Obsessing Power Cords

MichaelHiFi

Obsessing Power Cords
« on: 14 Feb 2021, 05:43 pm »
I literally own about 30 power cords. It happens when one has been at this hobby for 55 years (although didn't discover "cables" until 1995). And what's funny about that is the reply I received from CableCo that I need to have one brand of cable because my system is so disjointed concerning power cables. Some of my cables are DIY such as VH-Audio brand, some Acrolink, some Furutech and then there's Hi Diamond, PS Audio Black Mamba's, you get the picture.

I'm doing a system overall.  Just received a Kinki Studio M1+. On top of that I ordered a Holo May KTE DAC. I wish to have top quality cables for those 2 components, not that the Hi Diamonds aren't top shelf, just needed for other equipment duties. I have 2 systems and 3 if you count my Home Theatre.

I've been obsessive reviewing countless reviews on power cords. I was and still am interested in the LessLoss C-Marc cable. My high-end dollar mark is <$1500ea.

Now it seems the industry has branched into digital and high current cables. So my journey had led me to look at Triode Labs cables.

It seems to me like LessLoss, great value can be had here.

I'm thinking about 2 cables here, the American digital for my DAC and the Obsession for my Kinki.

Choices  :scratch: LessLoss for either the May or the Kinki and a Obsession for either and swap/compare or 2 TWL's. I know I'm in a biased forum but thought I'd throw it out there  :thumb:

FWIW my obsession's led me to run a dedicated circuit cryo'd 10awg romex to a Furutech GTX-D NCF(R) treated with Nano fluid.

twitch54

Re: Obsessing Power Cords
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2021, 05:59 pm »
Wow, I've been on the planet 67 years and don't own that much underwear !    :green:

RPM123

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2021, 06:47 pm »
Make sure that your components are fully broken-in before trying different cables, then order from both manufacturers, make the comparison and keep the one(s) you like best. Both companies offer a 30-day return policy. BTW- I am a very happy owner of the TWL Digital for my Modwright Oppo 205 player and a TWL Obsession on my Sugden FBA-800 amp. Happy listening!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2021, 08:08 pm »
Wow, I've been on the planet 67 years and don't own that much underwear !    :green:

Yeah, I should sell some of my crap and buy underwear  :scratch:

Markwatkiss

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2021, 11:56 pm »
You may also want to give some thought to therapy.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2021, 12:04 am »
Yeah, I should sell some of my crap and buy underwear  :scratch:

Just don’t crap in your underwear.  :lol:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2021, 12:31 am »
You may also want to give some thought to therapy.

Don't need to, my wife IS a therapist.  :nono:

And all those cables are employed on some device.
Now there lies the sickness.

Good thing buying motorcycles isn't my hobby...  :icon_lol:

Craig B

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2021, 12:14 pm »
I've been in the hobby for 50 years and I have two aftermarket cords, period. And the only reason I have them is they were thrown in on a deal on another piece of equipment I bought. It's not that I'm a cable denier, but I've never heard one whose effect wasn't subtle at best. The biggest issue for me is I just have so many pieces of equipment in active use that it would cost me a fortune to upgrade all their power cords. I'd need 10 all told, and I don't have an extra $2k-$10k sitting around. :wink:

dpatters

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2021, 12:52 pm »
I own Kinki Studio EX-B7 mono amps and Kinki EX-P7 preamp. I use TWL HP Digital American on amps and TWL Silver Statement on pre. I also use TWL HP Digital American on my Jay’s Audio DAC 2 Signature. Couldn’t be more satisfied.

Don P

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2021, 03:45 pm »
I've been in the hobby for 50 years and I have two aftermarket cords, period. And the only reason I have them is they were thrown in on a deal on another piece of equipment I bought. It's not that I'm a cable denier, but I've never heard one whose effect wasn't subtle at best. The biggest issue for me is I just have so many pieces of equipment in active use that it would cost me a fortune to upgrade all their power cords. I'd need 10 all told, and I don't have an extra $2k-$10k sitting around. :wink:

I here you. That's why I have so many DIYers. And that's is why I had to laugh at the email reply from a vender telling me my problem was that I have too many different types cables and my system is disjointed. I should buy all one brand of cable. Sure, I'll write that $60K dollar check today. :roll:

So rather than do that, I spent $450,000 on an upgrade. Can't wait!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2021, 03:50 pm »
I own Kinki Studio EX-B7 mono amps and Kinki EX-P7 preamp. I use TWL HP Digital American on amps and TWL Silver Statement on pre. I also use TWL HP Digital American on my Jay’s Audio DAC 2 Signature. Couldn’t be more satisfied.

Don P

Thanks Don. Very helpful information. I think I'll check-in with Triode Labs. Maybe they have a Presidents Day sale  :)

I had initially ordered a M1+ but changed my mind and decided to get the P7 and the M7. But communication was not good. Kinki thought I didn't need that much power (and I probably don't) and sent me the M1+. It was kind of weird, a company that insisted I didn't buy their more expensive product.  :scratch:

dpatters

« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2021, 05:33 pm »
I think that was a good recommendation. The M1+ is highly reviewed. I wouldn’t go to separates unless you are going with the mono block amps. My experiences with both Kinki and Jays Audio have been excellent. Shipping times are quick and packaging is pretty much FedEx proof.

Pete at TWL is one of the best people in the business. Always responsive.

Don P

SET Man

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2021, 04:24 am »
Hey!

30 power cords? Wow! Nano fluid? I find it weird seeing "fluid" and power cable together :icon_lol:

Well, Triode Wire Labs have 30 day trial period so I can't see why not give Pete a call?

Buddy

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2021, 04:38 pm »
Wait, do you have 30 power cords employed in one system?  :bowdown:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2021, 02:36 am »
Wait, do you have 30 power cords employed in one system?  :bowdown:

I apologize, I actually counted the number of cables I have in use. Only 26. Do I count power conditions? Then it's 30.

Let me explain. I have a home theatre system that is married to my 2 channel system. They are getting a divorce when I move into or new home. They were always at each others ass anyway. "My cable, my PC!" No, its mine, I had it first!". "But you're not as important as me, I'm 2 channel audio", "oh ya, I have 5 channels to take care of, you just sit on your..."

Sorry, got carried away.  Really sucks having an audio marriage. I'm always wif er, cable swapping.

I have 3 systems. If you've been at something for as long as I have, it happens. Hey, anyone want to buy a miniDSP and a pair or built Linkwitz speakers, it's the.. thing, the thing.  :duh:

I digress.

Ordered an Obsession PC and a Lossless C-Marc with the Entropic Process option!

Made sense to get the obsession because I am and the fact that I will plug into a Furutech GTX-D ncf outlet. Try remembering that! I'll post impressions - maybe.

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2021, 03:53 pm »
Michael, have you thought about therapy ?    :wink: