What are the most detailed & transparent speaker building hook-up wires?

1HungLow

I am 1HungLow, an Audiophile and Modifier my whole life! I am in the process of modifying some speakers that I built over 50 years ago.
The midranges & tweeters finally quit and are not available any more. When I built these, all that was available was regular cheap hook-up wire.
I want to replace the wires with good quality hook-up wire that is smooth, detailed & transparent in the mids and the highs.
I am using GRS PT5010-8 10" Planars for the mids and  GRS PT6816-8 8" Planar Slim Tweeters for the highs.
So, what is the smoothest, yet most detailed & transparent sounding hook-up wire that doesn't cost an arm and 3 legs?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

1HungLow

I am 1HungLow and I posted intro & 1st post, FullRangeMan responded. How do I reply to his response or can I not do that until I've made 3 posts?
Just got out of hospital. So, they may have taken out my brains instead of what they were supposed to take out   :?

1HungLow

Thank you for the response. Do I need to use heavier gauged wire for the bass, medium for the midrange, and small gauge wire for the highs? Or does it matter that much?

1HungLow

Well, that's about right :) Right after I posted the above question, the reply button magically appeared :) lol

Phil A

Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Thank you for the response. Do I need to use heavier gauged wire for the bass, medium for the midrange, and small gauge wire for the highs? Or does it matter that much?
I prefer all the same gauge, changing the gauge changes the way the electrical signal travels, kind of awg 14, for pro-audio awg 12, I mean say hard wiring, stranded will corrode in the first winter in my experience.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
I am 1HungLow and I posted intro & 1st post, FullRangeMan responded. How do I reply to his response or can I not do that until I've made 3 posts?
Just got out of hospital. So, they may have taken out my brains instead of what they were supposed to take out   :?
I will merge this thread with the previous you just started.

SoCalWJS

Lots of variables here. Many prefer Silver. Others high purity copper. Dependant upon the rest of your system, not just the speakers.

What is the rest of your system and wiring? (Cables. Power cords, etc)

(Waiting for Tyson [and others] to chime in)

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Long time member Speedskater made a recommendation recently on a similar thread and suggested tin coated wiring.  He didn't say why, but as I thought about it I realized it's gonna be relatively hard to get back in there to switch out any corroded wiring.  So should all hookup wire in anything enclosed be coated?

Wayner

I aways try to use a single strand, not multi-stranded wire. IMO, multistrand wire smears the image. I use single strand in all the amps and preamps that I build, interconnects too.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
Long time member Speedskater made a recommendation recently on a similar thread and suggested tin coated wiring.  He didn't say why, but as I thought about it I realized it's gonna be relatively hard to get back in there to switch out any corroded wiring.  So should all hookup wire in anything enclosed be coated?
An cheap option to prevent corrosion is solid magnet wire, the varnish used is very resistant to weather over the years.

jonbee