My Granddaughter and I are at...

JCarney

My Granddaughter and I are at...
« on: 17 Jun 2022, 01:55 am »
...it again. This time we are building a pair of the 5" two way self-powered C-Sharp kit from Parts Express. Lining the box with Canapus sound deadening material. Crossover is wired and installed and this box will house the amp for both and controls. Tomorrow we will finish the dampening material, assembling the second crossover, and start the second box. We will attach both fronts at the same time after the boxes are finished. Her soldering is getting much better, but I have to consistently remind her that she needs to heat the spot before applying the solder.  :P  Her skill with a tape measure is impressive, she reads out numbers like a pro.  :lol: There will be fewer pics this time, but I will update after any progress.

Thanks for looking,
JCarney

PS
This kit is good, but the flat pack leaves a little something to be desired. The desktop Mini from GR had a much better flat pack.

richidoo

Re: My Granddaughter and I are at...
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2022, 03:46 am »
Lookin good!  :thumb:  You both have done a great job so far. How old is your granddaughter? Sounds like she's a pro!

Canopus is good for reducing the wood vibration but no affect on the air vibration inside the box. When it echos inside the box at wavelengths matching the inside box dimensions you get a resonances which can affect movement of the cone. That's why they add soft material inside the box to prevent the resonance getting too strong. In a ported box you need some air resonance inside the box, but that's tuned to happen only at low freq. The box is small so it will have echo resonances at midrange frequencies which is what you want to avoid. To prevent that you can just fill the box about half full of plain old polyester fluff (polyfill) from walmart or fabric crafts store or sacrifice an old pillow. The woofer and the port need to communicate at low frequency so keep the fluff from blocking their view of each other, but in the bottom and up the back and above the port is fine. It's not critical, fluff won't stop the bass from getting through. You can hold it in place with hot glue, or just stick it in there and forget about it is what I would do. I think it will sound a lot better than empty. She might have fun shopping at the craft store and putting the fluff in.
Have fun!  :green:

JCarney

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2022, 02:34 pm »
Thanks for the advice richidoo. I like the tip about not blocking the "view" of the woofer and port. Very good visual description. You are right, a trip to Michael's or someplace similar will be a popular choice.

For newcomers, it is help from people like richidoo, and the many others like him who are willing to help with tips, drawings, and generally good advice that make this such a good place to learn, get and give help. Thanks again richidoo for the advice on this project, and the drawing you provided me for the Polk Sig 15's.

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2022, 06:16 pm »
Well I finally got her back on the speaker build. We finished the box that houses the amp and controller. There was no machining of the front baffle for install. They just wanted you to line that sucker up best you could. I did no like that, so I used dowels for both alignment and strength.

JCarney

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2022, 06:54 pm »
I so enjoy these Jody.  8)

JCarney

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2022, 07:02 pm »
That makes me smile.  :D I'm glad that my little adventures with her put a smile on your face Mike. Teri was tickled to get the big hello hug from you, and she sends one back.

Jody

JCarney

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2022, 08:39 pm »
Well I finally got her back on the speakers. We sanded the assembled box and got a start on glueing the second box. Just two pics, but she is in one of them. Hopefully I can keep her on task.  :lol: Who am I trying to kid, she's 8 and has the attention span of a gnat.

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2022, 03:29 pm »
Made a little progress today, woohoo! Lined the 3 sides with dampening material and wired and installed the crossover.

JCarney

Added another pic.
We glued one of the final three pieces in place. We will dowel the baffle like we did the other one after the top is on.

« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2022, 05:11 pm by JCarney »

JCarney

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2022, 10:53 pm »
There will be a rather long delay in the build. My Granddaughter and I are on a road trip until Aug 3rd. Just her and I to do some fishing, museums, aquariums, whatever. The first pic is from the state capital building on the grand staircase. The rest are from the children's museum in Des Moines.

JCarney

Couple of pics from Des Moines on our way to my son's, her Uncle's place out side of Minneapolis.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2022, 02:03 pm »
Good on you. I had some great times with granddaughter at that age.
You might mention to her that there's some audio nerd in Idaho that expects a kiai at some point during the process!

JCarney

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2022, 02:10 pm »
Good on you. I had some great times with granddaughter at that age.
You might mention to her that there's some audio nerd in Idaho that expects a kiai at some point during the process!

:lol: :lol:

Awesome

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2022, 02:29 am »
Still out on the road with my Granddaughter. We are in Green Bay and will take a tour of the stadium tomorrow after fishing. We arrived this after noon and went straight to Lambeau Field to book the tour. Before anyone says anything, pics of proof to follow.  :lol:

JCarney

toocool4

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2022, 06:54 am »
Looks like you 2 have a great relationship and are having fun, cool.  :thumb:

JCarney

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2022, 06:39 pm »
Thanks toocool, you are correct on both counts. We have 6 days left of a full 2 week road trip. :D

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2022, 11:31 pm »
Couple of pics from Lambeau.

JCarney

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jul 2022, 10:51 am »
You are an inspiration for what kind of relationship I could have with my grandson.  I'm honestly tearing up a little seeing those pics.

JCarney

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jul 2022, 01:28 pm »
Thank You Letitroll, it makes me happy that my Granddaughter and I have touched your heart with regard to your own Grandson. I'm at a loss for words at the moment, for I am having an emotional swell as I type.

JCarney

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jul 2022, 12:26 am »
Awesome thread.
You have a real cutie there.
Continue the posts, they are the best!
 :D

JCarney

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jul 2022, 02:31 am »
Thanks Bob! I have a pic or two more I can post.  :lol:

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jul 2022, 09:44 pm »
Trip is starting to wind down, we'll be headed home on the 30th. The Museum at the Castle in Appleton, WI has a Leonardo da Vinci display we went to today. I wanted to bring her here because of the da Vinci display. I was and still am incredibly impressed by the man, and thought she might as well. I think she is.  :D   The last pic is something from each of the places we visited. I've done the same thing for every place I've taken her. Museums, zoos, aquariums, tours, I have some thing from them all. I'm pretty sure I've taken her to over a hundred places in 17 states since she was two plus years old.

JCarney