AMG DAC 2021

NC

Re: AMG DAC 2021
« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2022, 12:55 pm »
Hello !

I just bought an Amg Sta and an Alita. Superb combo with my Harbeth M30.1. :)
But... do I have to wait for the new Amg Dac with the Amg Sta, what would be the differences please ?
I prefer AKM sound than ESS for exemple.

Thanks for answer, best regards from France :)

Nicolas

rustydoglim

« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2022, 09:59 am »
We will have opportunity to compare when AMG DAC shipped in April (this time for real, after months of chips delay  :duh:)
When we start to write the manual (next week perhaps), then we will have more info.

albocan

« Reply #22 on: 29 Apr 2022, 07:38 pm »
What happened to the AMG DAC? Was he late again?

rustydoglim

« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2022, 02:14 pm »
Delayed again to sometime in May.  It has been in queue for SMD assemble, this is the part that we don't control.
In manufacturing electronics, there are many suppliers in the pipeline: aluminum chassis, aluminum anodisation, parts purchases, bare PCB, SMD assembly, board assembly, final assembly and test.  Our factory only controls the purchases and last two steps.
Once we completed SMD assembly, it will be full speed (about 2 weeks for board, final assembly and test).

rustydoglim

« Reply #24 on: 16 May 2022, 09:02 pm »
Confirmed that the final assembly will start this week at our factory where we have control over the progress. We are definitely going to ship during the last week of May.  :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #25 on: 17 May 2022, 01:22 am »
Jason,

Please share any details about this new DAC. How is it voiced - warm, neutral, analytical, etc? With or without volume control?

How does it compare to the Evo DAC?

If paired to the Evolution One dual-mono amp, how would it sound?

Michael

giordy60

« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2022, 11:07 am »
but also some specifics in general .....
chip used
sampling supported
sinad
output impedance
inputs available
etc. etc.
 :D

mresseguie

Re: AMG DAC 2021 ***Just Released!!***
« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2022, 02:44 pm »
Ooh. Looky, looky:

https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/amg-dac/?v=7516fd43adaa

$2250

The AMG DAC uses dual ESS DACs with discrete Class-A transistors for natural, detailed, and expansive sound stage sound characteristics. With five digital including IIS/DSD and one analog stereo inputs, RCA stereo and XLR balanced outputs, and decoding capability of PCM 384K, DSD256, the NuPrime AMG-DAC is a reference-class DAC designed for studio professionals and high-end audiophiles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Specifications:
Inputs:
C1: Coaxial input for CD/DVD/BD players, TV and any device with a coaxial source.
O2: Optical input for CD/DVD/BD players, TV and any device with an optical source.
U3: USB input for computer (PC/MAC) and for NAS devices.
E4: Extension port for Bluetooth or WIFI. (Optional)
A5: Stereo analog for CD/DVD/BD players, TV and any analog source device.
HE: IIS/DSD Digital input With HDMI cable to transfer IIS and DSD data from NuPrime source devices. Do not connect to the HDMI output of Set Top Box or BD / DVD player.
Note: AMG-DAC does not guarantee that all NAS devices will operate and be compatible due to
wide variety of brands and custom specs.

Outputs:
1 x Balance XLR Out
1 x Stereo RCA Out
1 x TRIGGER out
RCA unbalanced outputs: 2 Vrms
XLR balanced outputs: 4 Vrms
High Low Gain = X2
Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 KHz / ±0.3 dB
S/N ratio > 110 dB
THD+N: < 0.05%
Dimensions: (W x H x D): 235 mm x 55 mm x 300 mm
Weight: 5.5 pounds (2.5 kg)
Worldwide AC Voltage: 90VAC~130VAC / 210VAC~ 250VAC with Voltage Select Switch
AC Fuse: Slow-blow, T2.5A, 250VAC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maybe I missed it - what's the output impedence?

rustydoglim

« Reply #28 on: 25 May 2022, 06:55 pm »
There is little room for improvement to state of the art DAC chips, so what makes AMG DAC different is the extensive use of Class-A transistors to give it an analog sound.

mresseguie

« Reply #29 on: 25 May 2022, 07:00 pm »
There is little room for improvement to state of the art DAC chips, so what makes AMG DAC different is the extensive use of Class-A transistors to give it an analog sound.

Jason,

Thank you. Of the two DACs, which is more analog sounding?

Which one is right for me? [I know. There's only one way to learn this.]  :thumb:

Michael
« Last Edit: 27 May 2022, 01:48 am by mresseguie »

albocan

« Reply #30 on: 25 May 2022, 11:59 pm »
Jason: Can you explain to us if this DAC reads the MQA format?

The specifications do not say anything about it, but it is very surprising that a DAC of that price value does not say anything about it, since the DAC-9X, which is much cheaper, does read that format.

rustydoglim

« Reply #31 on: 26 May 2022, 07:27 pm »
AMG DAC does not support MQA as it required XMOS USB chip.
We want AMG DAC to have high-end analogue sound so that takes precedent over MQA.
The plan is that MQA, if needed, will be supported across all our streaming devices so users can use the future AMG Stream to decode MQA.

audio.bill

« Reply #32 on: 27 May 2022, 12:49 am »
Since the new AMG DAC is designed as a "reference-class DAC" with a high end analogue sound, wondering how its sound quality compares with the EVO DAC or other NuPrime DACs. Is it the new reference? TIA

rustydoglim

« Reply #33 on: 2 Jun 2022, 05:14 pm »
Good question, I have to check with chief engineer.  I can guess that they are the same level, just sounded different. Evo DAC is known for super detailed and neutral.  The AMG series usually have the warmer, fuller sound.

rustydoglim

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jun 2022, 06:33 pm »
The design goal for Evolution and AMG series are slightly different.  We consider both series our "flagship" series, whereas the "9" series is the giant killer.

Therefore, Evolution DAC was designed to be exceptionally detailed and neutral. AMG DAC is still incredibly detailed but adhere to the AMG series sound characteristic (fuller/warmer, analog). This is the result of design and component choice (not inferior parts but parts that tend to have the desire sound characteristic). Evolution DAC cost more because to achieve its design goal, the power supply and noise isolation would have to be superb. Furthermore, Evo series come with expensive chassis and connectors.

mresseguie

« Reply #35 on: 7 Jun 2022, 04:30 pm »
Jason,

Thank you for the clarification. I have another question.

I am a very happy owner of an EVO STA. It's both warm and revealing - just marvelous sounding in my main system. Could the AMG DAC + EVO STA combination be too warm? Has your engineer listened to this combination?

Thank you.

Michael

Larsf333

« Reply #36 on: 7 Jun 2022, 09:34 pm »
Michael,
As I have not heard the new amg dac, I cannot exactly answer your question.
However, I can tell about experiences with my setup.
A year ago I bought amg pra and amg sta, and later evo dac and stream-9.
It played very well, but as I had read many reviews of the evo one, I decided to try them out.
At the same time, the new evo sta came out, so I borrowed one as well, and was able to compare the 3 amplifiers.
Conclusion of the test ended in favor of the evo sta.

And I find it works really well with  the evo dac, neutral, and very realistic way to play music, for the first time ever, I felt that digital music sounded right and real. As I have a lot of lp’s, I needed to keep the amg pra.
But as the digital music now sounds so good, and streaming with qobuz offers that much music, it is not often the grammophone is used.

Good luck with your decisions.
Lars

mresseguie

« Reply #37 on: 8 Jun 2022, 05:45 am »
Michael,
As I have not heard the new amg dac, I cannot exactly answer your question.
However, I can tell about experiences with my setup.
A year ago I bought amg pra and amg sta, and later evo dac and stream-9.
It played very well, but as I had read many reviews of the evo one, I decided to try them out.
At the same time, the new evo sta came out, so I borrowed one as well, and was able to compare the 3 amplifiers.
Conclusion of the test ended in favor of the evo sta.

And I find it works really well with  the evo dac, neutral, and very realistic way to play music, for the first time ever, I felt that digital music sounded right and real. As I have a lot of lp’s, I needed to keep the amg pra.
But as the digital music now sounds so good, and streaming with qobuz offers that much music, it is not often the grammophone is used.

Good luck with your decisions.
Lars

Lars,

Valuable input! Thank you:thumb:

I've been bouncing around trying to decide between three DACs for a while now- the AMG DAC (because it's so new), the EVO DAC, and another brand's DAC. I think it's time for me to stop worrying about details, and take the plunge.

Fortunately for me, I own precious few albums (35, I think), so I'm not overly concerned about being able to connect a TT to this system.

Time to send John Casler another email. Oh, John.... :icon_lol:

orfeo_monteverdi

• Demanding music lover and audiophile
« Reply #38 on: 11 Aug 2022, 02:04 pm »
Dear NuPrime team,
[please forgive my poor English]

I own an AMG-PRA & AMG-STA combo.

QUESTION regarding AMG-DAC & AMG-PRA:
1. does it make sense to "concatenate" them? (as each one has its own volume control !).
2. with the AMG-DAC, does its volume control plays the role of a genuine preamplifier, or is it merely a DAC with variable output level? (if those two things are indeed NOT quite the same, which I am not sure)
3. Alternatively, I could use the AMG-DAC in another system (with an Aries Cerat tube high-end preamp + YBA Signature Classic power amp), where the volume on 1 already generates an output level which is already a bit high if I want to listen late at night (neighbors).

CONTEXT
I presently use an integrated (vintage, high-end) CD player: YBA CD 1 double power supply. In terms of "liquidity", naturalness, fluidity, extreme variety of the treble (which is by no mean emphasized), the results are very high.
I have no CD drive, no DAC.
The AMG-DAC intrigues me. Very much.

AMG-DAC
I see it has a voume control. The chip which controls the volume is a Muse 72320.
- Does it uses the "amplification part" of that chip, or only the "attenuation part" of it? (as Pass Labs does, in his X30 preamplifier).
- does it make sense to use AMG-DAC + AMG-PRA in a row: the signal would pass through not one, but TWO volume control, right?
- is there a way to bypass the volume control of the AMG-DAC?
- should I consider another, specific, DAC without any volume control (I a m looking for maximising the quality, with as few compromise as possible).

Generally speaking, the NuPrime website does not let prospect understand clearly the various use cases that can be considered with the AMG-DAC, in relation with the AMG-PRA. It is a bit confusing.

Thanks for you help.

Kind regards from Brussel.

rustydoglim

« Reply #39 on: 11 Aug 2022, 04:21 pm »
Read this FAQ about high-end DAC and volume control: https://nuprimeaudio.com/ufaqs/what-kind-of-volume-control-and-preamp-do-you-use-for-your-dac/
1. does it make sense to "concatenate" them? (as each one has its own volume control !).
It is fine if you stack the DAC and preamp. The volume control has memory on each input so you can fix one (start with 0db) and adjust the other.
Keep in mind that if your source is digital, you are not using the analog volume control. When you fix the volume, it is almost like a switch, with no performance degradation.
2. with the AMG-DAC, does its volume control plays the role of a genuine preamplifier, or is it merely a DAC with variable output level? (if those two things are indeed NOT quite the same, which I am not sure)
AMG-DAC volume control can play the role of a genuine preamp.

I think you can try to compare the integrated CD player versus CD play's digital output going to  AMG DAC.

In many volume control designs, a variable resistance volume pot is used, therefore we have the need to "bypass volume control". The concept of "bypassing volume control" is outdated, as explained in the FAQ. The preamp in a high-end DAC should perform like a switch if the input source is digital.  Even if the input source is analog, it should act almost like a switch.