Older BMW 3 series /mistake? /X3 suv?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Older BMW 3 series /mistake? /X3 suv?
« Reply #140 on: 21 Jul 2018, 03:18 pm »
$1500 for headlights?  :o
Sorry, I just don't get it.  I understand that we have a lot of wealth here at AC, but unless thousands don't register as significant figures to your net worth, that's crazy for something that cost $35 on a basic vehicle.   You guys enjoy your BMW's...  I'll drive my Camry or Accord, bury it after a quarter million miles, then do it again.

stlrman

« Reply #141 on: 21 Jul 2018, 05:24 pm »
Yeah , it’s your guy.
It’s not like I have a Ferrari, and need it race ready tuned. I probably could have taken it locally and paid under $200 to pass.
Then he calls me yesterday telling me it will be an additional $1400 to fix the front headlight. My wife and I are furious!!! He did all the work , then tells us it will be $1400 more because the light housing is broken.
 If he had told us it was $4100 which was his initial quote of $2700 plus $1400 , I would have said no way , don’t touch it !!
Now we are out $2200 , I got him to cut out a few things , and I have no light for inspection.
This must be a joke to charge someone $4100 for a car that’s not even worth that on a trade in .
I should have told him not to touch it!!!
Now I’m fucked again!!
I’ll give specifics when I’m back in Pittsburgh and pick up the car.

S Clark

« Reply #142 on: 21 Jul 2018, 06:14 pm »
Wow.  Sorry to hear how this has turned out for you.  Broken headlight housing?? $3.50 for a tube of epoxy glue. 
I really wouldn't put another dime into this thing because you are not likely to keep it.   Get it past inspection and sell it.  If it won't pass inspection, take your lumps and sell it anyway. 
But your pain is a warning to the rest of us.  Audiophiles like our toys.  And cool cars are appealing.  I've actually looked a bit at the new Fiat/Mazda Spider for around $25K.  Think I'll just buy a Toyota Highlander. 

Philistine

« Reply #143 on: 21 Jul 2018, 09:52 pm »
I had the headlights replaced by insurance and had a parts breakdown: new adaptive xenons listed at $750 each, so don't know where the $1500 is coming from? 
You can pick up a used one from eBay for $250 - $350, then it's going to have to be fitted and coded.  Maybe $150?

I gave you my contact number if you need help....I don't mind calling him and helping find a lower cost fix.

Folsom

« Reply #144 on: 22 Jul 2018, 01:26 am »
Wow.  Sorry to hear how this has turned out for you.  Broken headlight housing?? $3.50 for a tube of epoxy glue. 
I really wouldn't put another dime into this thing because you are not likely to keep it.   Get it past inspection and sell it.  If it won't pass inspection, take your lumps and sell it anyway. 
But your pain is a warning to the rest of us.  Audiophiles like our toys.  And cool cars are appealing.  I've actually looked a bit at the new Fiat/Mazda Spider for around $25K.  Think I'll just buy a Toyota Highlander.

Have you looked at the CR-V? I think it's the best buy this year. It has room galore, amazing gas mileage, and it's very up to date. I haven't looked in the highlander as much, but the Rav4 blows this year compared to the CR-V.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #145 on: 22 Jul 2018, 02:48 am »
Have you looked at the CR-V? I think it's the best buy this year. It has room galore, amazing gas mileage, and it's very up to date. I haven't looked in the highlander as much, but the Rav4 blows this year compared to the CR-V.

Actually, the new RAV4 seems like it has leapfrogged the CR-V.

Check out the reviews.

George

Folsom

« Reply #146 on: 22 Jul 2018, 03:32 am »
If it isnt a 2019, then I doubt it. The 2018 I have seen seems like a joke. It is hardly more than a face lifted version of my 2009. It is awd without a turbo, so it is slower than ever. CR-V has more room, more engine (turbo), and more mpg... and doesnt have a poorly sized integrated infotainment to fit yesteryears dash.

S Clark

« Reply #147 on: 22 Jul 2018, 04:26 am »
I've owned both, and gotten great value from each.  The plan was to replace my wife's RAV4 this year, but decided on a Kilimanjaro vacation instead.  The Toyota only has about 190K, so I suspect it's good for another year.  Don't think I'll be looking BMWs. 

stlrman

« Reply #148 on: 24 Jul 2018, 10:52 pm »
How does my step daughter’s $250 piece of shit car pass with $250 worth of work??!!!
And my BMW needs $4100 !!???  Hahahahaha
Here is the bill, down from $2200 as he didn’t do some work:

JakeJ

« Reply #149 on: 25 Jul 2018, 03:49 am »
Dude!  You should black out your personal info on that receipt.  Just a piece of paper over that area would suffice.

stlrman

« Reply #150 on: 27 Dec 2018, 01:16 pm »
God , please forgive me for my sin of buying this piece of shit BMW!!!

Now my heat is not working !!! I’m sure it’s a 2 thousand dollar fix .
Also , got a recall notice that the  heat / ac unit may blow up. To get it fixed at BMW dealership. I wonder if BMW will fix the heat for free ???!!!
Haha , BMW will rape me , I’m sure .

It was making a high pitch rattling noise the past few days .

I’m at my wits end with this car !!! 

This is after my $2700 inspection. !!!

I can’t afford to dump this car , still owe a couple  of years on it, can’t get shit for a trade in
And I can’t afford to own this vehicle.

I’m exasperated!!!!

twitch54

« Reply #151 on: 27 Dec 2018, 02:39 pm »
cut your loses and go buy a Honda ......... If it makes you feel any better a buddy of mine had to replace his headlight bucket assembly on his 911...... $2500 !!!

doorman

« Reply #152 on: 27 Dec 2018, 02:48 pm »
My daughter has virtually the same car.
It’s been an ugly, Uber expensive mistake from the get-go.
It now sits in disgrace, like some naughty kid, beside the driveway, quietly leaking various fluids, waiting to be towed into oblivion.
It’s been a total disappointment.

Bemopti123

« Reply #153 on: 27 Dec 2018, 03:52 pm »
Those marquee brand cars are all expensive mistakes.  My bro purchased an used Bimmer with all the gadgets...said it was worth 75K but I got it for 42K with just 24K miles on it. FF a couple of years, according to my sister in law, the car spends more time under the shop roof than on the road.  My brother quoted me on some specialized air regulated struts that cost around 6K for all 4 of them.  I mean, rip, uber rip.  Yesterday he came to pick me up driving his wife's Honda CRV.  jajajaja.  No Bimmer for sure.  :thumb:

Maceo23

« Reply #154 on: 27 Dec 2018, 04:13 pm »
I own an auto repair and body shop.  We originally opened in the early 80's specializing on European cars, now we work on everything under the sun.  That being said, I haven't been able to recommend any European cars for the last 15 years.

stlrman

« Reply #155 on: 27 Dec 2018, 04:19 pm »
Thanks for the input gentlemen!!

The average cost for a BMW 328i heater core replacement is between $982 and $1681. Labor costs are estimated between $800 and $1499 while parts are priced at $182. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.

Plus I need $1500 front headlight.

F me !!!

Bemopti123

« Reply #156 on: 27 Dec 2018, 05:58 pm »
Thanks for the input gentlemen!!

The average cost for a BMW 328i heater core replacement is between $982 and $1681. Labor costs are estimated between $800 and $1499 while parts are priced at $182. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.

Plus I need $1500 front headlight.

F me !!!

I would cut the loss and take the car to a junkyard.  Unless a dealer wants to deal with it which I doubt.  Get yourself a reliable Japanese/US made car.  You will be in for a pleasant surprise.  Much easier on the wallet.  Want performance go for one of those hot subies. 

stlrman

« Reply #157 on: 27 Dec 2018, 06:33 pm »
I am NOT going to junk my car because the heater is broken !!

I still owe 6 grand on it !!!

Maceo23

« Reply #158 on: 27 Dec 2018, 07:29 pm »
Do you know that its the heater core?

stlrman

« Reply #159 on: 27 Dec 2018, 09:25 pm »
No , I don’t . I am assuming it is , as there is nothing coming out of the air vents. Just dead .