SAM Wide Baffle?

MPSchenck

SAM Wide Baffle?
« on: 2 Feb 2021, 01:27 pm »
I'm just wondering if anyone has or is aware of a SAM wide baffle version? Has it been made or is it possibe? I scrolled though Intagram and tried searching for it here but didn't find anything concrete. I've got room on my desk for CAMs or SAMs in a wide baffle configuration.

I was going to order CAMs front ported and put them up on IsoAcoustics Aperta 300 stands to get the driver up to ear height, but SAMs in wide baffle would eliminate the need for the stands. If the SAMs can't be built in a wide baffle version they would be too deep. I'd still get them front ported.   

Second part of the question is for SAM owners: on the standard SAM (20" tall) what is the measurement from the top of the cabinet to the center of the driver? I've estimated it at 5"-5.5" but would like to be more exact than that.   

zmaggio

Re: SAM Wide Baffle?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2021, 04:58 pm »
Definitely possible (anything is possible if you talk to Louis!)

I have a pair of Customshop SAM XRS in a wide baffle.  They sound amazing.

Kalali

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2021, 02:05 pm »
The distance from the top of the cabinet to the center of the driver is 5". Mine is an older version so it's probably best to contact Louis to get the measurements for the new version which I believe is now mounted a little lower in the cabinet.

MPSchenck

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2021, 03:51 pm »
Thank you!

I did email Louis my intial thoughts on front ported CAMs a couple weeks ago. As I continue to build my desk up I've realized I could fix a set of wide baffle SAMs (still front ported) on here.
He suggested I call him. I've been holding off calling and bothering him until I can say "Biuld'em!" which will be early/mid-March.

I did have some thoughts in the email about veneers and finishes. He basically said he could do what ever I wanted. I'm thinking about something kind of fruity like the blue on figured maple except in red for the front/back and Brazilan ironwood sides/top. Or a more stately rosewood burl front/back with dark sides/top. 

Blue maple (except Red)...

Brazilian Ironwood...

Although I would also like this combo.
Rosewood Burl front/back...

Unknown sides/top...

What are some of your favorite finishes?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2021, 06:25 pm »
Although I would also like this combo.
Rosewood Burl front/back...

What are some of your favorite finishes?
On photos the Blue vaneer are nicer but seening the real thing in loco the Rosewood above are the best to eye and to the long run.

tranchautuan

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2021, 03:56 am »

mine is a wide baffle SAM, they are a bit high (60cm) to put directly on working desk.

MPSchenck

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2021, 10:27 am »

mine is a wide baffle SAM, they are a bit high (60cm) to put directly on working desk.

Ok, first thanks for posting that pic. Second, that kinda scares me a bit.

What is the height width and depth of those? Cause they look ENORMOUS! based on Omegas  site wide baffle SAMs would be something like 20"H x 14"W x 11"D

Non-Omega warning, but this what I'm working with...

That's a 50" screen and those are Kef Q100s sitting on Soundrise Pro 9" stands. Total height 20.25" and they are 10.25" deep and there is 15.25" from edge of the monitor to the edge of the desk.

tranchautuan

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2021, 03:24 pm »
Hi MPSchenck, those are 24" height x 14" width x 9" depth. they sit behind the desk so easier to create a equal triangle to seat position.
They sit on 4" low profile ISO200, after that, a 20" height DIY speaker stand  make of solid steel, so they're separate from my flimsy desk.
Monitor is 27" so it look relative small compare to them speaker. . distance from bass port to front wall around 20".
Since they sit close to side wall, I still suffer from uneven volume.

MPSchenck

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2021, 01:13 am »
Hi MPSchenck, those are 24" height x 14" width x 9" depth. they sit behind the desk so easier to create a equal triangle to seat position.
They sit on 4" low profile ISO200, after that, a 20" height DIY speaker stand  make of solid steel, so they're separate from my flimsy desk.
Monitor is 27" so it look relative small compare to them speaker. . distance from bass port to front wall around 20".
Since they sit close to side wall, I still suffer from uneven volume.

Thanks for the measurements.

I gotta ask, is that a Chord DAVE?

tranchautuan

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2021, 04:07 pm »
yes, it is. I'm in the "Chord dac- direct drive-high efficiency speakers" camp.