Pictures of my rig with Omega Speakers

dapoun

Re: Pictures of my rig with Omega Speakers
« Reply #180 on: 26 Dec 2016, 05:27 pm »
Took delivery of my Super 3xrs this past August. With well over 100 hours of breaking time, I'm really happy with the way they are sounding. In a way, they remind me of my Magnepan 1.6 which excelled in delivering spooky imaging, and lightning fast delivery. The Super 3xrs are very detailed, but never etched. At first, they sounded quite bright to me,part of the breaking process I guess. I even called Louis, and he told me "no worries they'll settle down". Settled they did, and managing to sound quite natural.

Since the introduction of a Gallo sub borrowed from a buddy of mine, I'm enjoying them even more. To be honest, I can't really go back and listen to the Super 3s without the aid of a sub. Already told Louis, when possible, sub me up!!!

In the mean time, I'm a happy camper.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #181 on: 9 Jan 2017, 02:30 am »
Took delivery of my Super 3xrs this past August. With well over 100 hours of breaking time, I'm really happy with the way they are sounding. In a way, they remind me of my Magnepan 1.6 which excelled in delivering spooky imaging, and lightning fast delivery. The Super 3xrs are very detailed, but never etched. At first, they sounded quite bright to me,part of the breaking process I guess. I even called Louis, and he told me "no worries they'll settle down". Settled they did, and managing to sound quite natural.

Since the introduction of a Gallo sub borrowed from a buddy of mine, I'm enjoying them even more. To be honest, I can't really go back and listen to the Super 3s without the aid of a sub. Already told Louis, when possible, sub me up!!!

In the mean time, I'm a happy camper.

They look lovely!  Which finish did you go with?

dapoun

« Reply #182 on: 9 Jan 2017, 02:29 pm »
Thank you tdogzthmn. The finish is Eko Mahogany, which Louis recommended. I didn't want a dark finish, or too light, but something rich. Depending on the lighting, you can detect nuances of reds, browns.... hard to believe this is a laminate finish. It's exquisite! Louis does great work.

sunnydaze

« Reply #183 on: 9 Jan 2017, 02:50 pm »
.......It's exquisite! Louis does grey work.

And sometimes, he does "great" work!       :rotflmao:

dapoun

« Reply #184 on: 9 Jan 2017, 03:00 pm »
sunnydaze, "thank you for the correction" :lol: have you introduced the second sub with your Omega Super 7's yet?

sunnydaze

« Reply #185 on: 9 Jan 2017, 06:31 pm »
sunnydaze, "thank you for the correction" :lol: have you introduced the second sub with your Omega Super 7's yet?

Not yet.....don't wanna disrupt the mojo.     8)

Snoflo

« Reply #186 on: 19 Jan 2017, 04:58 am »
Hi everybody, new member and newish Omega recruit here. I bought the Super 3i's in 2015 and they are temporarily stationed in a nondescript basement in the Caribbean! Great experience buying from Louis. 

I ordinarily run the Omegas with a Sun Audio 2A3 SET but it developed a problem in the left channel, so it's being looked at right now. In its stead is a Miniwatt handling duties. The Omegas are augmented by a sealed SVS sub. The dark blob in the left picture corner is a Sonus faber Liuto Monitor that, believe it or not, the little Omegas have replaced after much comparison. I hopefully will be ordering the Super Alnico Monitor later this year: depends whether I will have to buy a new amp or not. Thanks for accommodating my pic, everyone!

sunnydaze

« Reply #187 on: 19 Jan 2017, 02:52 pm »
The SF's are 86 db, hopefully you fed them more power than your 2A3.  Otherwise, they likely didn't reach full potential.

Snoflo

« Reply #188 on: 19 Jan 2017, 04:15 pm »
Thanks sunny, yes the SFs were previously run on a McIntosh MC150, and afterwards a Conrad Johnson MV-60SE. They sounded best with the 3W SET which resulted in me selling off all the other gear. These particular Sonus fabers seem to present an easy load for the SET.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #189 on: 19 Jan 2017, 05:51 pm »
Thanks for the picture Snoflo,

I had a similar experience with a pair of (sadly discontinued) 85dB Angstrom Pochetto II monitors and a 2w/ch Decware SE84C+.  They worked well together in a small room at medium volumes.  I spoke to the designer of the speakers and he said he designed the crossover to be tube friendly.

A couple of years later I had a pair of of (sadly discontinued) 86dB RBH MC-6C monitors which sounded incredible with 50w/ch RMS Parasound Zamp SS pre/power.  When hooked up to a 2 watt Decware, the amp clipped as soon as the soprano hit a high note.

"Efficiency" specs can only be used as a general guideline.  As in the case of the Pochettos and your Sonus Fabers there can be surprises.  All current Omegas are a stellar match for any good flea powered SET, not to mention a host of other amp types and powers.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2017, 08:00 pm by Canada Rob »

Snoflo

« Reply #190 on: 19 Jan 2017, 06:12 pm »
Thanks Rob! Yes, this has been exactly my experience. The Sonus faber Auditor Cremona M (a friend's loudspeaker) was terrible on the SET. I guess you never know till you try, even if it looks on paper to be a bad match. The Liuto has a benign impedance curve at 8 ohms so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Thank you for the anecdotes again!

ousi

« Reply #191 on: 9 May 2017, 08:02 am »
Took delivery of my Super 3 HO monitor last Saturday.

Here's a quick snap of how the system look like. My setup is a multipurpose rig for TV/Movie/Game and 2 channel. I hope to move to a bigger place so that I can have a dedicated room for audio.

First off - the craftsmanship is top-notch. Packaging is nice and easy to take out, and they arrived unscathed through FedEx.
Still breaking them in. Excellent handling time too (took around 4 weeks)

Some early impression - they sound super transparent. Although it sounds so "cliche" to say "I heard something I didn't notice before", well actually it did happen to me. There are details that I supposed are lost in crossover of my previous speakers, and now these reappear in a more apparent way. It was simply startling... I used to have speakers ranging from budget Polk Audio all the way to Focal Aria 936, as well as KEF LS50 and KEF R500. Recently went through downsizing and was using a pair of Sony SS-HA1 (300USD from eBay, excellent I would say for that price point). However, the bass sounds a bit polite compared to the other speakers I used, it's opening up though.

There's also something I noticed. Be very careful about the noise in your equipment, these monitor will amplify it without mercy. At 97dB you are going to hear the buzz/hiss from the equipment. All previous speakers I had are not efficient, and they are dead quiet. However, the Super 3 HO revealed that I do have some 60Hz buzz and some hiss from some equipment. Took me a couple hours to nail down to a overly long RCA interconnect. And one of the channels of my amp is having some 60Hz buzz (very low level, couldn't even hear it on other speakers). After swapping power cables it goes to a very minimum level.

Will be trying out with a pair of custom-ordered 10W Class-A Amp, and maybe throw in a separate Stereo preamp with HT bypass later. Currently the signal chain is:
Sony SCD-XA5400ES / Sony HAP-Z1ES / Intel NUC via HDMI -> Yamaha RX-A1060 -> NuForce STA200 (Front L/R) -> Super 3 HO

Will report back when I have more time to spend with the new setup.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #192 on: 12 May 2017, 02:39 pm »
Took delivery of my Super 3 HO monitor last Saturday.

Here's a quick snap of how the system look like. My setup is a multipurpose rig for TV/Movie/Game and 2 channel. I hope to move to a bigger place so that I can have a dedicated room for audio.

First off - the craftsmanship is top-notch. Packaging is nice and easy to take out, and they arrived unscathed through FedEx.
Still breaking them in. Excellent handling time too (took around 4 weeks)

Some early impression - they sound super transparent. Although it sounds so "cliche" to say "I heard something I didn't notice before", well actually it did happen to me. There are details that I supposed are lost in crossover of my previous speakers, and now these reappear in a more apparent way. It was simply startling... I used to have speakers ranging from budget Polk Audio all the way to Focal Aria 936, as well as KEF LS50 and KEF R500. Recently went through downsizing and was using a pair of Sony SS-HA1 (300USD from eBay, excellent I would say for that price point). However, the bass sounds a bit polite compared to the other speakers I used, it's opening up though.

There's also something I noticed. Be very careful about the noise in your equipment, these monitor will amplify it without mercy. At 97dB you are going to hear the buzz/hiss from the equipment. All previous speakers I had are not efficient, and they are dead quiet. However, the Super 3 HO revealed that I do have some 60Hz buzz and some hiss from some equipment. Took me a couple hours to nail down to a overly long RCA interconnect. And one of the channels of my amp is having some 60Hz buzz (very low level, couldn't even hear it on other speakers). After swapping power cables it goes to a very minimum level.

Will be trying out with a pair of custom-ordered 10W Class-A Amp, and maybe throw in a separate Stereo preamp with HT bypass later. Currently the signal chain is:
Sony SCD-XA5400ES / Sony HAP-Z1ES / Intel NUC via HDMI -> Yamaha RX-A1060 -> NuForce STA200 (Front L/R) -> Super 3 HO

Will report back when I have more time to spend with the new setup.

Nice speakers! The bass will for sure come around with some more time on them so give that some time. Especially due to the fact they are HO speakers. But you may still want to compliment them with a good subwoofer. I saw one in the corner of your room, what is it? The 8incher Louis makes is a perfect blend for the RS5's. You might want to check that out. I had the Super 3XRS's with built in active 8inch subs and they were amazing.

Also, if you are only doing two channel, ditch the Yamaha AVR, get an inexpensive dac from Schiit Audio or somewhere else that has multiple digital inputs and get yourself a SET amp from Decware or someone else, Kitoki maybe and believe me, your system will sound AMAZING! I had the Decware SE84 UFO powering my Omega's and was simply in awe of what I heard. Synergy is amazing with the Omega's. And the Decware was dead silent. I heard absolutely no hiss or buzz whatsoever.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #193 on: 12 May 2017, 03:50 pm »
HiFiJeff's advice is right on.  A good DAC, a good SET, and you will be amazed.  :thumb:

restrav

« Reply #194 on: 12 May 2017, 04:52 pm »
Finally got an Omega thumper to complete the family photo:

pure sex appeal <3

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #195 on: 12 May 2017, 05:46 pm »
Very nice looking system.  Looks like a Rogue Audio Sphinx doing the amp honors.  Curious as to how well it works with the Omegas.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #196 on: 8 Jul 2017, 09:11 pm »
Very nice looking system.  Looks like a Rogue Audio Sphinx doing the amp honors.  Curious as to how well it works with the Omegas.

I sold my Rogue Sphinx before getting my Omega's but it would have been nice to give the combo a try.  I did use the Sphinx mostly with Blumenstein Tritons and found the sphinx to sounds very authoritative and powerful.  Ended up getting a Fleawatt amp which was so close in performance I decided to sell the Sphinx and try out a vintage Sansui AU517 which I ended up liking a lot.  I do miss tube amps but the Sansui seems to have some of the tube magic with all the power and features I could need.

Beatlebum

« Reply #197 on: 8 Jul 2017, 09:50 pm »
Current rig. I'm really impressed with the Super Alnico HO monitors! Cheers to Louis! Dennis Had's Inspire Fire-Bottle amp is a fine match. Not having a crossover really lets the properties of my system come through.

jorgen

« Reply #198 on: 2 Aug 2017, 09:08 am »
http://www.stereopluss.no/hjemme-hos-joergen-roerende-lekkert.6017028.html

I know most of you don't understand the language and I will translate and add the text one of these days when I have less work and more spare time.
This isn't a review of any part of the system or an in depth analysis of what the systems strong or weaker sides. It's more like a presentation of system which contains products not commonly used in Norway and the path that led me to Omega and Decware.

The journalist is experienced in HiFi and is used to listening to highend systems in  ++150 000$

He writes; one would have to made out of stone both from the neck up and down not to moved by the way this system sound.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #199 on: 2 Aug 2017, 04:02 pm »
Great article, Jorgen!  :thumb:   I think it conveys the experience very well.

I read it using Google translate, it makes a lot of mistakes but it's not hard to decipher the meaning.