 as a DAC, I'm happy where I've ended up. The 105 is acquitting itself very well, its character suits my music system and my tastes, the 103D is doing an admirable job in the video system, and the upgraded 103 will end up in the (home) office setup.

For substantially less cost than a 205, I've added high quality multi-format playback in two systems, and the Kanex will migrate to the video system, giving enhanced SACD playback there. The key is if you want to go down the UHD video rabbit hole (yet). The 105 is an extremely well-regarded unit, with much to offer, if you don't need the newer video capabilities.

Some operational notes... In my Oppos, you have the option of setting DSD or PCM output for SACDs. That has an modest impact on what you hear from the analogue outputs (I prefer the direct DSD conversion so far) and it also affects the digital output on HDMI. If you choose SACD-->PCM, HDMI is 88k2; if you choose DSD, the limitations imposed by Sony cause the Oppo to output 44k1. Both are sourced from the SACD hi-res layer or CD layer, depending on your choice of setup options in the Oppo (you have the option of choosing which layer to play with hybrid discs.) Decimation of the 1-bit hi-res digital bitstream, to 88k2 or 176k4, is a mathematically straight-forward process and in theory should not be too detrimental, but as with all things audio, the devil's in the details. Then it's on to the DAC (internal or external) to do the conversion to analogue, with whatever effect that has.

The BDA-3 offers the option of upsampling 44k1 material to 176k4, or 48k to 192k. That's an entirely different process, and should be evaluated based on the end result, comparing the original vs the upsampled output, with your own music. Some manufacturers don't give you the option of choosing, and I appreciate Bryston leaving it to us to decide for ourselves.

The Oppos all have two HDMI outputs, in the 203/5 one is for video, and the other just for audio, so if needed the video can be routed to your UHD video playback chain, and the audio to the the BDA3 or another audio processor. The 103/5 offer the same split audio/video mode, but both outputs will do video, albeit with different video processing. If you care about multi-channel audio (i.e. surround - more than two, up to 11.2!), it'd need to be handled by a system capable of that. With the recent introduction of UHD players, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos etc., equipment that can handle all the new audio & video capabilities is not common, and there are still many wrinkles to be worked out. I don't envy Bryston and other quality manufacturers trying to keep up in the audio-for-video processing space without compromising quality.

In the end, while we all strive for the best performance from our systems, we shouldn't lose sight of why we are doing this. It's to enjoy the benefits of great music, and if the end result is a compelling and enriching experience that enhances our lives, it doesn't matter how you get there. Playing music is the only meaningful way to assess the impact of any piece of equipment in our systems. Obsessing about the minutiae has its rewards, and its costs, but it's the music that counts.

Back to Bach...  ;)

Regards,

Syncytial.

BSC

« Reply #809 on: 7 Aug 2017, 11:21 am »
In reply to Syncytial.

I have the BDA-3 which I use with an Oppo 105. The BDA-3 on all formats is well above the performance level of the 105 and I say that knowing how good the 105 is for music replay. My system is pretty high end stereo only. My amp is a Gryphon Atilla and Zingali Twenty Evo 1.2 speakers.

To be clear on processing SACD via HDMI it may be the area where the Bryston excels the most it's clear from the colour of the light when locked how the processing is taking place-Bryston are on record by saying the method used in their opinion has no effect on the stereo reproduction.

The Brtyston/Oppo combo for me offers superb versatility in the way you can play all the formats the Oppo can but at an improved level.

One interesting area is that the new Oppo 205 claims to have improved jitter reduction on it's music HDMI interface-as of yet I have not see a single person who has the combo so whether this has any impact is up for debate but it is very tempting.

Syncytial

« Reply #810 on: 7 Aug 2017, 02:35 pm »
In reply to Syncytial.

I have the BDA-3 which I use with an Oppo 105. The BDA-3 on all formats is well above the performance level of the 105 and I say that knowing how good the 105 is for music replay. My system is pretty high end stereo only. My amp is a Gryphon Atilla and Zingali Twenty Evo 1.2 speakers.

To be clear on processing SACD via HDMI it may be the area where the Bryston excels the most it's clear from the colour of the light when locked how the processing is taking place-Bryston are on record by saying the method used in their opinion has no effect on the stereo reproduction.

The Brtyston/Oppo combo for me offers superb versatility in the way you can play all the formats the Oppo can but at an improved level.

One interesting area is that the new Oppo 205 claims to have improved jitter reduction on it's music HDMI interface-as of yet I have not see a single person who has the combo so whether this has any impact is up for debate but it is very tempting.

Thanks! The performance of the BDA-3 relative to the 105 is as expected, but it's good to get confirmation, especially about the SACD decoding.

A couple of questions...

1/  Do you use HDMI for all the digital audio from the 105 to the BDA-3, or do you prefer SPDIF for the non-SACD sources?

2/  Are you using the analogue outputs from the 105 at all (e.g. for surround)? If you're not using the analogue outputs, then a 103 should offer the same performance when coupled with the BDA-3.

I hope that we'll see reports of the 205's audio capabilities that will help define how it stacks up as a DAC, and the jitter reduction on HDMI 2 is interesting, but it's impact is likely to be very dependent upon the DAC used with it. HDMI is a very imperfect interface/specification and I doubt we'd use it for audio except for its ease of implementation with video, or with SACD due to the inability to carry DSD over SPDIF or AES.

The BDA-3 offers a lot... inputs in all the relevant formats (physical and digital), very good display of signal characteristics, exceptional sound, and Bryston's renowned support. In a two-channel setup, especially where SACD is important, it's hard to beat.

Syncytial.

gbaby

« Reply #811 on: 7 Aug 2017, 02:53 pm »
I owned an Oppo (95) for a little less than 30 days as I returned it. I thought it was a very well constructed blu-ray player and loved it operationally. However, I did not like the sound of its D/A converter. In my opinion, the Oppo is overkill price wise, and an inexpensive Sony player is a better buy because it samples DSD through HDMI at PCM 176.4 and cost a lot less. I can buy 2 Sony's for what I pay for one lower priced Oppo. With my SP-3, I would have no use for a players' D/A converter.

BSC

« Reply #812 on: 7 Aug 2017, 06:30 pm »
I owned an Oppo (95) for a little less than 30 days as I returned it. I thought it was a very well constructed blu-ray player and loved it operationally. However, I did not like the sound of its D/A converter. In my opinion, the Oppo is overkill price wise, and an inexpensive Sony player is a better buy because it samples DSD through HDMI at PCM 176.4 and cost a lot less. I can buy 2 Sony's for what I pay for one lower priced Oppo. With my SP-3, I would have no use for a players' D/A converter.

I use SPDF for non-SACD or Blu Ray Audio discs. I spent a fair bit of time making sure the set up was correct/optimised. I think you don't have the Upsample option via HDMI plus HDMI via the Oppo does produce the odd pop-it's described in the new TAS review out this month so for a variety of reasons I use SPDIF for any CD or non DSD file playback.

No I don't use any other aspect of the Oppo other than as a transport these days but for a long time it was my source only in previous systems.

BSC

« Reply #813 on: 7 Aug 2017, 06:43 pm »
I use SPDF for non-SACD or Blu Ray Audio discs. I spent a fair bit of time making sure the set up was correct/optimised. I think you don't have the Upsample option via HDMI plus HDMI via the Oppo does produce the odd pop-it's described in the new TAS review out this month so for a variety of reasons I use SPDIF for any CD or non DSD file playback.

No I don't use any other aspect of the Oppo other than as a transport these days but for a long time it was my source only in previous systems.

The 105 from what I gather was a good step up from the 95 in terms of stereo replay. I used my 105 to replace an Ayre CX-7. I had for a while an Esoteric X-03SE in my system as well which shaded the Oppo but I missed the versatility of the Oppo-CD/DVDA/SACD/HDCD and file playback.

I also read years ago one of the world class system owners on Audiogon tried one  in his system and thought it held up way beyond his expectations.

Of course everything is personal and system dependent -Oppo isn't the only option but I lost count of the times dealers would groan when I told them I had a 105 because they said it was very difficult to beat without spending mega bucks.

I also think as you build your system as well the rest of your components need to be up to the task of showing the difference in source components and indeed on discs themselves. I have found this to be true for me and others but again there are no universal answers in this game.

BSC

« Reply #814 on: 7 Aug 2017, 06:44 pm »
There is a very positive review for the BDA-3 in the new issue of The Absolute Sound just out.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #815 on: 7 Aug 2017, 06:49 pm »
There is a very positive review for the BDA-3 in the new issue of The Absolute Sound just out.

Hi

Thanks, I have not seen it yet but I heard it was very good.  :thumb:

James

Syncytial

« Reply #816 on: 7 Aug 2017, 07:54 pm »

Given you're using an SP-3, it may well be that it outshines the Oppo - in fact I'd think it quite likely.

Conveniently, I happen to have an inexpensive Sony Blu-ray, and yes, it does sample at 176k4 and cost a lot less than an Oppo. I tried it against the 105's analogue outs, and the 105 was clearly better, in my system. All the more reason for me to look forward to adding the BDA-3.  ;)  (BTW, the Oppo I use for video was a dramatic improvement vs the Sony, which it replaced.)

<snip>

Of course everything is personal and system dependent -Oppo isn't the only option but I lost count of the times dealers would groan when I told them I had a 105 because they said it was very difficult to beat without spending mega bucks.

I also think as you build your system as well the rest of your components need to be up to the task of showing the difference in source components and indeed on discs themselves. I have found this to be true for me and others but again there are no universal answers in this game.

Using SPDIF from the Oppo makes a lot of sense to me, and you're right, the upsample doesn't affect HDMI or USB signals, according to the manual. I'd also be using AES and USB.

I'll be very curious to see the TAS review, although I'm not a slave to reviews. Pops via HDMI are a bit disquieting... but perhaps an update to the Oppo or BDA-3 will address that.

Your other comments about system dependence and subjective assessment are spot on.  :)

Syncytial.

R. Daneel

« Reply #817 on: 8 Aug 2017, 01:21 pm »
Given you're using an SP-3, it may well be that it outshines the Oppo - in fact I'd think it quite likely.

Conveniently, I happen to have an inexpensive Sony Blu-ray, and yes, it does sample at 176k4 and cost a lot less than an Oppo. I tried it against the 105's analogue outs, and the 105 was clearly better, in my system. All the more reason for me to look forward to adding the BDA-3.  ;)  (BTW, the Oppo I use for video was a dramatic improvement vs the Sony, which it replaced.)

Using SPDIF from the Oppo makes a lot of sense to me, and you're right, the upsample doesn't affect HDMI or USB signals, according to the manual. I'd also be using AES and USB.

I'll be very curious to see the TAS review, although I'm not a slave to reviews. Pops via HDMI are a bit disquieting... but perhaps an update to the Oppo or BDA-3 will address that.

Your other comments about system dependence and subjective assessment are spot on.  :)

Syncytial.

Hi!

Do you mean to say the Oppo's analog output sounds better than the Sony's analog output?

Cheers!
Antun

gbaby

« Reply #818 on: 8 Aug 2017, 02:16 pm »

Conveniently, I happen to have an inexpensive Sony Blu-ray, and yes, it does sample at 176k4 and cost a lot less than an Oppo. I tried it against the 105's analogue outs, and the 105 was clearly better, in my system
Syncytial.

I am sure the Oppo's D/A converter sounds better than an inexpensive Sony blu-ray player in any system.  :lol:

BSC

« Reply #819 on: 8 Aug 2017, 02:55 pm »

Syncytial.

The pops have been reduced quite a bit by having the latest firmware on the Bryston.

The issue is at the Oppo end and they aren't interested in addressing it. It comes from the other HDMI port and I think because I have a Sony Android TV the HDMI signal is always checking and dropping-this causes sometimes a delay in the audio HDMI port. How do I know? Because when I unplug the HDMI to my TV there is never an issue.  It also does the strange thing if you put it onto Pure Audio on the Oppo-which cuts out all video circuitry-and puts the display off-the interface between my Sony TV/Oppo will actually put it back on again itself and eventually cause a pop. My previous Sony TV never did this so there is something about how the Oppo and my TV talk to each other. It's not a big issue now since I know how to solve it.

I sometimes hook up my good lady's Macbook to the Bryston to play MQA via Tidal as well.