Omega based systems at $1500 and $3000 price points. Your input wanted

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Thanks for that Jeff,

Nice system you've put together, and yes, if a person does their homework like you have, $1500 can buy a lot of performance.

Currently, I have a system in a similar category set up with:

Firestone Big Joe V1.3: $200 new.
Pure i20 digital in 24/192 (hardware upsampled) iPod dock with remote: $100 new.
6 Gen 16 gig iPod Nano: $200 new (my favorite Nano).
Super 3U: $800 new for level 1 finish (mine are more with level 2 finish).

Total: $1300 USD
Add affordable stands, interconnects, and speaker wire and this system would flesh out at around $1500.

One thing I love about this system other than the incredible sound is the convenience: flip the switch on my Tripp Lite Iso Bar 6, choose the album/song, turn up the volume, and listen.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  Nice offer.

charles

sugbob21

my Fleawatt has the green board with numerous upgrades. I enjoy it immensely and as I mentioned don't miss my other amps. It has surprisingly detailed bass , instrument separation. I wouldn't mind having Derek build me another custom one with the blue board. 

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Thanks for that Jeff,

Nice system you've put together, and yes, if a person does their homework like you have, $1500 can buy a lot of performance.

Currently, I have a system in a similar category set up with:

Firestone Big Joe V1.3: $200 new.
Pure i20 digital in 24/192 (hardware upsampled) iPod dock with remote: $100 new.
6 Gen 16 gig iPod Nano: $200 new (my favorite Nano).
Super 3U: $800 new for level 1 finish (mine are more with level 2 finish).

Total: $1300 USD
Add affordable stands, interconnects, and speaker wire and this system would flesh out at around $1500.

One thing I love about this system other than the incredible sound is the convenience: flip the switch on my Tripp Lite Iso Bar 6, choose the album/song, turn up the volume, and listen.

Yeah, after a lot more critical listening, I am pretty happy with this little TPA 3116, especially for the price. And like I have said, this is in a modest set up. My PS3 streaming Spotify Premium through it's analog outs, to some Klipsch RF-15's. No Dac and no Denon CD player right now.  Once I get my new Omega's with the Schiit Uber Modi 2 next month, I am sure it is going to be an entirely different ball game. Heck an entirely different sport! LOL  :D

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
my Fleawatt has the green board with numerous upgrades. I enjoy it immensely and as I mentioned don't miss my other amps. It has surprisingly detailed bass , instrument separation. I wouldn't mind having Derek build me another custom one with the blue board.

So is the green board an upgrade to my blue/black Board? And what upgrades do you have compared to mine?

sugbob21

the green board is not an upgrade ...according to Derek the green board may have a slightly better mid range while the blue/black had slightly better bass. Maybe Derek can elaborate if he can chime in.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Thanks for that Jeff,

Thanks. Yep, just do your due diligence and really talk to the people in the industry. People who have a passion and desire and love what they do. People like Louis and Derek, Steve over at Decware and so on. They have always been very pleasant and fun to talk to. And I have learned a lot from them. Heck, I have been talking to Louis for 2 years and after many conversations and ideas we finally came to a conclusion on a speaker that would best fit my needs. A modified Super 3XRS, which I will hopefully have here in the next few weeks!

I can't wait to move so I can set up my new system!!!!!!  :D 

And as far as the TPA-3116 amp staying in my main system. I initially bought it to just get me by right now until I saved enough money for something else but I might like the synergy of it with the Omega's so much that I may end up keeping it or I have been talking more with Derek at Fleawatt where he is really dialing in and getting the most performance out of the TPA-3116's and I might have him build me another TPA-3116 on steroids.  :D Or as you know I am strongly considering a couple of different amps for my main system including the Creek Audio, Rogue Audio Sphinx and Decware Super Zen UFO. Some tough choices but whatever I decide, it will still be an amazing set up on a budget.

fleawattaudio

• Industry Participant
the green board is not an upgrade ...according to Derek the green board may have a slightly better mid range while the blue/black had slightly better bass. Maybe Derek can elaborate if he can chime in.

Out of respect for Canada Rob and keeping this thread from skidding off into the TPA3116 bushes, I'm more than happy to communicate via PM or e-mail surrounding the 3116 & anything else audio related.  I'm passionate about this hobby & will do whatever I can to help someone else enjoy it.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Out of respect for Canada Rob and keeping this thread from skidding off into the TPA3116 bushes, I'm more than happy to communicate via PM or e-mail surrounding the 3116 & anything else audio related.  I'm passionate about this hobby & will do whatever I can to help someone else enjoy it.

Yep. I agree. Thanks for the input and yes, you have helped me enjoy this hobby as well!  :D

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant

Hi Derek,

Thank you so much for your class and kind consideration. That said, being that you sell a finished product, you (and your customers) are more than welcome to come on here like any other commercial amplifier builder and recommend your product in the context of matching it with Omega speakers.  We're always interested in reading about what works with Omega.

Rob  :thumb:

fleawattaudio

• Industry Participant
Thanks Canada Rob for giving me the green light to blab away.   :thumb:  I'm always cautious of self-promotion, even though this is just a hobby for me.  I don't make any money to speak of after all my expenses & experiments, some of which don't improve the sound and are scrapped.  Most of the audiophiles who have purchased amps from me have had the desire to hear what all the fuss is about among the DIY crowd with these TPA3116D2 circuit boards, but don't have the tools, knowledge, free time or desire to build one up. I have filled that niche & combine the highly regarded YJ "Danzz" design or  green "Audiobah" circuit boards with accompanying audiophile quality parts, which produces a rather nice, triode tube-like sound for the money.  Very comparable to some of the 2A3 and 300B amps I've owned & spent time with.  The sound is probably not as "fast" sounding as a Decware Zen (had two of these) or Almarro A205 (had one of these), but does retain the spooky imaging, bloom and bass "fullness" of a quality 300B or 2A3 amp.  Anyone who has lived with a high quality 300B amp is likely familiar with the descriptive of "bloom".  The 3116 amps I build are definitely an option for someone that can't afford a tube amplifier, needs more power than low watt tube, or likes the idea of running off a battery & still producing more power than most triode tubes.  It's another sound "flavor" option for those of us in the wonderful hobby of audio. 

halitun

Hello there,
I know I'm a little late to the game.

Here's what I have set up and it's great:

Omega 3 U     $795
Amplifier Elekit 8200   $699  Tube amp.  I'm running it with 6550 power tubes so add some money for tube rolling.
LHLabs Pulse DAC  approx. $500  you could also get a Schiit Modi 2 Uber for $149  (a friend has one and it's great)
Any smart TV or Computer as music source feeding the DAC.

It sounds amazing.  I often prefer this setup to my main setup which cost multiples more.

With the Schiit DAC it's just a bit over $1,500.

restrav

I have had the LHLABS and a 15 dollar chinese DAC from Amazon would be better. one can also pick up a semi vintage MSB DAC for 200 if one looks a bit. PULSE is the worst.

cipriano

For $1500:

Super 7 Monitor MK2 - $995
Topping TP22 T-Amp - $100
Onkyo C-7030 CD Player - $150
Fiio X1 Hi-Res Player - $100
Total:                          $1345

For $3000:

Super 7 Monitor MK2 - $995
Decware Rachael Amp - $1500
Onkyo C7030 CD Player - $150
Fiio X5 Hi-Res Player - $215
Two Mullard E188CC Input Tubes to maximize the Decware - $135
Total:                           $2995

sabocat

Hello all,

An old friend of the family passed through over the holidays and he was really impressed with my bedroom system, which features Omega Super 3 high output speakers. He asked me to help him design a system for a room with dimensions of 28 by 20 feet. Budget 3 to 4 thousand.
Have at it.

I suppose the primary question would be whether or not the junior towers would be  sufficient or would the super 3 ho xrs towers be the way to go?
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2018, 01:37 pm by sabocat »

Listening-Leatherneck

NAD C368 BluOS------------------------$1,499.00 USD
Omega Super Alnico Monitor-----------$1,995.00 USD
Pro-Ject SPIDF/XLR iPod---------------$150.00 USD

hawkjeff

"Omega Super Alnico Monitor-----------$1,995.00 USD"

Curious why you chose this over the Super 8XRS Jr. I have not had the chance to hear either, but obviously the SAMs still require stands and I believe good ones are another $500. That's getting into the range of the Super 8XRS which doesn't require stands. I'm wondering if the XRS series would also be less likely to require adding subs.

NoDisco

I'd choose a Musical Paradise MP501 when on sale and careful speaker placement. I've had no desire to go back to SS or my Manley Snappers since purchased.

It took me years to figure out how to place my Omegas properly, but I get incredible headphone-like imaging now. Biggest factor in my setup it seems. More than cabling, etc. Oh and watching your equipment ground.