BMR Monitors

maplemusic

BMR Monitors
« on: 19 Apr 2019, 05:27 am »
What is the veneer and finish of the BMR monitors on your web site? The ones on the left. They look gorgeous.

jsalk

Re: BMR Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2019, 10:38 am »
What is the veneer and finish of the BMR monitors on your web site? The ones on the left. They look gorgeous.

That is pau ferro rosewood. We've done quite a few pairs of BMR's over the years, but we normally didn't take pictures.  So we'll be adding more as time goes on.

- Jim

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2019, 02:31 pm »
I want to see them but I can't find them???

Gene

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2019, 03:04 pm »
I want to see them but I can't find them???

Gene

We are currently working on the web page for this design.  When we are satisfied that it is finished, we will add it to the product drop-down menu.  Until then, you can see it directly at http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=BMR%20Monitors.

- Jim

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2019, 04:06 pm »
We are currently working on the web page for this design.  When we are satisfied that it is finished, we will add it to the product drop-down menu.  Until then, you can see it directly at http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=BMR%20Monitors.

- Jim

Couldn't help but proofread:

SCANSPEAK WOOFER
This is the latest iteration of the classic ScanSpeak 8545 woofer that has broven itself over the years as a solid performer.

excited to see you'll be offering these and that's a great finish.

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2019, 04:37 pm »
Couldn't help but proofread:

SCANSPEAK WOOFER
This is the latest iteration of the classic ScanSpeak 8545 woofer that has broven itself over the years as a solid performer.

excited to see you'll be offering these and that's a great finish.

Fixed it.  Like I said, the page is a work in progress.  If you notice anything else, let us know.

Thanks.

- Jim

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2019, 05:12 pm »
Well, there's "reasonalbe" should be "reasonable" and "Not wanted to see" should probably be "Not wanting to see".

I am curious about the crossover frequencies - if they are not a secret?

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2019, 05:21 pm »
Thanks Jim.

Now I can see them and yes that finish is great, just as my little Walnut WOW1's are so nice looking and sounding.  :thumb:

Gene

ColSanderz

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2019, 12:54 am »
Well, there's "reasonalbe" should be "reasonable" and "Not wanted to see" should probably be "Not wanting to see".

I'm pretty sure I remember Dennis saying that he runs the BMR unit from 600 Hz - 3800 Hz with steep slopes on either side.

Those frequencies line up nicely with the specs for all three drivers, so I'd assume the crossovers are around there :)

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2019, 12:27 pm »

John,

A nice very objective and subjective review was written by James Larson here on Audioholics:
https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/bmr-philharmonitor-1

It is the only design from Dennis Murphy (& Salk) that has peaked my interest in all these years.

Crossover points are 600Hz & 3.5khz, 24dB/octave.

Best,
Anand.

RonN5

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2019, 01:00 pm »
there are a lot of Dennis and BMR fans over on AVS....here is a link....lots to read if you have the interest/time.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1348949-philharmonic-audio-dennis-murphy-278.html#post57928254

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2019, 07:29 pm »
there are a lot of Dennis and BMR fans over on AVS....here is a link....lots to read if you have the interest/time.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1348949-philharmonic-audio-dennis-murphy-278.html#post57928254

Oh dear, don't let the last  couple of pages scare you off. LADIY and mario came on recently and stirred up a lot of "trouble." Really, some people.  :roll:

Saturn94

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2019, 08:35 pm »
Misunderstandings and tempers aside, some good points were made in that thread.

I just wish Dennis the best.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2019, 09:25 pm »
An outstanding gentleman with the audio community’s interests at heart. Get well soon Dennis.

Saturn94

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2019, 09:31 pm »
An outstanding gentleman with the audio community’s interests at heart. Get well soon Dennis.

Well said!

R Swerdlow

« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2019, 03:53 pm »
Last summer, I had the opportunity to listen to a pair of BMR speakers that Dennis built for the BMR Road Trip.  Dennis brought them over to my house (15 miles away), and we listened together.

Dennis has always said that my family room has great sounding bass.  With the speaker and listening positions, there are no major bass cancellations that lead to weak, one-note bass.  I'm just lucky.  Anyway, Dennis wanted to compare the BMR's bass to that of my Veracity ST speakers (that I love).  So we listened to a lot of music for about 2 hours.  And I got to listen carefully to the BMRs in my home, while comparing them directly to Veracity STs.  So, I thought I would comment here as well.

First of all, I'm glad to see Jim Salk plans to continue this worthy design.  I expect the price will rise, but they are a unique, high-value speaker.

There are a number of clear differences between these speakers.  The BMR is a 3-way stand-mounted design, and the Veracity ST (VST) speakers are floor standing 2-way MTM design.  The BMR's bass (7" woofer in a ported cabinet) is good sounding, but clearly less potent than the VST's twin 6" mid woofers in a larger mass loaded transmission line cabinet.  That is the most obvious difference.  And I don't think anyone would be too surprised by that.

But the comparison of mid-range performance between these two speakers become more interesting.  Both speakers have features I really like.  I am far from dissatisfied with my VSTs, I love them and will happily keep them.  But if I had to pick one design over the other based only on their ability to disperse mid-range and create images and the illusion of a realistic sound stage, I'd give the nod to the BMR.  These speakers, with their unusual 2½" flat mid-range driver, may be Dennis's best effort at casting a realistic and widely dispersed sound stage.  At least, they sounded like that to me in my family room.  So I'm glad to see this design will continue to be available.

See my comments, written a year ago, BMR Road Trip Kickoff  https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/bmr-road-trip-kickoff.111717/
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2019, 06:46 pm by R Swerdlow »

bajaed

« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2019, 05:23 pm »
At 85db, what kind of power do these  need?

Bet they sound amazing.

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2019, 06:31 pm »

Oh dear, don't let the last  couple of pages scare you off. LADIY and mario came on recently and stirred up a lot of "trouble." Really, some people.  :roll:

I responded to the above mentioned thread in order to address the "pricing issues" these posters alluded to.

- Jim

R Swerdlow

« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2019, 06:39 pm »
At 85db, what kind of power do these  need?
Both Dennis and Jim recommend 100 watts/channel.  When I heard them, I had 200 wpc available, but nothing I heard suggested 100 wpc would not be enough.  If Jim and Dennis recommend 100 wpc, I think you can take that to the bank.  Depending on your listening preferences and room acoustic peculiarities, less than 100 might do as well.

Dennis and Jim have always estimated sensitivity conservatively.  In other words, they don't exaggerate.  In contrast, I can think of a number of commercial speaker manufacturers that take the opposite approach.  Their sensitivity numbers are often much higher, 3 to 6 dB higher, than what 3rd party measurements observe.  With that in mind, I remind readers and shoppers that comparing speaker sensitivity numbers from different manufacturers can be like comparing apples and oranges.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2019, 04:25 am by R Swerdlow »

Saturn94

« Reply #19 on: 21 Apr 2019, 09:25 pm »
Last summer, I had the opportunity to listen to a pair of BMR speakers that Dennis built for the BMR Road Trip.  Dennis brought them over to my house (15 miles away), and we listened together.

Dennis has always said that my family room has great sounding bass.  With the speaker and listening positions, there are no major bass cancellations that lead to weak, one-note bass.  I'm just lucky.  Anyway, Dennis wanted to compare the BMR's bass to that of my Veracity ST speakers (that I love).  So we listened to a lot of music for about 2 hours.  And I got to listen carefully to the BMRs in my home, while comparing them directly to Veracity STs.  So, I thought I would comment here as well.

First of all, I'm glad to see Jim Salk plans to continue this worthy design.  I expect the price will rise, but they are a unique, high-value speaker.

There are a number of clear differences between these speakers.  The BMR is a 3-way stand-mounted design, and the Veracity ST (VST) speakers are floor standing 2-way MTM design.  The BMR's bass (7" woofer in a ported cabinet) is good sounding, but clearly less potent than the VST's twin 6" mid woofers in a larger mass loaded transmission line cabinet.  That is the most obvious difference.  And I don't think anyone would be too surprised by that.

But the comparison of mid-range performance between these two speakers become more interesting.  Both speakers have features I really like.  I am far from dissatisfied with my VSTs, I love them and will happily keep them.  But if I had to pick one design over the other based only on their ability to disperse mid-range and create images and the illusion of a realistic sound stage, I'd give the nod to the BMR.  These speakers, with their unusual 2½" flat mid-range driver, may be Dennis's best effort at casting a realistic and widely dispersed sound stage.  At least, they sounded like that to me in my family room.  So I'm glad to see this design will continue to be available.

See my comments, written a year ago, BMR Road Trip Kickoff  https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/bmr-road-trip-kickoff.111717/

I regret that I missed the BMR road trip. :(