About to Take the Omega Super 8 Plunge and Wondering About System Synergy

4Musica

I have heard the Max Hemps and am absolutely convinced that an Omega speaker is the right choice for me.  But I am concerned about system synergy; I built this system to optimize my Verity Taminos and now only want to change the speakers.  My system consists of a Leben RS-28CX preamp, Accuphase P-3000 amp, Nirvana speaker cable, Aud 23 interconnects.  Sources are a Basis 2500 TT, Rega Saturn CDP, and Uher EG 750 AM/FM Tuner.  I listen mostly to classical, jazz, blues, and vocals, 80 percent with vinyl and 20 percent with digital sources.  If anyone has any thoughts about how compatible my current electronics and cables are to the Omega Super 8's, I would appreciate your comments.  I am not able to audition the Super 8's and so will be purchasing speakers for the first time without auditioning the actual model I will be buying.  Thanks in advance.

BTW - I am a new member as of about 15 minutes ago and this is my first post.  Sure hope I have blended in with AudioCircle forum requirements!

Alwayswantmore

I have heard the Max Hemps and am absolutely convinced that an Omega speaker is the right choice for me.  But I am concerned about system synergy; I built this system to optimize my Verity Taminos and now only want to change the speakers.  My system consists of a Leben RS-28CX preamp, Accuphase P-3000 amp, Nirvana speaker cable, Aud 23 interconnects.  Sources are a Basis 2500 TT, Rega Saturn CDP, and Uher EG 750 AM/FM Tuner.  I listen mostly to classical, jazz, blues, and vocals, 80 percent with vinyl and 20 percent with digital sources.  If anyone has any thoughts about how compatible my current electronics and cables are to the Omega Super 8's, I would appreciate your comments.  I am not able to audition the Super 8's and so will be purchasing speakers for the first time without auditioning the actual model I will be buying.  Thanks in advance.

BTW - I am a new member as of about 15 minutes ago and this is my first post.  Sure hope I have blended in with AudioCircle forum requirements!
Welcome to AC. Omega speakers represent an easy load for any amp. No crossover mucking with signals.

Looks like a nice preamp.

Your amp has a stepped gain control, so you can drop the wattage by 3 -6 db for the Omegas and probably do fine. FYI: Each 3 db cuts the power by 50%. Omega’s are very revealing, so over time you may have the urge to experiment with moderate powered amps known for their musicality.

Louis also has a generous return policy, but consider that insurance, because you probably won’t need it. If in doubt, call Louis. Great guy to talk to, and is always helpful on the telephone.

Good luck, Kent

PS. I’m on my second set of Omegas. Currently running Super 6 Monitors and a single Deep Hemp. Unbelievably good sound and great build quality, especially considering the price.

rodge827

Hi 4Musica,
Welcome to the board :D.
Your system will be fine with the Super 8's. :thumb:
I never played any vinyl through mine.  :(
Wish I had :eyebrows:
Your gonna like it here. 8)
Chris

4Musica

Thanks to Alwayswantsmore (What a great handle for our hobby!) and rodge827 for your comments.  I am of course hoping that this will work out well, partly because I am in the doghouse a bit WRT my wife as she LOVES the current speakers (Verity Taminos) and does not want me to make this change.  I realize that a lower powered tube amp would be ideal, but I want to give the Accuphase's stepped gain control a chance to maximize the magic this amp offers.  The "magic" I refer to is its ability (to my ears, anyway) to provide all of the advantages of SS while also providing a sonic signature that in some respects is very "tubelike".  But if I were to go in the direction of a lower powered tube amp down the road, does anyone have any specific recommendations that I should be thinking about?

I am really excited about making this speaker change.  All that is left to do is pick a wood finish, place the order, and pay for them.  I have the Bach Cello Suites (on vinyl, of course, and performed by Janos Starker) in the ready position as the first thing I will listen to when the speakers finally arrive!

That leads to another question.  Can anyone give me some idea of how long these speakers take to be fully broken in?

Alwayswantmore

Thanks to Alwayswantsmore (What a great handle for our hobby!) and rodge827 for your comments.  I am of course hoping that this will work out well, partly because I am in the doghouse a bit WRT my wife as she LOVES the current speakers (Verity Taminos) and does not want me to make this change.  I realize that a lower powered tube amp would be ideal, but I want to give the Accuphase's stepped gain control a chance to maximize the magic this amp offers.  The "magic" I refer to is its ability (to my ears, anyway) to provide all of the advantages of SS while also providing a sonic signature that in some respects is very "tubelike".  But if I were to go in the direction of a lower powered tube amp down the road, does anyone have any specific recommendations that I should be thinking about?

I am really excited about making this speaker change.  All that is left to do is pick a wood finish, place the order, and pay for them.  I have the Bach Cello Suites (on vinyl, of course, and performed by Janos Starker) in the ready position as the first thing I will listen to when the speakers finally arrive!

That leads to another question.  Can anyone give me some idea of how long these speakers take to be fully broken in?
Amp choices are vast. And budget is a consideration. Again, Louis is a good starting point.

Many of us have Red Wine Audio battery-powered amps (can be configured as integrated or straight amp). Dead quite, great dynamics unbeatable bass. With my tube-based preamp (again RWA), I find tone, timbre, images and soundstage all great.

In general tube amps will have a hard time keeping up with the bass quality and dynamics you get  from RWA battery powered gear. But some may still prefer well designed tube amps for a variety of reasons.

Others here may have recommendations based on thier experiences.

ZLS

Your wife is going to think you're a genius (or that at least you have a brain in your head) when she see and listen to the Omegas.  They are second to none in terms of their physical beauty. 
    In terms of break in, figure on 200 hours.  They will just keep sounding better and better. 

Hank Murrow

Regarding tube amps.... I have found that topology really makes a difference in the bass you can get from them. I have been impressed with the Bottlehead Kits, all of which which use parallel feed to separate the functions of amplification and power supply, using chokes to load the tubes and OTs designed only to carry the signal. I have heard several of their amps driving Omegas and never heard a lack of bass vs transistors. Quick deep bass AND the huge sound stage that Omegas can deliver, along with being very quiet due to the isolation of the power supply.

There may be a BH owner near you for a trial audition with your speakers. Check out their Forum.

rodge827

4Musica look into Audio Note Kits.

There are many types and Brian is a great guy to chat with and may be able to have the kit built for you.

I have listened to the Kit 1 and the Innterstage Mono's  :thumb:.

Chris

http://www.audionotekits.com/

Louis O

Welcome 4Musica,

Many thanks for your post and building your speakers right now.

They are looking mighty good.

As always great posts everyone and many thanks.
I can add this amp. I haven't heard it, but looks very interesting. Price is great too and built on the west coast. If anyone has heard this, please let me know.

http://www.wrightaudio.us/lolita.htm

Thanks,
Louis

rajacat

• Washington State
Louis,

Somewhat OT but
4.5" Alnicos???? :)

-Roy

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com

I can add this amp. I haven't heard it, but looks very interesting. Price is great too and built on the west coast. If anyone has heard this, please let me know.

http://www.wrightaudio.us/lolita.htm

Thanks,
Louis

Looks good, but this has me worried there's some cathode feedback around the output tube:

"However, the Lolita Amplifier provides lower distortion, wider frequency response and greater listening quality than other single-ended designs, even while using no overall loop circuit feedback."

My Simple SE (el34 / kt88 SET) has switchable CFB and UL/Triode mode options. It's far better on my 4.5" XRS without CFB, and in triode mode, but the CFB really dulls the sound.

Decware makes a similar amp that states it does not use any feedback:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE34I.htm

Louis O

Hi rajacat,

Thanks and I'll have more info next week. A big concern is keeping the costs down.

Hi DaveC113,

Good to know. Not to many Kt88 running single ended out there. I wpould prefer a 6L6 though.

I heard a lot of great things about the Decware.

Thanks,
Louis

4Musica

Thanks to all who responded about my questions re system synergy.  This is a great forum!

And special thanks to Louis, given the fact that he (who else?!) is building my new Omega speakers!  I am really getting anxious to receive them, Louis, but as I said to you on the phone, please take all the time you need!

All The Best,

4Musica

Louis O

Hi 4Musica,

Many thanks for your kind words and we have an amazing forum here.

Got the cases done and will be veneering next. I do have a batch of 8" alnico drivers coming in next week. You'll have the first set of this batch.

Thanks again,
Louis