Anyone try ROCKSMITH?

Rclark

Anyone try ROCKSMITH?
« on: 19 Dec 2012, 11:22 pm »
It's only $30 on Amazon, new, shipped. I've always wanted to learn guitar and this seems like the ultimate way to do it, in realtime with a computer tracking how you play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhVpLh6cfqE

http://www.amazon.com/Rocksmith-Playstation-3/dp/B004S5TDL0/ref=sr_1_1_title_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1355958790&sr=1-1&keywords=rocksmith

This isn't guitar hero, this is you plug a real guitar into your console or PC and learn how to play. Also available for bass guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gDobkY5GLA

Rclark

Re: Anyone try ROCKSMITH?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2012, 11:34 pm »
I"m going for it. Sounds too awesome. Order placed.

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-us/home/index.aspx

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2012, 05:40 am »
So my plan is to go to a pawn store and spend less than $100 for a guitar. Anything I should look out for?

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2012, 06:22 am »
Looks awesome keep us posted how it turns out.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2012, 06:52 am »
Will do, I'm pretty pumped. I like the DLC for it too. Looking forward to buying a not too crappy guitar to start with.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2012, 11:57 am »
I picked this up a few months ago. It's a fun way to spend some time.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2012, 02:17 am »
Moving fast on this. My friend Kelsey just sold me her all black Ibanez RG for $80, never used lol. It's even tuned up. Anyway, I'm ready for when the bluray arrives.  :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2012, 02:31 am »
Moving fast on this. My friend Kelsey just sold me her all black Ibanez RG for $80, never used lol. It's even tuned up. Anyway, I'm ready for when the bluray arrives.  :thumb:
Is she hot?

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2012, 02:51 am »
Hell yes!

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 26 Dec 2012, 09:25 pm »
IT'S AWESOME!!!!!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Rocksmith where have you been all my life...

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2012, 09:43 pm »
Sweet!!!  :thumb:

PS: I hope she's not actually "hot".  :?

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2012, 10:17 pm »
I'll give a review later but basically this is everything you could ever want in an encyclopedic, ever patient, always on guitar teacher. It is absolutely the most fabulous invention of all time.

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2012, 02:13 am »
Ok, here's my initial review.

My goal is to put a lot of time into this, at least a few hours a day. My humble dream right now is: I have several, several friends in bands, and I'd love to be able to come up on stage and accompany just one song.

So far I've spent the entire day playing guitar and no intention of stopping. I can't imaging having the same desire to just keep going with notes from an instructor or from reading a how to play book. This is teaching you in so many different ways and it's so damn fun and addictive, you just want to keep practicing and practicing, nonstop.

This thing has you practicing varieties of techniques, learning songs, in a highly addictive manner. Perfect.

I've never played a lick of guitar in my life and I've already mastered the riff to Heart's Barracuda, slide, harmonic and all, just today. I can't do it every time, but after doing it over and over and over again, guided by the software, which is listening to and correcting everything I play, telling me how I'm doing, scoring me, it's just amazing.

There are your basic old school type tutorial  videos, dozens of them, etc, lots of how to's, you know, old school type learning, but the crux of this is the software. Start a song, the dynamic ability guage ramps up difficulty on the fly, keeps track of everything, and you do do it all, harmonics, tremelo, the software hears and understands everything you are doing on the guitar.

For learning a song, there's several ways, you can keep playing through the song, and you can play single notes, chords, combo of the two, there's the leveler, which takes you through the song section by section until you've mastered it, hit a wrong note, it BACKS UP, there's the riff repeater (how I learned Barracuda), the riff over and over again, simpler to harder until you have 100% mastery.

On and on, there are so many modes. You can even just use it as an amp. Your stereo (my god my system is an incredible guitar amp) is your amplifier and the software provides dozens and dozens of different tone profiles, pedals, effects, even simulates different guitars...

You can even adjust things like ok I've got this Fender cabinet and I want to hear it off axis.. very detailed..

There's even Bass.. Yes, you can learn bass, and you can have a bass plugged in as well, or a second guitar, and have a friend accompany you!

There's going to be a constant barrage of downloadable songs, I've already bought some, I also bought the "Metal Tone Pack" which has given me several new tone profiles.

There are minigames like Super Ducks which is a Galaga type game which you have to hit correct notes to kill the ducks coming at you, Dawn of the Chordead, where you have to play the correct chord shown to kill the zombies coming at you, and several others which build up other types of skills.

So much to it.. This has become my instant new hobby, I am absolutely now determined to master the guitar now that this has presented itself.

I HIGHLY recommend you check it out. They have it for PC too, if you don't have a PS3 or XBOX 360.

20/10. Masterpiece.

These guys cover it pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR-kNFZPdYs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONR4NYNWD3M

Rocket

« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2012, 10:06 am »
Hi,

Rocksmith sounds great.  I wish it was out when I tried to play guitar a few years back.  I gave up in discuss at my playing abilities.

Cheers Rod

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2012, 02:16 pm »
Rclark,

Try giving these techniques a try after you turn the game off.  After the musician finishes the solo he teaches different techniques famous guitarists use to create their sound.  It's awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaAkWy55V3A

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2012, 12:20 am »
Thanks I will.

Hey Rocket I just stayed up all night with this thing, and I'm back on it. I've probably played guitar for 15 hours. I can't imagine accomplishing that any other way.

And back to it. The technique challenges are amazing.