'old' BP20 vs. newer BP20/25/26

Alfalfa

'old' BP20 vs. newer BP20/25/26
« on: 28 Jul 2011, 07:29 pm »
While i'm currently re-enjoying music through the old BP20 more than I can remember (with the older type power supply which is a humming champion), the limitations of my current sound are limited transparancy, detail  and to my ears a perceived thinness to instruments and voices.  A bit more control in the lower octaves would be welcome too.

The rest of my system is:

Musical Fidelity Nuvista 3D
Bryston 7B ST's
PMC IB2

I am interested to hear your opinions about upgrading my system with moderate investment. Although I have read about Bryston's feature vs. price phylosophy, I am wondering if my BP20 with old non upgradable power supply is soundwise below the performance of it's 'upgraded' versions. And if so, in which areas should I expect upgrades?

Re-reading the forum, I'm thinking that Bryston must be the only company that is not trying to sell it's higher priced products as better sounding, as much as it's (potential) buyers want to hear and velieve this.

Would you please share your thoughts and experiences about quality differences of different Bryston preamps?

SoundGame

Re: 'old' BP20 vs. newer BP20/25/26
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2011, 09:03 pm »
The BP20 is exactly the same as the BP25, except that the BP25 has a motorized volume pot (they have the same manual, as well).  The key to improving performance on the BP20 and BP25 is upgrading the power supply.  The first step is to ensure you have the latest MPS-1 or if you have the cash move to a MPS-2. 

My understanding is that a BP20/25 with an MPS-2 would be very close to the performance of the BP26. 

What I'm not sure of - waiting for James on another thread to respond - is how the BP6 would compare to the BP25 running single ended / RCA.  Based on Bryston's philosophy of evolution - the BP6 should outperform the BP25 when running single ended.  I'm not sure if the BP25 would have the edge over the BP6, when factoring in balancedstill  but I would think so - that would still be a feature difference and therefore, consistent with Bryston philosophy.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2011, 09:19 pm »
I'm sure James will eventually let us know. I believe he's waiting to hear from engineering on that one.

Hicham

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2011, 09:31 pm »
I'm sure James will eventually let us know. I believe he's waiting to hear from engineering on that one.
Please, permit me to ask why diverting this thread into a different subject?

thank you

BrysTony

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2011, 09:42 pm »
Please, permit me to ask why diverting this thread into a different subject?

thank you

Welcome to the forum Hicham.  Since the OP asked for opinions on upgrading his system and asked about the BP20/25/26 it is logical to question where the BP6 fits in that chain -- and we are awaiting info on that from another thread.  I don't think this was a diversion or hijacking, although that has been known to happen.   :D

Tony

Hicham

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2011, 09:59 pm »
Welcome to the forum Hicham.  Since the OP asked for opinions on upgrading his system and asked about the BP20/25/26 it is logical to question where the BP6 fits in that chain -- and we are awaiting info on that from another thread.  I don't think this was a diversion or hijacking, although that has been known to happen.   :D

Tony
Hi Tony, I always thought the BP6 is not part of the Bryston category or family of Preamps with an outboard power supply?

thank you

SoundGame

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2011, 10:26 pm »
Hi Tony, I always thought the BP6 is not part of the Bryston category or family of Preamps with an outboard power supply?

thank you

Hi Hicham - sorry, but your assumption is incorrect - as James has made clear on another thread - the BP6 is very close in performance to the BP26, with the same gain stage.  This would also be the case for the BP16.  Now - back to this thread.  It would be best for the OP to have all the details on all the Bryston preamps and their features to make an educated decision on what best meets their needs.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2011, 10:28 pm »
Hi Hicham - sorry, but your assumption is incorrect - as James has made clear on another thread - the BP6 is very close in performance to the BP26, with the same gain stage.  This would also be the case for the BP16.  Now - back to this thread.  It would be best for the OP to have all the details on all the Bryston preamps and their features to make an educated decision on what best meets their needs.

Exactly. You nailed it.

BrysTony

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2011, 10:45 pm »

thank you

Agree with SoundGame's comment above.  While the BP-6 does not have an external power supply that does not mean the sound quality delivered to the listener is lower than a preamp with an external power supply. 
Tony

srb

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2011, 11:13 pm »
While the BP-6 does not have an external power supply that does not mean the sound quality delivered to the listener is lower than a preamp with an external power supply.

I think what is confusing to many people is that the BP-26 literature states "The power supply (MPS-2) is mounted externally to eliminate power-supply noise interference.".

If the power supply noise interference of an internal supply is not audible, then why give that as a reason to have an external power supply?  It would probably better to just remove that line from the literature.

Steve

Hicham

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2011, 11:26 pm »
What would be now the wise direction for our dear Alfalfa, to upgrade or to replace the Preamp?

Hicham

spinner

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jul 2011, 12:53 am »
Alfala, does your BP20 have the old supply. My 25 has the second version iwth thw toroidial  transformer?. It works very well and is dead quiet.

SoundGame

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jul 2011, 01:03 am »
What would be now the wise direction for our dear Alfalfa, to upgrade or to replace the Preamp?

Hicham

My personal recommendation would be as follows - and in the following order:

If you can live without a remote - look first to upgrade the BP20 power supply to an MPS-1 for starts.

If you need a remote then you should consider the BP25 with an MPS-1 supply

If you've got some cash to spend and you would like to get into the new C-Series asthetics and refined parts then consider the BP6, BP16 or perhaps the BP26.  The features you need will be the deciding factor on the model.

Hicham

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jul 2011, 01:55 am »
Tony please can you elaborate and expand on this good/logic 3 points plan in terms of the expected budget and how to practically go about the execution. Thank you

Alfalfa

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2011, 08:22 am »
Some years ago when the MPS-2 external power supply came out, I learned from James Tanner that the old BP20 model that I have could not be upgraded with it (it does not have the MPS-1, cannot remember the numbers). Because of this I am still using my ancient humming power supply.

My point is that from reading this forum I'm not made to believe that changing Bryston preamps will lead to better sound from my system, which is where I will be most motivated to spend my money on.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jul 2011, 11:56 am »
Hi Folks,

Some people have asked about the different preamps (BP26/BP16/BP6) we offer and which one they should purchase.

I guess the best answer is... given the options and features the BP26 is our best preamp - but it is incorrect to think there are large performance differences between our preamps.  They all use the same gain stage and BRYSTON does not build better/best products.

It is the same as our power amps - a 4B costs more than a 2B but the performance is the same - but the 4B has much more power than the 2B.

The BP26 has many more inputs and has a balanced XLR option 'in and out' and has a slightly better noise floor due to the external power supply.  The BP16 offers full remote control and pass-through option. In other words the differences in our products are based on application and feature differences not basic performance differences.

I think it makes sense to build the same quality in all our products and then our customers can decide what best suits their particular system.

Hope this helps.

james

Alfalfa

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jul 2011, 12:15 pm »

Thank you Mr. Tanner!  8)

But, do you think the same answer applies to the B20 with old external powersupply vs. the versions with the MPS-1 or -2? Or should I better save some $$$$ + $$$$  :oops: to get into newer generations of the Bryston power amplifiers when looking for more quality?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jul 2011, 12:33 pm »
Thank you Mr. Tanner!  8)

But, do you think the same answer applies to the B20 with old external powersupply vs. the versions with the MPS-1 or -2? Or should I better save some $$$$ + $$$$  :oops: to get into newer generations of the Bryston power amplifiers when looking for more quality?

Hi

The MPS-1 is better because it is a DC power supply.

james

spinner

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jul 2011, 04:19 pm »
Thanks James , well said.............. :thumb:

SoundGame

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jul 2011, 09:34 pm »
Hi Folks,

Some people have asked about the different preamps (BP26/BP16/BP6) we offer and which one they should purchase.

I guess the best answer is... given the options and features the BP26 is our best preamp - but it is incorrect to think there are large performance differences between our preamps.  They all use the same gain stage and BRYSTON does not build better/best products.

It is the same as our power amps - a 4B costs more than a 2B but the performance is the same - but the 4B has much more power than the 2B.

The BP26 has many more inputs and has a balanced XLR option 'in and out' and has a slightly better noise floor due to the external power supply.  The BP16 offers full remote control and pass-through option. In other words the differences in our products are based on application and feature differences not basic performance differences.

I think it makes sense to build the same quality in all our products and then our customers can decide what best suits their particular system.

Hope this helps.

james

This is an interesting point, as it make's me realize that if I've found an amplifier in the Bryston line that gives me sufficient power for my application i.e. is a match to my speakers and room size, then it makes little to no difference in terms of sonic improvements to move up the Bryston line.  So given that my speakers only need 150w/ch to operate at an optimum level then using a 4B-SST/2 or a 14B-SST2 should make little to no difference.  This is Great and another reason to LOVE Bryston.